Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 167435

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 14:29   #81
pieman1

Default swirl rod !

Thanks for that I had my pipe replaced at a Volvo dealer thinking it was a big pipe for the cost £108.00 ! until I look at the invoice and £4.00 robbing sods !

They said they did a modification hence the cost but when I had it checked out no mods had been done !

Two weeks latter fault code 167 042 and loss of power checked it out myself to find the arm off on the block side ! So its going back to Johnson's and there going to do the job properly !!!

My own fault for trusting a main stealer !!!
pieman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 14:42   #82
VVTi

When I bought my 2007 XC90 I was going to put the bump stop on, but when I checked the limit of the arm moment (to set the bump stop) it didn't actually move to its extreme limits. Nor does it do the self calibrate every 5th shut down (or even after 10 as I kept checking it) which it did on my 2007 V70, so I don't know if Volvo have changed anything to help this issue?
XC90 D5 185 SE manual
VVTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 20:40   #83
mark2cars

Hi Bic1, Your pictures of the swirl arm fix seem to be no longer available on the link (you posted in 2010 !).
Mine has gone on a 2008 V70 D5. Any chance you could make pics available again please ?? I know its a long shot, but your descriptions back then seem to fit my problem....
Cheers, Mark
markrigby3@gmail.com
mark2cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 13:15   #84
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile pics

Hi Mark,

I have some pics of the volvo 'nail' kit fix if you would like, or was it the
bump stop mod your looking for?

Post a pic of your linkage, there are a couple of versions, my D5 has the
socket on the butterfly end where one of the 4 retainers had broken off,
see pic ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl_arm_socket.JPG (107.7 KB, 567 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 10:40   #85
mark2cars

Hi Thassos,
Mine is just like your picture at the 'flap end' but I can't get the camera in there to take pic. At the actuator end it does not have a ball & socket but just a kind of pin (see photo). In fact I popped it back on yesterday and it is still there, we'll see how long it stays on. It went on far too easily so the retaining clips must be broken. I find it unbelievable that Volvo main dealer can try and rip people off, they quoted me £691 to fix this plastic arm!! TBH the car did not feel any different whatsoever with it on and working. So a quick fix method just to keep the ball in the socket is what is needed. As many have pointed out, access to it is the most difficult part...
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:22   #86
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Large bills & cost effective fixes :)

Hi Mark,

The £large bill volvo are quoting is probably to remove the head and replace the entire plastic throttle assembly, however dealers do fit the 'nail' kit where it can be used. It really depends on how badly the socket on the butterfly is damaged, but i would think for most people the modification is the best route (mines still going strong after 30-40k miles). The bump stop is the best investment as it will reduce the strain on the linkage each time it calibrates (every 5 switch offs).. Fixing the throttles in one place isnt a great solution as they do perform a function.. see attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf swirl_Pages.pdf (103.1 KB, 212 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 20:38   #87
mark2cars

Great help Thassos, thanks. I will order the 'nail' kit, is this it http://www.volvopartshop.com/swirl-t...91-12423-p.asp or maybe find suitable tiny nut & bolt, melt a hole like others have done and file the head of the bolt down so it doesn't snag and put two nuts on to lock in place slightly loose to allow movement. If I end up wrecking the arm do you know the part number for 2008 D5 arm?
Your bump stop looks a little more tricky - I could not make out on the pics how you'd actually attached it?

Last edited by mark2cars; Jan 14th, 2015 at 20:40.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 13:09   #88
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile the fix

Hi Mark,

I used one of the existing fixings for the stepper motor, the bracket isnt the prettiest but as it worked perfectly i left it as is !, the pic attached should help with making the bracket.

Ill email you some other stuff on how to fit the nail kit, as its quite tricky to make the hole with the very limited space..

31293291 is the part number for the 'nail' kit, although volvo dealers arent so keen to provide part numbers on the phone these days, but this should come up as a 'service kit' its a great fix considering the limited space, i wouldn't try the small bolt idea as this might weaken the butterfly plus you also don't have room for the bolt head/nut where the casting will get in the way as the arm moves fully back.

Hope thats useful !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bump_fixing957.JPG (129.9 KB, 609 views)

Last edited by Thassos; Jan 16th, 2015 at 13:10. Reason: attaching pic !
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 12:14   #89
mark2cars

Thassos, You are correct again of course, having had a go this-morning the limited space is a real issue.
Having pushed the arm back on a few days ago it had come off again by now. Had to start the engine this time and get someone to give the engine about 2500rpm to get the servo end far enough forward to clip it back on again. It will not stay on I know, it's too loose now. I presume to do the 'nail fix' I have to take the arm off the stepper motor end. I'll try and make your bump stop before wasting a new arm. At least I'm not wasting and arm & a leg !
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 17:58   #90
V70D5Sport
V70D5Sport

Default Bolt and nut

Hi, having read through the complete trail I got a good idea of the issues, and for this thanks all who have left helpful information and suggestions.
My arm popped off a while ago, and at the time had no idea what the issues were. The Volvo dealer quoted about £140 plus the arm and modification kit about £7. I also enquired at a local garage I sometimes use, and he said he'd just done a repair on another D5 which entailed making a hole through and inserting a split pin. This seemed to be OK for many moths until a few days ago when I got the rev limit when I open up to overtake. I discovered the arm was loose and the split pin bent; obviously not strong enough.
I have now been quoted £80+ for parts (must be the full butterfly assembly) plus ??£80+ labour depending on how the job went!
I then decided to investigate and read this thread. I have today inserted a small bolt, with great difficulty of course given the limited space. Managed it by holding the nut with some forceps and starting the thread with a small screwdriver. I've used thread lock so hopefully it wont come undone. Seems to operate fine. By the way I used a countersunk head bolt so it clears the casting. Thankfully one stage, possibly one of the most difficult that is forming the holes, was already done for me by the previous repair. The most difficult was staring the nut on the thread and I lost one nut before coming up with the idea to use a forceps to hold it. I'm just wondering if I should have put a washer between the plastic parts. Any thoughts?
Tomorrow my task is to make and fit the bump stop so helpfully designed by bic1 (thanks for that) so hopefully the system will not overstrain the repair.
Then its fingers crossed.
V70D5Sport is offline   Reply With Quote