Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need help diagnosing faulty ICM

Views : 413

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 04:32   #1
Xproximity

Default Need help diagnosing faulty ICM

Hi All

I have an early 2015 V40 T5 Cross Country imported from Japan.

Long story shory, the inside of my car was sprayed with water "a lot" by a jetboat showing off. I managed to dry the car out with all the towels we had on hand and started her up and left her dehumidifying for over an hour. I parked the car at home in our garage with all the windows open and a dehimudifier running for about a week. not much moistre was pulled out though. The car was dry wherever I checked, under carpets etc. Everything seemed okay and my wife continued using the car for over a month. Last week on her way to work she advised the screen was dead when she got into the car. By the time she returned home, all was well again. This weekend I decided to run into town and low and behold, dead infotainment system with BLS & CTA fault on the dashboard.

I have pulled out the ICM and there are water marks on the top of the unit. I have followed a few simple diagnostics, checked MOST link etc. When I power on the ignition, the ICM spins up and the optical link flashes and is passed on to the screen but still no display. I can hear a faint crackling on the speakers and about 15 seconds later the MOST link goes dark. I ahve opened up the ICM and there's no sign of water actually making it into the unit itself.

I wish I could send the ICM in for a a repair but i'm in New Zealand. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Part Number for the ICM is 31396102AA
Xproximity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 08:44   #2
RS3100

I'm far from an expert, but there have been several posts on the VolvoV40club.com forums about replacing the ICM. Best to search for them and read them yourself, but from memory you should be able to replace it with another unit as long as certain codes on the label are identical.

However, for the car to accept a different unit, you have to disable the onboard security on the network. A software tool called P3tool can now do that for V40s, but you need to be able to run it from a laptop or similar that you can connect to the car's OBD port, and you first have to crack the car's security PIN using the tool, which can take some time.

The author of P3tool has a thread running on Swedespeed.com with contact details.

The alternative would probably have to be a Volvo dealer, but very expensive I think.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 06:00   #3
Xproximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
I'm far from an expert, but there have been several posts on the VolvoV40club.com forums about replacing the ICM. Best to search for them and read them yourself, but from memory you should be able to replace it with another unit as long as certain codes on the label are identical.

However, for the car to accept a different unit, you have to disable the onboard security on the network. A software tool called P3tool can now do that for V40s, but you need to be able to run it from a laptop or similar that you can connect to the car's OBD port, and you first have to crack the car's security PIN using the tool, which can take some time.

The author of P3tool has a thread running on Swedespeed.com with contact details.

The alternative would probably have to be a Volvo dealer, but very expensive I think.
Thanks for the lead, I'll be heading there shortyl to have a look.

I have called Volvo NZ and they have quoted $4000 for the IAM and ICM without installation.

I feel like I may be screwed if I don't find another solution....
Xproximity is offline   Reply With Quote