Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 clutch pedal

Views : 3673

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2017, 21:02   #1
LeeAM

Default V40 clutch pedal

Hi,
I own a 2016 v40 r design t2 and my clutch pedal makes a clicking noise all the time, is this normal, as is really annoying. Anyone else have this, you can feel the click under your foot and makes a very quick click like a toque wrench.

Last edited by LeeAM; May 23rd, 2017 at 21:32. Reason: more info
LeeAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 21:47   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAM View Post
Hi,
I own a 2016 v40 r design t2 and my clutch pedal makes a clicking noise all the time, is this normal, as is really annoying. Anyone else have this, you can feel the click under your foot and makes a very quick click like a toque wrench.
No not normal , It might be the pedal helper spring , If it is a creak it is likely to be the whole pedal unit needed , Your dealer might be helpful here if it needs the Pedal assembly .. ...
Old May 23rd, 2017, 22:03   #3
LeeAM

Thanks for your assistance, will have to ring the dealership in Warrington to sort it out, i thought this wasn't normal.
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:26   #4
TonyM
VOC Member

I had the creak which then developed into a loud double click which you could feel through the pedal.

The Volvo dealers replaced the clutch pedal and the master cylinder and it solved the problem.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 12:23   #5
LeeAM

Just like to say thanks to everyone. Just had my clutch pedal replaced under warranty, and was told that this was a issue known to Volvo and is a cracked spot weld on the clutch assembly. All good and took an hour and half to fix.
Old Jun 2nd, 2017, 19:38   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Just like to say thanks to everyone. Just had my clutch pedal replaced under warranty, and was told that this was a issue known to Volvo and is a cracked spot weld on the clutch assembly. All good and took an hour and half to fix.
The clutch pedal and bracket is pure ford and the same as the one in the V50 etc range .. There is a tag which goes through a slot and is twisted to secure two plates rather than be welded , ( cheaper no doubt ) This has been creaking for the last 13 years as the pedal bracket flexes a lot when the pedal is pressed . Not every one by any means , just a few here and there . I guess as the part comes from Ford, volvo were not allowed to fix it .. They now have a dab of weld on the tag. They also have made in sweden on them which is interesting .
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 09:14   #7
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
You really have to wonder about the quality control , when something like this goes into general production.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 17:37   #8
MikeFloutier

Hi, I’m new to the forum so not 100% sure if this is the right section; please bear with me. I thought it might be useful to use this thread as it was the only one that showed up in a “clutch clicking” search so maybe good to keep experiences together.

I have a 2018 V40 D2 with just over 60k on the clock and recently noticed the clicking sound mentioned by the OP.

I’ve attached a couple of photos; one showing the context and the other a close up of what may be the issue.

Not sure how well you can see it but the big spring in the closeup is fractured in at least two places and distorts under compression.

I imagine that the movement of the of the spring, under pressure, may be causing this clicking (a kind of mini earthquake).

I wondered what folk thought and whether anyone knows what this device/spring is called to help with perusing this.

Many thanks!

Kind regards, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9627.jpeg (89.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9626.jpeg (83.2 KB, 10 views)
MikeFloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 21:22   #9
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Clutch pedal return spring I would imagine. A Volvo dealer will be able to help you with the parts you need. I would go down the new route as Volvo were aware of an issue so may have made changes

Or if the car has full dealer history could always chance your hand at goodwill from Volvo and they might sort it for you.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 22:02   #10
MikeFloutier

Many thanks Graham!

Kind regards, Mike
MikeFloutier is offline   Reply With Quote