Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 D5 - A quick review

Views : 6274

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:36   #1
burchi

Default V50 D5 - A quick review

Hi Guys

Thought I would post my impressions of the latest V50 model that is out.

I currently am driving one of these that has been supplied to me from Kings Volvo, Southampton whilst my V70R is having some work done.

I think a good short summary is "WOW"!!!

This car absolutely flies. The D5 engine is quiet, refined and never seems to run out of power. Yes, it is very slightly louder than a petrol equivalent at idle and when pushed hard but, other than that it is superb. Being a diesel though, fuel economy is very good. I have seen average fuel consumption figs that don't even appear on my V70R! Even with spirited driving, it averaged 33 mpg and driven more sedately, has returned 39-41 mpg. Not bad I reckon! I'm sure with a very gentle right foot this could get well into the 40's.

It is a good job the car has DSTC as with this amount of torque and power going through the front wheels, it would be a real handful to keep in a straight line. The handling is also very precise and the car feels nimble around corners even when pushed harder.

I drove a V50 & S40 2.0D previously and this is in another league again. Much smoother power delivery. I also notice that Volvo have put a left foot rest in this model. Whether that is because it is geartronic (the only available transmission currently on the D5) or whether this is now in all the models I do not know but, was something that was definately missing from the earlier versions!

The geartronic is not my transmission of preference (I like MT's) but, with this engine, it really doesn't seem to matter. Changes are smooth and quick both up and down the range.

The model I have is a V50 D5 SE Sport so comes with nice alloys and a bit of a bodykit on it. Does look pretty good with that combination.

So, if you get a chance, go have a drive of one of these... I am sure you will not be disappointed. The only danger is, you could be that impressed you may end up parting with money!!!

Regards

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 16:34   #2
Andy P
Swedish Cabbage

I'm not too keen on the look of the new S40 to be honest (although i doubt I'd say no to a T5 if someone offered it to me!) but I love the look of the V50's. Somehow the aggressiveness of the lines seem to suit it better. I've not driven a D5 but I may pop into the dealers for a test drive in one to see what all the fuss is about

Burchi,

Wouldn't the Havant dealership been easier to get to rather than Southampton? I have a feeling I've seen your V70R about. I remember a little while ago (A3M/A27 eastbound junction) one came storming up behind me, when it passed I noticed a twin exhaust set up. Possibly you? My GF is from Chichester, not too far from yourself

Andy P.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 19:37   #3
burchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy P View Post
I'm not too keen on the look of the new S40 to be honest (although i doubt I'd say no to a T5 if someone offered it to me!) but I love the look of the V50's. Somehow the aggressiveness of the lines seem to suit it better. I've not driven a D5 but I may pop into the dealers for a test drive in one to see what all the fuss is about

Burchi,

Wouldn't the Havant dealership been easier to get to rather than Southampton? I have a feeling I've seen your V70R about. I remember a little while ago (A3M/A27 eastbound junction) one came storming up behind me, when it passed I noticed a twin exhaust set up. Possibly you? My GF is from Chichester, not too far from yourself

Andy P.
Hi Andy... Yes, you are right, the Havant dealer would be easier but, I have bought a 2003 V70R and this was from Kings in Southampton hence they are carrying out the repairs under warranty.

On my V70R........ "I remember a little while ago (A3M/A27 eastbound junction) one came storming up behind me" Doesn't sound like me driving at all Seriously though, I do work that way and come back Eastbound so, could have been I guess...

Anyhow, my current V70 R AWD has now been sold and the buyer comes to collect tomorrow so, perhaps keep an eye out for my new '53 reg silver V70R!!

Regards

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 13:07   #4
macman8135

Could anyone else who has test driven the S40/V50 with the D5 Geartronic let me know what they thought of it? I tried one yesterday (a V50 SE D5) and was rather underwhelmed by the gearbox. The D5 is a great engine but the auto mode seems a bit sluggish or mushy, and when I tried it in semi-auto mode it still seems slow to respond. Downshifts are fairly quick, but when you try to change up, it seems to think about it and take it's time. To be fair, the car had only 60 miles on it so maybe it would loosen up in time?
I've little experience of semi-autos, but have driven a car with the VAG DSG system, which seems far more responsive than the Geartronic (also it's 6 speed rather than 5). On a brief test it was difficult to really judge it fairly, so what do other people think?
I really like the S40, but wanted a diesel auto, now it's here I'm not convinced.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 16:09   #5
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman8135 View Post
Could anyone else who has test driven the S40/V50 with the D5 Geartronic let me know what they thought of it? I tried one yesterday (a V50 SE D5) and was rather underwhelmed by the gearbox. The D5 is a great engine but the auto mode seems a bit sluggish or mushy, and when I tried it in semi-auto mode it still seems slow to respond. Downshifts are fairly quick, but when you try to change up, it seems to think about it and take it's time. To be fair, the car had only 60 miles on it so maybe it would loosen up in time?
I've little experience of semi-autos, but have driven a car with the VAG DSG system, which seems far more responsive than the Geartronic (also it's 6 speed rather than 5). On a brief test it was difficult to really judge it fairly, so what do other people think?
I really like the S40, but wanted a diesel auto, now it's here I'm not convinced.
I have to admit I don't really like the geartronic box at all.

Have you tried the 2.0D ? Its fairly quick for its size despite having only 136bhp although I've only tried it in the 6-Speed manual.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 18:42   #6
macman8135

Yes, the first S40 I tried was the 2.0D SE. But ideally I wanted a automatic, and thought with the D5 diesel this would be the right combination of power and transmission. Maybe the Geartronic just takes some more getting used to, but I didn't take to it on a short test run.
I also think Volvo have overpriced the D5 SE, a premium of over £3,500 over the 2.0D SE is surely too much-I was expecting it to be around £2500 more.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 19:12   #7
imac
Premier Member

I was running some figures this afternoon actually.

I specced up a V50 2.0D SE Sport with metallic paint, winter pack, premium hi-fi, power retractable door mirrors and with the VOC discount comes to £22,790 (allowing 5% dealer discount).

Then I specced up an S60 D5 (185) SE Sport with winter pack, premium audio, power door mirrors and the auto dimming lights, allowing for the free metallic paint and 7.5% VOC discount + 5% dealer discount... £24,812

I think the S60 represents the best value for money over the S40/V50. If you want a D5 V50 you're looking at another £3,000 ontop of the £22,790 making it £1k more than the S60 (!).

I love the way the V50 looks though, in Sport guise
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 19:17   #8
7050man
Master Member

Yep I agree. S60 does look better deal and is more car for your money.
Depreciation may offset the initial price though, as I guess the V50 will hold onto it's value better than S60, which is due for upgrade within next year or so.
However, it's nice to play with the numbers.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote