Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tdi POWER!!!!!!

Views : 23224

Replies : 182

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 19:46   #21
scvolvo
Premier Member

Sounds like its def worth a try.
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 19:57   #22
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

I'm gonna wait until I break it first though, its not worth messing until I need to. I can live with the shudder, you just need to adjust your driving style, ie drive it like a petrol and rev the knackers out of it.
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 19:03   #23
brickman
Premier Member

Found the map, so obvious now! In fact I think I took it off when doing fuel filter. Bit weird to have about 60cm of hose between the inlet and the map though.

Also think its defective as I unplugged the loom which obv threw a code, then refitted and cleaned the code, then ran fine, then just unplugged the pressure hose and took car for a drive which did not thriuw a code. Plugged in and fully warm vs. Unplugged and fully warm made no difference to the way it drove or boosted but unplugged did send my instant mpg readout about 20mpg greater than it would be normally.

Also tried measuring resistance across the pins with a bike pump/ plenum connected to it, no amount of pressure (uptp 40psi tested) made any odds to the resistance (-0.4ohm) , if that's the right way to test it?
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2014, 20:00   #24
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Do you think your car has boost issues? Or what is it you are trying to achieve by plugging and unplugging the sensor? By unplugging the pipe you are affectively creating a boost leak, this will cause on over boost situation as the BCV is not being told to control boost. You would not feel anything different as there was no extra fuel. But you would have been running very high boost! If you suspect boost is low fit a guage to test it, don't go by the readings on vol-fcr as the boost never reads correctly on it.

You could put a new sensor on but it wont make a difference, only to your wallet!
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 12:04   #25
brickman
Premier Member

Yup I think you are almost completely correct!

So, with sensor not receiving any pressure (hose off), I would say the boost was higher, take a while to spool, but you can hear it spooling like a good 'un even at low % of throttle.

Found a sensor in a scrap yard that when plugged & plumbed in makes the car feel amazing below 2000rpm, above that its just the same. But much more punchy and eager to spool, also even less smoke, I would even go as far as to say no smoke at all (unless you leave it idling from cold then boot it obviously), MPG indicating higher than normal around town but identical at highway speeds.

Using Vol-FCR you remember I was talking about the desired boost vs. actual boost being absolutely miles out, with the new sensor those figures are much much closer, i.e. 130kPa desired, 122kPa actual (before it was more like 130 vs 105) which to me indicates that there was def something wrong with the original sensor.

Also found an amazing breakers yard with a whole bunch of untouched 850/70 series cars and very good prices, the yard was also immaculate, no dog ****e, glass, random swamps to negotiate lol.

Next task is to fit a boost gauge and EGT sensor/gauge so I can keep track of things. Will make a separate thread for that as it might be handy for others
The Following User Says Thank You to brickman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 17:49   #26
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Ah thats good news then. I suspect maybe your unit has been replaced in the past with a 2 BAR by mistake, you have probably just picked up a 2.5 BAR which will make it feel a little better at low revs.

If you do fit an EGT gauge make sure to fit the probe pre turbo as to get a proper measurement of temperature. The boost gauge is easily fitted in the line to the BCV, I found this gives accurate readings.

Get yourself the box I linked in the first post, it will make you grin from ear to ear! Best £144 you will ever spend.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 18:07   #27
brickman
Premier Member

I've removed & blanked the EGR, so I guess the best place would be to drill & tap a whole in the centre of the steel blanking plate (4-5mm thick mild steel plate) and then insert a brass reducer/mount with the probe sitting inside the the brass insert.

Did fancy an old aircraft EGT gauge as some of them are round and about 40mm in diameter, allow to be backlit and flush mounted. (they are usually of very high quality and show 0>800/1000 celcius which should be ample).

Really liked the idea of a boost + EGT gauge (EGT is a digital readout) mounted to the inside of the wingmirror vanity plate, IPD did make some a few years ago but they were about $100 and they didn't make many, I could make one in a few hours with some plastic pipe and some body filler that would look the part. I really don't like a cluttered dash, or the usual A pillar mount but can only find single or triple mounts, no doubles.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 08:13   #28
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Dyno'd yesterday at 191.4bhp, and that really is as much as the standard hardware can take. Now it gets expensive!
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 16:55   #29
brickman
Premier Member

Clutch and flywheel are the £££ barriers to 200hp/300lbft I would guess. Gearbox and driveshafts are solid.

Valve springs might be interesting! Ive got a local company that makes all kind of springs, been trying to get them to make me some for another project I have
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 18:46   #30
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

No they'll be fine, its the turbo and injectors that aren't man enough!