Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86117

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 16:15   #361
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Any pics of what T pieces we are talking about....just so I can perhaps check mine next week, or at least sound faintly knowledgable when asking them about them?!
I think there is a before and after photo alongside each other for comparison somewhere, but this at least shows the T-piece that has been removed from cars that have had EGR problems within the last 18mths or so.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1828
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 17:11   #362
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
OK, I re-checked my 'recall' paperwork; I will paraphrase as it is in French:
Safety reminder R29939 received last August. Context - there is a possibility of manifold deforming/melting and possible fire. Technical solution being worked on - in the meantime if you notice any burning smells, etc. contact your dealer.

R29948 received at end of December.
Context - melting/deformation of manifold - possibility of fire in engine compartment. During the summer you received a safety reminder (R29939) explaining that a technical solution was being worked on. We are now commencing a technical solution for the concerned vehicles.
Action for R29948 - Volvo Cars are now in position to commence updating concerned vehicles with the aid of improved software and renewal of the EGR coolant circuit. Contact your local dealer, etc, etc.

In other words, although they are differently numbered 'recall' (safety reminders) they are both concerning the same thing.
Thank you. I only ever got the first letter!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 19:29   #363
Steve54hb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1monkey600 View Post
I think there is a before and after photo alongside each other for comparison somewhere, but this at least shows the T-piece that has been removed from cars that have had EGR problems within the last 18mths or so.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1828
Somewhere in the forum there are pics showing 20mm hoses, not the top hose, and on mine you can tell that a t-piece has been inserted leading to the EGR. So is this the new feed to the EGR where as previously it came from the top hose?
If so then I'm guessing mine has the latest pipe work.
The dealer reset the warning light in Dec and it hasn't reoccurred yet!

XC60 SE, my2014, VEA D4, 181bhp, Manual, 67k
Steve54hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 21:01   #364
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54hb View Post
Somewhere in the forum there are pics showing 20mm hoses, not the top hose, and on mine you can tell that a t-piece has been inserted leading to the EGR. So is this the new feed to the EGR where as previously it came from the top hose?
If so then I'm guessing mine has the latest pipe work.
My car also had this t-piece inserted in the smaller hoses as part of the EGR/cooler fixes. It's fairly easy to spot on mine as it's fixed with screw type jubilee clips rather than the usual metal hose clips used by the factory.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 21:11   #365
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
My car also had this t-piece inserted in the smaller hoses as part of the EGR/cooler fixes. It's fairly easy to spot on mine as it's fixed with screw type jubilee clips rather than the usual metal hose clips used by the factory.
OK. Now I'm confused. I had the Cooler fix 2016 and the T-piece was removed as part of the EGR cooler fix. Don't tell me it's been reintroduced!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 21:15   #366
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
OK. Now I'm confused. I had the Cooler fix 2016 and the T-piece was removed as part of the EGR cooler fix. Don't tell me it's been reintroduced!
I don't think it's the same T-piece? Pictures are needed...
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 23:42   #367
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
I must admit, I'm confused by it all. I never noticed whether there was a t-piece in the top hose originally from new, but mine now has a single piece top hose with a t-piece inserted into the smaller pipes towards the left side of the engine.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 11:55   #368
Chrisv60

It's not easy to show, but heres a picture of mine. I've had all the fixes but not the latest recall.

The single top hose runs north to south on the picture and to the top right of this hose you can just make out the screws for the jubilee clips holding the t-piece in the smaller diameter pipe coming from the top of the picture and then down the front of the engine.

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 17:00   #369
garethrees

Received a letter today dated 23rd Jan 2020 Ref R29948 "Potential Safety Concern" with worst case scenario "this may cause a localised engine bay fire to develop."

"Volvo have completed their investigations working with the appropriate authorities and conclude that your Volvo will require a software upgrade to the Engine Control Module"

They have requested that I book it into the service department ASAP.

Does anyone know what the "Software Upgrade" is? and if it would impact any ECU Mappings? I will be asking the service department but wanted to see if anyone had any experience of this software update? Given all the other fixes seem to be mechanical of some form.
garethrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 17:03   #370
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethrees View Post
Received a letter today dated 23rd Jan 2020 Ref R29948 "Potential Safety Concern" with worst case scenario "this may cause a localised engine bay fire to develop."

"Volvo have completed their investigations working with the appropriate authorities and conclude that your Volvo will require a software upgrade to the Engine Control Module"

They have requested that I book it into the service department ASAP.

Does anyone know what the "Software Upgrade" is? and if it would impact any ECU Mappings? I will be asking the service department but wanted to see if anyone had any experience of this software update? Given all the other fixes seem to be mechanical of some form.
It will change the ECU mapping , but they don't publish publicly exactly what it does , that goes for any software upgrade actually .

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4