Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tdi upgrade project

Views : 21427

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2015, 18:15   #1
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Default 850 tdi upgrade project

Thought I would put a few build pics up as the engine work is just about finished now. My goal is to reach 230-240 bhp and somewhere in the region of 360 ft/lb of torque. I'm still putting a few miles on it before I go all out but my ar5e dyno says it's not far off!

Anyway the build:

All the front end removed ready for the big intercooler. It seems there is even less space than a T5 to wedge a 3" one in but it is possible minus air con.

Manifolds removed to make way for the 16t.

After some swear words the 16t fits a treat. A custom bracket for the actuator had to be made due to the turbo being rotated.

The oil feed and return lines needed modifying and I was quite surprised how much smaller the diameter of the c70 return line is compared to the tdi one. Going to see how I get on without water lines to start with, I have read up on it and asked several experts their opinion and they think it will be fine as a diesel runs a lot cooler.

I will get more pics up over the weekend.

Last edited by martin_r_smith; Jan 16th, 2015 at 18:30.
martin_r_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 18:46   #2
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Found some more pics..

The modified manifold ready to take a td04 16t, next to old k14 housing.

It is surprising how restrictive the standard one is really. With the poorly designed wastegate setup of the standard k14 too its not surprising 200+bhp isn't really possible, believe me I tried!! Exhaust manifold pressure is huge due to the restrictions, so much so the exhaust valves cannot seat properly due to the back pressure.

This is the manifold with the 16t on.

I have used the old egr port to place a fitting for monitoring emp.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 20:00   #3
brickman
Premier Member

Been waiting for this for a while, looks like she'll be a monster!

Never looked down into the exhaust manifold but can see why its not so ideal.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 20:08   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

She feels a monster lol. Once I've done some miles I will get the final mapping done and the engine work should be finished.........for now!

I've been driving an 850 T5 saloon whilst mine has been off the road and I can honestly say my diesel has a lot more pull. It may not be as fast (ie top speed) but is certainly quicker on the road.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 11:40   #5
klunk

Update at last! Ace. I cannot believe how ridiculously restrictive the original manifold is? In your opinion is it possible to open it up a bit quite easily or is it on the limits?

Last edited by klunk; Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:45.
klunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 14:04   #6
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

I've opened mine up a bit but you definitely wouldn't get any gains if your sticking with the standard turbo. A bigger turbo is a must to get any descent or worthy gains.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 18:04   #7
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

The big intercooler was a tight fit but managed to go in with minimal trimming to the front panel. I know people will wonder why I haven't relocated the horns or trimmed the centre piece out for 'increased' air flow, but i wanted a completely standard look so they are staying where they are.

Nice shot of the turbo all plumbed in. The copper coil is to disapate heat from the exhaust gas before it gets to the guage to monitor emp.

General overview of the engine bay now it's all back together. I'm going to paint the shiny pipe black as it's not 'factory' enough for me.

The pipe work from the turbo to intercooler had to be changed due to the outlet on the intercooler coming out of the side not the front/back where the original one is. The hardest part was replacing the stupid twisty factory bottom pipe, what a crap design that is! Anyway all 2.5" now and nicely routed. Couldn't get great pics of it but you'll get the idea.

Can you spot what's missing here??

Give you a clue it weighs about 15kgs and is the size of a suit case lol.

Last edited by martin_r_smith; Jan 17th, 2015 at 18:06.
martin_r_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 18:15   #8
brickman
Premier Member

Straight pipe, or have you moved silencers to aft of rear axle ah la AWD?

Always fancied fitting the twin pipe setup from an R, as Im a sucker for a wagon with twin pipes, petrol or diesel, just looks right.

Also how fecking clean is your sump!
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 18:22   #9
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Yeah my engine seems to defy the rule that these things leak no matter what lol.

I have a small (302mm long) resonator just behind the rear axle. I had my tail pipe chopped off and connected to this to keep it looking original.
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 20:10   #10
brickman
Premier Member

This is turning into a weapon of mass coal production