Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering Rack Failure

Views : 5964

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 13:03   #1
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Default Steering Rack Failure

Well, you can imagine I was right peeved off when I found my 3 year old replacement steering rack leaking. After a bit of looking about the web I found, on this very site no less, some interesting info. It seems my premature failure of the seals on the rack, causing it to leak, may be due to old debris swimming about the steering fluid. I did renew the fluid the last time I replaced the rack but you can't flush the whole system out. So what I intend to do is suspend a strong magnet in the pump reservoir to catch any magnetic debris floating around. How I attach it is another question. I am thinking I should bore a small hole through the dipstick of the cap and feed a piece of metal wire through it. I would crimp or solder the wire in a loop suspending the magnet(in the shape of a washer) in the fluid. I appreciate having either of these items dropping off would cause problems. Instant death to the pump, or not?

The second idea was to bore a small hole in the reservoir cap and feed a longish bolt down into the fluid and have the magnet on the end. I don't know if the pump system runs pressurised or whether a leak at the bolt/cap may cause problems. The reason I have it on the cap is to gain access to clean the debris off.

Has anyone any better solutions? New rack goes on this Saturday. Oh no, more sore necks. Pics to follow.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 13:30   #2
Track_Rod

I have heard of the magnet 'cleaning' method but never used it.

I tend to flush my steering fluid every 2-3 years and it's not difficult.

It's much easier if you have an assistant. Basically take the top pipe off the reservior and put it into an old 2 litre pop bottle. Caution as the reservoir outlets are fairly delicate plastic.

Top the reservoir up as high as the top pipe entry point. Run engine and turn lock to lock. Stop engine, top up fluid and repeat until fluid is clean.

It's amazing what a difference can be seen in the fluid colour and transparency.

Perhaps not likely to help you if you have leaking seals though.
Track_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 13:55   #3
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Here is the very item I found:-

Power Steering Fluid Cleanliness. I keep inside the power steering fluid reservoir a small but VERY STRONG magnet. I lowered it down inside on a wire and because it is strong it attaches to the metal bracket holding the reservoir. After first two weeks I was cleaning it every second or third day and you would be surprised how many metallic particles it was able to take out. For the first week the magnet was all covered and black every time. Now my power steering fluid is so clean, that I can see the bottom of the container with a flash light. Of course I changed the fluid after I take most metallic particles out. Besides there was a bulletin issued by Volvo stating that inside PS container there should be a magnet.

And the whole page for your reading:- http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Stee...id_Cleanliness

/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 14:39   #4
Track_Rod

That's the one !
Track_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 16:13   #5
ajm
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek
Has anyone any better solutions? New rack goes on this Saturday. Oh no, more sore necks. Pics to follow.
A write up of this job (and reasonable photos are always worth their weight in gold!) would be really helpful to quite a few folk I think - it seems that this job is cropping up quite often now, no doubt due to the age of the earlier 850s now.

My own rack ('93 850, 140k) has been slowly leaking for longer than I care to think, but I've been putting the replacement job off for a variety of reasons.

One consolation is I suppose if you've had the thing off before you're not likely to be hit with bolts that haven't moved in 12 years...

How difficult a job is it really?

Cheers,

AJ
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 16:33   #6
ShadeTek
Premier Member

The first time I did it, it took about 7 hours as you have to get the rack from behind the lower chassis. I did this by leaving the front and rear wheels on the ground, loosening off the front suspension bolts, removing the rear suspension bolts(on the front chassis) and then jacking the car up leaving the running gear on the ground. I could then get a gap at the back of the chassis to wangle the rack out. Something I should do this time is to measure the distance between the front wheels to avoid a wheel alignement. I must point out I did this at my friends place as he has a pit I could use. It makes life a lot easier.

Where I get my MOTs done said a leaking rack is an MOT fail. Can anyone verify this?

Last edited by ShadeTek; Jun 20th, 2006 at 16:38.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 16:40   #7
Steve-850T5

Tek, you must be one of the unluckiest guys i know!! Something else to add to your list of bits fallen off.

Might as well do that CV boot while you're dirty eh!

Good luck mate

Steve

Who needs ICE
T5 at full throttle....
Open the window and floor it
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 16:44   #8
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-850T5
Tek, you must be one of the unluckiest guys i know!! Something else to add to your list of bits fallen off.

Might as well do that CV boot while you're dirty eh!

Good luck mate

Steve

Who needs ICE
T5 at full throttle....

Well, I might add that I am already counting this particular failure in my list of failed parts. My mate is getting me the gators out of MACCESS nice'n'cheap for me. That'll be a job for next weekend.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 16:48   #9
Steve-850T5

Just to rub salt in your wounds, my 95 T5 has done 170k, i've had it a year now and my list of failed parts is...erm....none so far

Hope i havn't just put the kiss of death on it....lol

Steve

Who needs ICE
T5 at full throttle....
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 16:57   #10
ShadeTek
Premier Member

I've had my 850 for nearly 8 years, hence the long list. It's not as if the bits are cheap either.