Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG: When will people learn! (???)

Views : 11816

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 14:30   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default LPG: When will people learn! (???)

Commenting on the woes of another in this forum I read....

Quote:
I have been in a lot of lpg vehicles and to be honest I would say that’s normal.EML illuminates all the time, smell of gas, poor running. And all so you can save 10 quid a week whilst paying out hundreds in repairs.

When will people learn!

Done right and properly understood, it works. Fuel and depreciation are the two biggest ways to spend money owning a car, yet few actually keep an eye on both at the same time. Many a fool buys a car because it gets good mileage.

Done right gassing a car works. For the savings involved, it's worth grasping, how to apply it, and why.

I for one have saved best part of the price of a very decent car. In the time it takes to understand, few of us earn enough to be better off doing something else.

So I also ask, when will people learn?

And how long will it take you to save £15,000? At current taxation levels I'd have to earn nearer £25,000 to get it. To me that's a lotta' time I could use to be doing something else. You?

In short, by running a vehicle. most of us are in denial as to where our money really goes.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 2nd, 2019 at 14:56.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 15:38   #2
cyclogenesis

Default 855 T5 with 235,000 miles on the clock

I agree. 100,000+ miles of relatively trouble free running on LPG. Done properly, it works very well. Mine was also properly tuned by the fitter along a certain A road in the south. Whilst I had the laptop on my lap adjusting the levels, I looked up to see we were doing 115MPH along the dual carriageway as we made sure it was properly mapped. I think he was a touring car racer in his spare time as he was so smooth I didn't even notice the speed we were doing.

13p per mile on average with only a little loss as peak revs, when I just switch to Unleaded.

Very happy and properly the only reason I still own and run the car as it drinks unleaded like a Pompey supporter on Stella.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 16:06   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Commenting on the woes of another in this forum I read....

This deserves its own thread. I had to smile. I am a high miler user and to date my endeavours in gassing vehicles has saved me easily £15,000.

Done right and properly understood, it works. Fuel and depreciation are the two biggest ways to spend money owning a car, yet few actually keep an eye on both at the same time. Many a fool buys a car because it gets good mileage.

Done right gassing a car works. For the savings involved, it's worth grasping, how to apply it, and why.

I for one have saved best part of the price of a very decent car. In the time it takes to understand, few of us earn enough to be better off doing something else.

So I also ask, when will people learn?

And how long will it take you to save £15,000? At current taxation levels I'd have to earn nearer £25,000 to get it. To me that's a lotta' time I could use to be doing something else. You?

In short, by running a vehicle. most of us are in denial as to where our money really goes.
OK, I will admit to being the poster of that comment....

Unfortunatly I can only say it as I find it and I maintain that close friends and others vehicles that I have been in have been very unreliable and that based on this I would not buy or consider a conversion.

Due to the nature of my work I purchase my vehicle privately and then charge 45P for the first 10,000 miles and 20P there after (I do 15-25K a year).

If I thought I could buy an LPG equipped car and run it whilst claiming 45P a mile I would do so this afternoon.

Based on experience however I don't feel I can.

To me LPG is a somewhat niche offering which is really applicable to those with the knowledge and ability to run them, a personal interest and ability to work from home or get paid if they break down.

For the average person who runs a 2012 model car onwards (as I do) and who is not interested in tinkering they are not really a reliable product based on what I have seen.

The EML on is now an MOT failure despite assurances from an LPG owner on here that its not.

My post above was regarding someone looking into converting a 2018 model T6 and I voiced my opinion that this is likely more complex and involved than they may think.

Its not for me, if you have been successful and have not had EML on etc then that's great, I am happy for you.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 16:30   #4
XCR
Master Member

I've owned a few gas converted vehicles including a monstrous Discovery with a chip tuned 4.6 V8 ! Never had a moments bother.
My current day van, a 2000 MY Vito is on LPG and is truly superb with no issues over the last year. Its very smooth and quiet with no perceptive loss of power and, if I work it out right, I can fill up at a certain supermarket for 55p a litre !
I've saved a fortune.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 20:34   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
OK, I will admit to being the poster of that comment....

Unfortunatly I can only say it as I find it and I maintain that close friends and others vehicles that I have been in have been very unreliable and that based on this I would not buy or consider a conversion.

Due to the nature of my work I purchase my vehicle privately and then charge 45P for the first 10,000 miles and 20P there after (I do 15-25K a year).

If I thought I could buy an LPG equipped car and run it whilst claiming 45P a mile I would do so this afternoon.

Based on experience however I don't feel I can.

To me LPG is a somewhat niche offering which is really applicable to those with the knowledge and ability to run them, a personal interest and ability to work from home or get paid if they break down.

For the average person who runs a 2012 model car onwards (as I do) and who is not interested in tinkering they are not really a reliable product based on what I have seen.

The EML on is now an MOT failure despite assurances from an LPG owner on here that its not.

My post above was regarding someone looking into converting a 2018 model T6 and I voiced my opinion that this is likely more complex and involved than they may think.

Its not for me, if you have been successful and have not had EML on etc then that's great, I am happy for you.

Your story does not make sense and is confusing.

Are you saying you purchased a car with LPG already fitted and the EML is on and that is now a MOT failure?

