Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tesco diesel in d5

Views : 14961

Replies : 96

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2014, 15:37   #51
GS79

I've only put bp or shell in mine to date -a new-ish 230 HP D5 v60 polestar..

This is based on experience with my old Saab which run a lot smoother and slightly more economically with far more power on the ultimate stuff, than Morrison's cheaper fuel.

Perhaps it makes more difference on older engines -that one had done 130k, but I don't really want to chance it, TBH, and I'm loving the torque of this D5!

GS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 16:43   #52
ELIMINATOR1

I applied for a job at Honeywell Enraf, they manufacture the kit that puts the additives into the tankers, the fuel up to this point is identical.
ELIMINATOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ELIMINATOR1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 20:58   #53
Laserernie

Hello I'm new on here so hello again

Just done full service on my new to me xc 70 D5 manual car. Cambelt kit, oil & all filters. Filled up at Tesco's half a tank & gone though it in no time, ave was 32 mpg where usually i have been getting around 40 mpg around town, on a run upto 48mpg. first couple of wks i was putting Shell V-power with no probs. The wife shops at Tescos so we got 12p a litre off so for last 3 wks been filling up there, but car is using it a lot faster. Something going on
Laserernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 21:14   #54
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserernie View Post
Hello I'm new on here so hello again

Just done full service on my new to me xc 70 D5 manual car. Cambelt kit, oil & all filters. Filled up at Tesco's half a tank & gone though it in no time, ave was 32 mpg where usually i have been getting around 40 mpg around town, on a run upto 48mpg. first couple of wks i was putting Shell V-power with no probs. The wife shops at Tescos so we got 12p a litre off so for last 3 wks been filling up there, but car is using it a lot faster. Something going on
You have found out the problem with what everyone appears to be confirming you get what you pay for.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 22:16   #55
brickman
Premier Member

If its the first tank since the service/belt change, chance its one tooth out?
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 14:46   #56
hobgoblin
I've Been Banned

used tesco fuel for years on and off never had any issues tbh..
hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 17:03   #57
jor
VOC 20573

Could eliminator or anyone who knows a bit more tell us why, if fuel is identical when produced, there is such a difference in mpg when bought at different outlets and if it is down to additives, which ones are responsible?

jor
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 21:20   #58
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Most fuels use the same base fuel its the additives that get injected into them while being loaded into a tanker for delivery that makes the difference especially the ultimate grades
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 23:24   #59
Simon Jones
Premier Member

It's £1.13 / litre at my local Tescos so I'm going to fill up tomorrow. I've tried all sorts if stuff from Asda to BP Ultimate and Shell V power, and to be honest i cannot detect any difference in performance or economy. If money were no object I would probably use the premium brands but I can't justify the extra cost.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 10:47   #60
brickman
Premier Member

For some cars it literally doesn't matter what you pump into it, others are a bit more highly strung. And sometimes you just get plain bad fuel, was talking/listening to someone the other day mention he filled his (pretty damn nice) motorbike up twice after having a brand new tank/fuel hoses fitted.

2 tanks of misc. petrol later (tank holds about 3 gal?) he drained it and took a picture of the junk in the bottom. NASTY gritty chunky stuff after just ~6 gal of petrol.