Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General > 400 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

480ES for sale, spares or repairs £250 Devon

Views : 2055

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2011, 13:16   #1
480ES

Default 480ES for sale, spares or repairs £250 Devon

So, i'm afraid i've just joined to try and pass on an old family car to a Volvo enthusiast, as title, its a 1987 Volvo 480ES for Spares or Repairs

Right, so to summarise: as title, it was my grans car, bought in 2000 I think, its had only two owners from new, unfortunately due to a number of reasons she gave up driving in around 2002, therefore the car was taken off the road, it was started and driven every now and then to keep it all free and working.

However in about the 2006, 2007 time it ran out of fuel and was left. Adding to this the family friend that lived with her liked to take cars apart for no reason and not put them back together, this was one of a long list he had done this too, (you will see some if you come and view).

Fortunately this one was not majorly stripped, basically the interior minus the dash and carpets was stripped, we have over the last couple of weeks refitted the interior to check that everythings there, which it is, there are a few bits that aren’t bolted/screwed down properly etc, there are bags of screws etc in the boot. The under tray is in the boot, and there are also a couple of engine covers there too.

We also set about to get it running and movable, the rear r/h calliper we think has seized, therefore the calliper has been unbolted and is now tied back to the arb, therefore the brakes at the moment obviously cannot be used. After sorting out some corroded connections and dropping in a fresh battery with fresh fuel we have got it turning over and it will fire and run. However it only currently runs on one cylinder! So obviously it sounds not nice and wouldn’t be able to shift itself. There are sparks at all cylinders, and the plugs on the non firing cylinders seem dry, therefore perhaps the multi point injection has become clogged? The fuel pump etc obviously work.

Good points:
-1.7 8v multi point injection engine with a five speed box, quite fast my dad says!
-genuine 79, 044 miles from new
-full main dealer service history up to about 2000, from the original supplying dealer
-full of bells and whistles, it has:
Heated seats, electric windows, electric/heated mirrors, fog lights, driving lights, pop up headlights! The ‘info centre’ which tells you everything about temperatures etc. Alloys, disc brakes all round, velour/velvet seats, sunroof.
-original tape player I think
-both original keys are included
-still has it's original boot lugguge cloth cover, (although it has one small hole)
-Very little wear on the interior, one small hole in the drivers bolster
-it comes with its original owners books etc, and also with a Haynes manual
-Some old tax discs to this can be supplied if wanted.
-you can also have the ‘Britney Spears, hit me baby one more time’ tape that I found in the centre console if you want! I don’t think my sister will want it back...

Bad Points:
-hasn’t been on the road in nine years, and lived outside, therefore the rust has set in, this is the reason we are selling it as spares or repairs:
The driver’s side sill has gone at the bottom, the rear arches need replacing, there is a hole under the fuel filler cap, some rust toward the front of that wing under the window. Some rust in the front panel at the front of the engine bay, mainly where the battery sits (not the tray). Then there are two patches in the roof, both passenger side one at the front the other at the back. They currently have duct tape over them to stop water entering, but where water has previously gone down the rear hole it has made the rear panel under the rear lights that side rusty inside.
-some of the interior is still not fitted properly, however it’s all there
-engine only runs on one cylinder
-the info centre does not work, it doesn’t light up or anything, possibly more corroded connections?
-pop up headlights don't seem to 'pop up'
-driving lights are on all the time, even with the key out, basically on when the batterys connected.
-One of the side light covers fell off and broke, hense the tape.
-no battery is included
-the cloth on the passenger door has started too come off, only needs a small bit of glue
-the key does not work the lock on the passenger door, there is the corner of a small spring poking out, it does however lock from the inside with the little cover off.
-the boot latch and fuel filler cover latch were disconnected and neither latch at the moment
-it will obviously need to be trailored away.

And pics:

^as can be seen, the three spots on this wing

^with the plastic trim removed

So I think thats everything, i’ve certainly written alot! I’ve been completely honest.

Its located in Buckfast, literally just off the A38 in between Plymouth and Exeter in Devon. Anyone that has driven to Buckfast or Buckfastleigh will probably have noticed it.
Anyone interested can obviously come and have a look, just let me know.

I'm going to look into its paperwork today, the person it is registered to has passed away and i'm not sure what we do?

We’re looking for £250, or a near offer, we need this gone to clear some space on the drive.
Pm me etc if interested, and i’ll pass on my number.

I've just sent away the advertisment for pratical classics and its also on retro rides, in my opinion its an ideal winter project for someone who knows these cars. Hense why i put it on here!

Thanks for reading,
Mat.
480ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 12:25   #2
captainslow

Unhappy

Thank You for such a detailed advert, I do hope it helps you sell it.

It could be interesting for someone to restore as it is an early 480 meaning it has the additional guages and digital clock. Also has front fog lights. I fear, however, that the rust will put many off and it'll find more money as spare parts....

You might try posting the advert on the 480 club europe website too.
captainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captainslow For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 22:46   #3
480ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslow View Post
Thank You for such a detailed advert, I do hope it helps you sell it.

It could be interesting for someone to restore as it is an early 480 meaning it has the additional guages and digital clock. Also has front fog lights. I fear, however, that the rust will put many off and it'll find more money as spare parts....

You might try posting the advert on the 480 club europe website too.
Thanks for that, and i'll look into the '480 club europe' straight away.

I didn't realise it was a early one, would that be why it has black bumpers when the majority i've seen have colour coded ones?
I do have one confession though, going through the paperwork the registration date is 21/03/1988 so its not an 87. I will change the add. I was just going from what my dad had said!

Edit: for some reason the edit button does not come up on that post?

We really are hoping somone will buy it who wants to restore it, however if it gets broken thats one of those things unfortunately, we would keep it to rebuild one day but we are having to clear our storage space.

Last edited by 480ES; Sep 28th, 2011 at 23:06.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:11   #4
480ES

Bump!

This car is still here and available, we have had people mess us around, all to do with logistics. We really need this to go this summer so if anyones genuinely interested send me an email and i can get more details, pictures or whatever, viewing is more than welcome.

My email is: MathewRichardson@hotmail.co.uk
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 16:00   #5
seanin

Cool message

hello i dont suppose you have a spare clutch cable for my 480 esd,i realise this question has nothing to do with selling your car but i thought i would ask.thank you sean
seanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 21:55   #6
480ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanin View Post
hello i dont suppose you have a spare clutch cable for my 480 esd,i realise this question has nothing to do with selling your car but i thought i would ask.thank you sean
nope, sorry we don't have a spare clutch cable, infact i don't think we have any 480 spares. Surely most spares suppliers could get one?

We do however have a second hand clutch cable, £250 and you get a free 480 too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 480ES For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 15:35   #7
seanin

Red face message

hello would you be interested in selling the clutch cable and passengers side window regulator if its electric thank you for reading this sean
seanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 21:27   #8
480ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanin View Post
hello would you be interested in selling the clutch cable and passengers side window regulator if its electric thank you for reading this sean
Sorry but we're not breaking it i'm afraid.

To everyone else, shes still here waiting for a new owner, let me know! Really want this to find a new home this summer.