If that is the case you are going all the wrong way about things. Myself and others could give you the right advice to sort the issue given some information. You have already been told numerous times that havingthe EML light on is not normal. Constantly banging on "LPG is sh1t" is not helping you or anyone else.

If your LPG issue is a current one try doing the same as anyone else and start your own thread with car and system details and we can start to help you
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 20:49   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Your story does not make sense and is confusing.

Are you saying you purchased a car with LPG already fitted and the EML is on and that is now a MOT failure?

If that is the case you are going all the wrong way about things. Myself and others could give you the right advice to sort the issue given some information. You have already been told numerous times that havingthe EML light on is not normal. Constantly banging on "LPG is sh1t" is not helping you or anyone else.

If your LPG issue is a current one try doing the same as anyone else and start your own thread with car and system details and we can start to help you
I am not banging on about anything, my post was used as a start to this thread.

I do not have LPG nor do I intend to as several friends and family have had it and it was unreliable and didn’t work well and consistently.

That was the comment that I made.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 22:06   #7
mentepazza

Our friend is right. It can be painful owning an LPG car.
Main problem is most of the LPG professional have no idea
What thy are doing.
Get a proper mechanic with experience on LPG and you’ll experience the pleasure of driving a converted LPG engine.
My 240 has got LPG since 1993. Never had any issue in 25 Years.
My 320bmw run sweet for 160k miles before selling it.
My swift 1.3 run swiftly for 100k miles before selling it.
Just need to look after the electric parts, replacing earlier than usual spark plugs, rotor, cables.
Also had a golf converted to CNG without any issue.
I think I have saved thousands over the Years.
Can’t hide conversion can be temperamental. Engine run differently depending on the weather, if it s wet or dry, if you are on a mountain or at the sea.
Never run smooth as when you feed the engine with petrol. Loss of power is noticeble. Some cars will need to adjust the valve every 20/30k miles. Others will not last over 100k miles.
It’s always a compromise running an LPG scar and probably something will go
wrong.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 22:48   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
Our friend is right. It can be painful owning an LPG car.
Main problem is most of the LPG professional have no idea
What thy are doing.
Get a proper mechanic with experience on LPG and you’ll experience the pleasure of driving a converted LPG engine.
My 240 has got LPG since 1993. Never had any issue in 25 Years.
My 320bmw run sweet for 160k miles before selling it.
My swift 1.3 run swiftly for 100k miles before selling it.
Just need to look after the electric parts, replacing earlier than usual spark plugs, rotor, cables.
Also had a golf converted to CNG without any issue.
I think I have saved thousands over the Years.
Can’t hide conversion can be temperamental. Engine run differently depending on the weather, if it s wet or dry, if you are on a mountain or at the sea.
Never run smooth as when you feed the engine with petrol. Loss of power is noticeble. Some cars will need to adjust the valve every 20/30k miles. Others will not last over 100k miles.
It’s always a compromise running an LPG scar and probably something will go
wrong.
That’s my point thanks. If I were in a position to tinker and play with an installation I would and I admire people that do.

The answer I gave (used to open this thread) was regarding someone buying a 2018 xc90 t6 and LPG it.

The mind boggles at the complexity and difficulty this would require.

Well done on your installations, sounds good.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:40   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Just some quotes to show its not a one off post on the hate towards LPG conversions

Quote:
You won’t aave a great deal, it will run hot and stress the engine and will be temperamental all the time. Just give it a miss.
Quote:
I can only convey my experience from half a dozen vehicles which never over their life ever ran properly and were unreliable.

Its not something that I would get involved with.

Each to their own, mine is first hand experience and its not worth the hassle. If you could pay £1500 to £2000 loads of people would have taken it up (I would have 2 off petrol cars running LPG).

As it is I have never been in an LPG car without the EML illuminated or starting issues or problems switching from petrol to LPG.

Quote:

In my experience you will do so much better leaving the lpg out of the equation. They never work properly.
Quote:
See my above posts and basically don’t bother.
Quote:
I have been in Range Rovers (several), omega, Passat and several other cars with LPG, the main issue is that I believe (not joking) that they would ALL have the EML on frequently which is now an MOT failure.

The rAnge rovers in particular had pretty much no boot left and you could not fold the seats due to the massive tanks in the boot with gauge and pipe work all in the cabin with the passengers which I really thought looked rubbish and I wouldn’t want.

Leaks and install problems/misfire.

The donut tanks seemed to fit the wheel well ok but offered app Awfull Range.

I have no axe to grind or motive here, all I can do it pass on my experience if leaks, poor running, constant management light. The OP is looking at fitting this to a modern vehicle and frankly I think that unless EVERY part of the installation is perfect there will be problems.

On a seperate not lpg offers poor lubrication and high running temperatures. I wonder how your valve seats look compared to a petrol and how much you would have saved if you paid for the install?
Quote:
I have been in a lot of lpg vehicles and to be honest I would say that’s normal.EML illuminates all the time, smell of gas, poor running. And all so you can save 10 quid a week whilst paying out hundreds in repairs.

When will people learn!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 23:47   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Just some quotes to show its not a one off post on the hate towards LPG conversions
That’s 6 posts out of the 350 that I have made. That’s around 2% of my posts. It’s not exactly a conspiracy is it.