Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Whine

Views : 16742

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2012, 15:35   #41
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrizos View Post
I took it back to the dealer on Saturday and the mechanic suggests it is a diff problem rather than wheel bearing. I was surprised to hear him say "oh this car we thought it might have a wheel bearing problem but couldn't tell which side." Great they sold me a car knowing there was a problem, I am not exactly over the moon about that. A super hero Volvo mechanic or some such is in tomorrow and will confirm the diagnosis. I will also be asking him if the engine should have a feint whistle when starting in the cold. It sounds like an old car radio I had with no surpresser on it that used to whistle a bit - hoping it is not an early indication of a turbo bearing problem. I trawled online sites for months then looked at dozens of cars before choosing this one and still messed up.
It's not unusual not to be able to tell which wheel bearing is playing up. (or if it is a wheel bearing)

I always expect to spend some money when I buy a second had car.

The second hand motor trade don't seem to fix problems unless the buyer complains and makes it a condition of sale, even though they seem very happy to fix any problems you point out. I've had all sorts of minor issues fixed at the point of sale. (Radio, Tyres, Power Steering hose.)
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:34   #42
Carrizos

This is the most expensive second hand car I have ever bought and I don't recall having to spend money in the first few months even on cars costing a few hundred. My first Delica cost £4000 and I only had to replace brakes and fluids over the first two years, then tyres and an alternator over the next 80k miles. What annoys me is they knew there was a fault on this XC90 before they sold it to me, having paid £12K I am very disappointed. I am about to go and pick it up - I have to drive it some more for the fault to get worse so they can identify what it is. I am not too pleased about that either esp given it is a three hour round trip every time I visit them. it will do about 1000 miles next week I hope I do not get a catastrophic failure. The intermittent parking sensor issue has also not been fixed as it did not fault while they have had it - this was aslo a known fault before I bought it although they did tell me about that one.
Carrizos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 21:17   #43
undercoverxc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
Well I took the plunge and replaced the front left wheel bearing. As I was not 100% sure that was where the noise was coming from I went for the cheaper bearing from Eurocarparts. With the 30% discount they are offering at the moment that brought the price down to £78.12 inc vat. The bearing appears to be an SFK one - stamped in a couple of places on the casting - so hopefully reasonable quality.

Tried changing it without removing the driveshaft, but ended up breaking my 15mm spanner as the bolts securing the old bearing where execptionally tight (and thread locked). Having then removed the driveshaft (had to do this by removing the suspension strut from the steering arm as the balljoint was stuck), it was then straightforward enough to remove.

Unfortunately the couple of hours it took was a waste of time, as the noise is still present!!!!
Hi timh30

Sorry to drag up ancient history , but wondered how you resolved your issue in the end? Was it transmission or bearing(s)?

Many thanks

undercoverxc90

Last edited by undercoverxc90; Nov 4th, 2012 at 21:49.
undercoverxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 22:34   #44
timh30

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverxc90 View Post
Hi timh30

Sorry to drag up ancient history , but wondered how you resolved your issue in the end? Was it transmission or bearing(s)?

Many thanks

undercoverxc90
No, still living with it - its not got any worse, so it's not really been a priority. I don't believe it's any of the wheel bearings, I think it's probably the angle/bevel gear. I keep meaning to prove this by removing the propshaft temporarily (which will take the load off the angle gear) - but again it's finding the time. If/when I get round to it I'll update the thread.
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 20:55   #45
undercoverxc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
No, still living with it - its not got any worse, so it's not really been a priority. I don't believe it's any of the wheel bearings, I think it's probably the angle/bevel gear. I keep meaning to prove this by removing the propshaft temporarily (which will take the load off the angle gear) - but again it's finding the time. If/when I get round to it I'll update the thread.
Ta mate. I have a problem with a droan at 30 to 50mph, and over 70mph. Turning left or right doesn't seem to take the noise away, which has been suggested is a sign of bearing problems. Took it to a indy garage today who reckon the bearings sound okay and the 'most likely' culprit is the tyres. The tread isn't too bad and I wasn't looking to change them for a while, plus I don't fancy paying 700 quid for 4 tyres and alignment to find the problem is still there. I got them to switch fronts and backs but I can't really tell much of a difference, maybe a little quieter, but so close I could be imagining it. They weren't trying to sell me the tyres btw! Very frustrated that I can't get a definitive answer.
undercoverxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2012, 21:38   #46
timh30

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverxc90 View Post
Ta mate. I have a problem with a droan at 30 to 50mph, and over 70mph. Turning left or right doesn't seem to take the noise away, which has been suggested is a sign of bearing problems. Took it to a indy garage today who reckon the bearings sound okay and the 'most likely' culprit is the tyres. The tread isn't too bad and I wasn't looking to change them for a while, plus I don't fancy paying 700 quid for 4 tyres and alignment to find the problem is still there. I got them to switch fronts and backs but I can't really tell much of a difference, maybe a little quieter, but so close I could be imagining it. They weren't trying to sell me the tyres btw! Very frustrated that I can't get a definitive answer.
We did recently suffer more of a droning sound from the rear of the car. This occurred from about 40mph upwards. Swapped tyres front to back and the drone moved to the front - so obviously tyres. New tyres put on and the drone went away. See you've tried that though - I agree it can get very frustrating tracking down these noises.
The Following User Says Thank You to timh30 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 21:23   #47
snakedog

I'm sure I have the same noise, could it be a propshaft bearing, I feel a slight vibrations when I hear the noise, really bad at 25mph
snakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 09:06   #48
timh30

I have to own up that I still haven't gotten round to removing the propshaft to test. I tend to think now it may be the differential in the gearbox (for the rear wheels), but it hasn't become any worse and isn't too bothersome - as its generally only when under load - i.e. going up inclines. As you say though, it could be any one of a number of bearings, so would be trial and error to isolate it.
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 21:19   #49
NCS XC90

Guys,
Had this on mine, drone at 30mph, 40mph and above 70mph. Thought it was the diff and lived with it for about 6 months. In the end it was the near side wheel bearing at the rear (I changed the off side bearing first and then had to get another). Once you got the bearing off you could feel the wear.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 22:45   #50
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS XC90 View Post
Guys,
Had this on mine, drone at 30mph, 40mph and above 70mph. Thought it was the diff and lived with it for about 6 months. In the end it was the near side wheel bearing at the rear (I changed the off side bearing first and then had to get another). Once you got the bearing off you could feel the wear.
Neil
Must have been in a bad way if you could feel it in your hand. I've stripped down bad bearings and the smallest of faults on one ball (hard to see with the naked eye) can cause horrible noise.