Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Tramlining - poll

Views : 65568

Replies : 101

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which tyres are best on a V70?
Pirelli P6000 48 25.40%
Toyo Proxis 10 5.29%
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 46 24.34%
Continental 11 5.82%
Michelin Pilot Sport 30 15.87%
BF Goodrich Profiler 4 2.12%
Other 40 21.16%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 8th, 2006, 18:09   #11
Phil Russell

Interesting thread. I have fitted the F1s to the front wheel of my 2004 V70. They seem to have made a difference but not eliminated the problem ... I am wondering if they should go on the rear as well.
Having fitted the Goodyear tyres I got tyre rub on full lock ... none with the Pirellis.
I am having stops / limiters put on the steering arms (rack?) by Marshal Volvo in Cambridge as a warranty job (should have been done yesterday but after delivering car to them and returning 2hrs later, as agreed, I was told they had been sent the wrong parts. It is boked in again for next week). I discussed tyre rub with the mechanic. He did not mention bigger 'buffer stops' (a logical and simple solution that I suspect even I could do!) and when I asked why they do not simply shim out the existing stops he said it would upset the control arms. He also said that the tyre rub does not affect all cars ... this makes me wonder what tolerances they work to in assembly! And also that the rub will go as the tyre edge wears down.
I measured the width of the F1s as about 1cm wider than the P6000s.
Cheers, Phil
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 12:42   #12
Tinpusher

It boggles my mind that Volvo allow a reasonably expensive car to be let down by such a relatively inexpensive (and easily changeable) thing as the tyres!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 15:05   #13
Phil Russell

To continue my sage ...
The dealer (Marshalls of Cambridge) collected my V70 this morning to fit the rack limiters. It has just come back. They did not fit them because some were already fitted. I did not know this as I bought car s/h from them when it was a little under a year old.
Such is life.
But last night we used full lh lock, forward and reverse with no rub at all. I wonder if it depends on the loading in the car?? Or the outside temperature??
Interesting that I have been told it is possible to simply fit bigger buffers ... Marshall did not mention that option at all. Maybe just as well as the turning circle would have got even worse....

As I said, such is life and I guess I have to put up with it if it happens.
Cheers, Phil
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 14:55   #14
Tinpusher

Well, I had the Goodyears fitted to the front only on Friday. Handling has improved dramatically, although I wouldn't say the tramlining has completely gone. 90% gone, maybe. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if fitting the Goodyears on the rear too completely (as far as the UK roads will allow!) clears it. Interestingly, I aksed my mechanic to check for any rub on installation. He said (and I concur) that there is none. He even measured the Goodyars & found them to be exactly the same size as the Pirellis.

So far, so good!

Tinpusher.

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 16:28   #15
Phil Russell

As a solution to my tyre rub problem, the dealer recommended fitting more Pirellis.
Interesting that you measured F1s and found them the same width as Pirellis. I did that and found them to be wider ... I used a vernier scale positioned over the tread ... measuring front tyres (F1) and comparing to rear (P6000).
Interesting what you find out ...
Cheers, Phil
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:28   #16
volvo2
Master Member

I have the so called "awful 15" alloy wheels" which to my mind are fine and likely to give a better quality of ride. Unfortunately I also have vagueness and wandering in the steering. This is particularly noticeable on uneven roads, windy days or when overtaken on the motorway, where the car is more disturbed than normal and tends to need greater correction. I can not believe this is primarily dependant upon which brand of tyre I fit. It is certainly not the case for my 850. Also, I think tramlining is not the correct term. I have experienced tramlining in another car which feels quite different, i.e. it feels more like the car is following the topography of the road.

M Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyyid
Having just chnaged from the standard and blinkin aweful 15" alloy wheels to some decent 7 spoke Volvo 17" wheels with P-Zero's on, excellent tyre on the car and helps the understeer a lot. Now I find the back swinging round a lot harder than prior to fitting these....

Andy
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 00:50   #17
gaz7560
RC heli nutter

I have a V70 2.5SE 10v (my1997) with 195/60v15 tyres. Have just swapped to Michelin Pilot Primacy's these seem to work well. A much smoother ride
Ta Gary
gaz7560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 23:30   #18
jsnewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinpusher
Looking at the poll, I think I'm gonna try the Goodyear Eagles. They seem to be the tyre of choice, though I'd be interested to know what types the "others" are. Keep voting folks!
I contacted 3 separate Volvo dealers about best replacements for the Pirelli P6000 225/45 R17. Interestingly enough, they all said that ‘tramlining’ is a feature of road surface and tyre dimension (i.e. R17’s) and very little to do with brand and model. They all said the Pirelli P6000 and Goodyear GSD3 F1’s were both suitable for the V70 but 1 dealer warned against tyre rubbing with the Goodyear’s on full lock. Went for the Pirellis in the end even though I only got 15k miles out of the front pair – but again, I was advised that this is average for the V70 D5, which is of course a heavy, FWD vehicle
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:36   #19
burchi

These cars seem to have a terrible achilles heel on the tramlining side of things... I am now on my 2nd V70 and I can honestly say that the Pirellis that seem to be fitted by Volvo as the tyre of choice are dire!

They were on my 1998 V70 and I couldn't get them off quickly enough in favour of Pilot Sports which almost eliminated the problem but, latterly switched to Dunlop SP Sport 9000 which were cheaper and quieter than the Michelins and offered as much if not more grip plus the tramline problem went entirely.

On my 2003 V70, Pirellis again (YUK!) and yes, horrible tramlining again! I shall be giving them some proper stick to try and wear them down quickly so I can get a decent set of tyres on it. Dunlops again will be what I fit!

Just my thoughts!

Regards

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 13:32   #20
djgeoff
Middle Aged Member

Smile tramlining

as i said i would in previous thread i am posting this reply,
after changing tyres to toyo t1 s problem still occured in the end it was wishbones bushes which were the main reason for tramlining but while i was under the car changing bushes to prolfex i changed track rod ends and drop links to anti roll bar as well.
problem sorted.
djgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote