Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

144 (Jane) off to the restorer's on Monday for surgery!

Views : 5528

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:11   #31
80sRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by laptoprob View Post

About the gauges: check the wiring at the back of the clock-block. It's fiddly to get it out, but on mine one of the connecting wire clips was damaged.
If both gauges stop working at the same time, I don't believe the gauges are faulty. Not likely anyway.
With regards the gauges, they are getting seriously annoying now. We have taken the old Voltage Stabilizer off and replaced it with something from Maplin listed in an old post on this forum. I was hoping that would work, but unfortunately nothing doing.

So, before we take the block back out and take it apart to clean it, we are going to replace the temp sender in the engine and going to check the wiring to the tank sender.

Hopefully we'll get them done and working soon.
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:13   #32
80sRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Hi Rich, your car looking well. Presumably you got your MOT. I thought my Amazon would have been on the road by this time but it seems to be dragging on and so I am trying to be very patient. She is looking well but might still be a couple of weeks before I get her MOT'd. This is the problem with having to wait for my friends with the necessary skills. How I admire those guys who can do it all without having to rely on others.
Soon. Very soon! How I am looking forward to driving her on the road. I have named her Ulla after Ulla at Volvo HQ, Gothenburg who has been very helpful in supplying me with information on the car - and it sounds a lovely Swedish girls name.
Hi Dibble, I can only say that it will be worth the wait. The restorers put it through the MOT as they had kept the car for so long! You'll have to put up lots of pictures when it is done! As soon as I take my car out of my garage I will be taking a lot of pictures.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 23:26   #33
Dibble
VOC Member

Hi Rich, I am sure you are right. That is what they say about Guiness! Hopefully my problem will be resolved this week. There is something wrong at the back end. Rear wheels give the impression of being buckled but my friends are all turning up this week so hope one of them has the answers.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 20:05   #34
80sRich

Well, I finally took her out for a test run today.

Got a bit of rubbing on the alternator bracket so will be grinding that down, but other than that everything went very very well.

And even better the fuel sender fixed itself! I filled it up with fuel, went over a a bump and the gauge started working! Result.

Anyway, as promised, here are some pictures of it sitting at the end of my road.

I think it has all been worth the wait!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12052011060.jpg (278.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 12052011061.jpg (287.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 12052011062.jpg (296.9 KB, 45 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 80sRich For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2011, 20:43   #35
ALLOA
Master Member

The car looks ace. Must get mine done now!

Cheers

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:42   #36
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sRich View Post

Got a bit of rubbing on the alternator bracket so will be grinding that down, but other than that everything went very very well.

And even better the fuel sender fixed itself! I filled it up with fuel, went over a a bump and the gauge started working! Result.

Anyway, as promised, here are some pictures of it sitting at the end of my road.

Very Nice !!!
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:21   #37
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sRich View Post

Looks good. Are you going to BKV (national) or Southern? would like to see it iin the flesh
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:18   #38
80sRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Looks good. Are you going to BKV (national) or Southern? would like to see it iin the flesh
Yeah, my dad and I will be coming up for the Southern. It will be good to have a good look at your 144 as well.

It will be also be good to get some advice on a few of the issues.

I am pretty pleased with the black interior, we put in new carpets, had the seats redone and put in the black door cards that came with it, it looks smart now, just needs a classic stereo to put in the dash to finish it off.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:23   #39
Andy Northface
Where's that 18mm socket?

My Dad had a 144 the same colour as yours and when I was in ( 8years old ) it I used to feel like I was in a limousine! It brought back a few memories.
Andy
Andy Northface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 21:48   #40
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
Hi Rich, I am sure you are right. That is what they say about Guiness! Hopefully my problem will be resolved this week. There is something wrong at the back end. Rear wheels give the impression of being buckled but my friends are all turning up this week so hope one of them has the answers.
All fixed now and have new MOT. Paperwork now at DVLA and should be returned within the week and then the open road! Time to get on with it ALLOA.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post: