Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40: battery drained within 48 hrs, go service or not?

Views : 946

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 20:56   #1
Vince Shaw

Default S40: battery drained within 48 hrs, go service or not?

This is my first post here, a novice for S40. Hope to get advice from experienced users.
I bought a S40 1.6, MY2003, 63000 miles last Tuesday (live in Finland, non-volvo dealer), drove only twice, last driving was about 40 km, then parked. After 48 hrs, I could not start the car anymore. When I inserted the key, the first two minutes was normal: radio started, fan ran, I took something to the rear luggage and returned to the seat, then I noticed something strange: all the panel lights and warning icons were blinking and beeping, including the red hands on the odometer and engine speed meter. After one or two minutes, the blinking and beep stopped, the SERVICE icon remained there strikingly. I could not start the engine since then, whenever the key was turned to position II, there were warning beep and blinking lights and SERVICE icon. I measured the battery, only 8.5 V. This is the obvious reason, but is this the true and only reason? In my old Volvo 360, if I had flat battery, I got sluggish starter and no engine start but not this kind of fancy warning. I got confused .
Two questions bothered me:
1. Will a simple flat batter trigger such a complete warning call for service?
2. A battery last less than 48 hrs after 40 km driving/recharging even in the summer time, does this suggest something else?
I don't know how old the battery is but at most three years, it is a genuine Volve 60 AH one.
I guess a jump start or re-charge battery may work, but the car is still in the half-year warranty. Should I call service for a flat battery?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Vince
Vince Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 23:36   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your stay..

I would go to the dealer for the battery issue.
It may not be the battery but the alternator that is not properly charging the battery that is causing the issue.

You should be getting a 14v output or thereabouts from the alternator to run the car and charge the battery..
Get them to check it out...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 19:01   #3
Vince Shaw

Default Thanks and more

Many thanks, CTCNetwork. Encouraged by you, I took the car to a Volvo service. They said alternator is OK but the battery is dead. In addition, they found the eninge timing unit is broken and need to be replaced. It is a big service cost around 900 €. The dealer agreed to replace both but want to use their own technician to save the labor cost and assure me they will use original parts.
I feel both relief and worry: relief about a hidden problem is identified and fixed; worry about if this is a sign of unreliability of the car. A technician told me the timing unit is not a consumable part, it breaks by chance, thus not a sign of wearing engine. Upon replaced, the engine will return to normal function. Is he right?
Thanks again for your help.

Vince
Vince Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 20:10   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Thanks heavens for dealer warranties..
At least you are covered there...

In my time here I have not seen mention of timing unit faults. Do they mean the ECU?
Sensors certainly, and they will wear out/brake down over time. There are several for different systems on the car.

Generally Volvos, and the S40, have a reasonable rep. Major niggles will be in theS40 forum so have a browse through.
The car is relatively new (3 years) but have been driven a fairly high mileage in its time.
Not a bad thing as it was likely motorway miles and they tend to not wear the engine excessively.

I would not be overly concerned. Things break, and for unknown reasons.
Once this is resolved I think you will have a nice car on your hands...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 23:27   #5
bb54
diy bhp

i agree with the wise words of CTCN.

wayne

auto 96 T5
tweaked n ratted
bb54 is offline   Reply With Quote