Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C 70 Immobiliser won't reset

Views : 7258

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 18:50   #1
Bobbledog
Convertible enthusiast

Default C 70 Immobiliser won't reset

Car is a 2006 'new style' C70. I went to the shops OK this morning but on returning to the car everything worked except the starter didn't turn, no click or anything. After a few tries the message 'immobiliser see handbook' appeared. The handbook being useless on this subject I tried locking and unlocking the car several times. My wife brought the spare set of keys all to no avail.
I called the recovery but they could find nothing wrong, even tried resetting everything by disconnecting the battery, but after a couple of hours messing about the message changed to 'low battery'. The recovery guy tried jumping the battery but to no effect. being a Saturday there was nowhere to go but recover the car to home and wait until Monday. A check for error messages shows nothing though would these show without the engine running? The car did 2 15 mile trips yesterday and 300 miles on Wednesday so the battery should have been well charged.

So now the car is parked up the road in a safe place so as not to block in the rest of the family. is it OK to take the battery out and charge it overnight? Has anybody any suggestions about the immobiliser?

Last edited by Bobbledog; Apr 2nd, 2016 at 18:53. Reason: added detail
Bobbledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 19:16   #2
paddyred
Master Member

Hi Bobbledog,

Taking the battery out and leaving it overnight will be fine but you will have many "odd faults" in the morning on the display such as alarm system service required. Ignore those (They will go away once you start the car, stop it, lock it and leave it ten minutes then unlock it again). Hopefully a fresh battery and leaving it overnight with the battery off to reset should be enough to kick it back into action. If not, try the connections on the back of the CEM. These can lead to odd electrical faults. Also, remember the central locking wont work without a battery so you will have to manually lock all the doors.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 20:46   #3
Bobbledog
Convertible enthusiast

Well Paddyred that was very helpful. I removed the battery and put it on charge where it took ove 6amps for about 5hours. So I put it back on and the car still behaves OK until you try to start it when with everything lit as normal nothing happens. After a couple of tries the immobiliser message comes up.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 21:48   #4
paddyred
Master Member

Well its a shame that didn't work! Try again in the morning as the immobilizer can reset after 5 hours. It may be that you have a dodgy ignition switch that isn't picking up the transponder in the key. Theres a coil that's wrapped around the ignition switch that picks up the signal. Apparently these can go wrong after a while.

In any case, I would check the connections on the back of the CEM. Its unlikely but it if it works its a free fix. Disconnect the battery for over 10 minutes first (20 minutes if you can) and then pull the fuse box down from under the passenger side dash. Its behind the scraggy looking piece of carpet. After the two twist fasteners are undone you can drop the front down then lift the back and pull towards the rear of the car. It should now be dislocated from its hinge points. Disconnect all the large plugs you can see on it and have a look to see if they are corroded. If not then stick it all back and reconnect the battery (again, ignore the random faults) and try again. If they are corroded then some IPA and a small paint brush should clean them up. I also get a product called Deoxit shield to stop them corroding again if they are corroded when you take the plugs off.

Good luck!
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 21:53   #5
Guru
Premier Member

So it's a no-crank situation?

Probably a faulty key barrel, or SCU as Volvo calls it, "Starter Control Unit"

This can be overridden by directly starting the car through the starter relay.

With the ignition turned off and key out, put the car in neutral and engage the handbrake, then go to the relay box in the engine compartment and open it.
Pull out the relay in the red circle shown in the pic.

With the relay in your hand, gently remove it's plastic case, you can gently pry it off using a penknife or a thin flat head screwdriver.

With the plastic case off, put the relay back in it's socket by pushing on it's margins and edges, DO NOT TOUCH THE COIL OR CONTACTS IN THE RELAY AT THIS POINT!!

Now, with the relay back in place, put in the key, turn it to position II, don't forget that the car should be in neutral and the handbrake engaged!

Go back to the naked relay, and mate the relay contacts, they are on the side of the relay, you can use your fingers, a pen, pencil or stylus .. the engine should crank and start.

Last edited by Guru; Apr 3rd, 2016 at 21:56.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 23:51   #6
Bobbledog
Convertible enthusiast

Default Result

Turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. Thanks for your help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobbledog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 17:27   #7
DrBradHenson

Default Having similar problem

I have a 2009 Volvo C 70. Yesterday my son was driving it and hit a curb with the front drivers side bumper... was moving slowly. But it did some cosmetic damage. But now the immobilizer won’t let the car stay running… It will start and a soon as it drops to an idle it dies.

We bought this car used and I do not have an owners manual.

I’m trying to discern whether or not there something actually wrong or the immobilizer simply needs to be reset.

He said that the windshield wipers came on and we’re on high the first time he try to start the car… Now the screen reads that there is a power steering issue and then occasionally it will say the word immobilizer.

Any advice would be appreciated.
DrBradHenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, c70, charging, immobiliser, starting issue