Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Reset SRS warning light?

Views : 39627

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2015, 08:26   #21
Richard_TD
Master Member

Once it's on it's on, it can only be reset by plugging in. I have the kit to do it but I'm a bit far away in Fife (not impossibly so, if it comes to it).

Looking at the map I can see there is somebody in Dumfries with the VIDA-DICE kit to do it http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136759 The best thing would be to contact him.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 03:12   #22
TrueCompanionv70R

Default SRS service light cleared!

FYI- I went to Amazon.com and purchased the iCarsoft i906 for about $130.00 U.S. and had the fault read and cleared in 5 minutes. The most complicated part was downloading the software updates to my PC so that the unit would be up to date and that was a breeze.

Well worth the purchase as I now have the ability to access issues and their severity on my own! I am already enjoying the savings as my next service visit will now be almost $300.00 cheaper.

The fault stemmed from the installation of GROM Audio unit (I forgot to the disconnect the batt. ground). The dealership quoted me $200~$250 to do the install and I know they would've charged at least $100 to diagnose the fault and clear it AND the regular service reminder (which can be cleared w/o a DTC reader).

If you do get a DTC reader make SURE that it will be Volvo compatible. For $16 I discovered that the Autel MaxiScan MS300 is not, however it will work will lots of other vehicles like my Focus SVT.
TrueCompanionv70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 00:40   #23
bournricha
bournricha

Quite a lot of mid range code readers will get into srs .I have one called a Launch CR123 from diagnostics world online .It cost about £150 I think and it does SRS no problem and for all makes .I am sure there may be something a little cheaper somewhere ,but actually it is probably one of the best purchases I have ever made particularly ,if you have, or repair, a number of different modern vehicles .Some kind of medium code reader is as essential as spanners nowadays and I WAS very old school, but have changed my ways out of necessity
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 00:26   #24
Scotlad

Default SRS Airbag Service on 2002 Volvo V70

Richard,

I read this thread that you commented on and you mentioned that you might have the kit to reset this warning ? I was changing the blower motor behind the glovebox and I think I must have nudged something with the airbag and I hope I just need it reset. It was only that you mentioned you were in Fife that I thought if you still had the kit to do it that I might be able to ask for a favour in seeing if you can reset it.

Regards

Phil
Scotlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 22:59   #25
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

wrong section dude, this is the V70 mk1 section, try the s60/v70 section

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2017, 23:14   #26
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlad View Post
Richard,

I read this thread that you commented on and you mentioned that you might have the kit to reset this warning ? I was changing the blower motor behind the glovebox and I think I must have nudged something with the airbag and I hope I just need it reset. It was only that you mentioned you were in Fife that I thought if you still had the kit to do it that I might be able to ask for a favour in seeing if you can reset it.

Regards

Phil
I can do that no problem, it'll only take a few minutes. PM me to organise a suitable time. Are you able to bring the car to me in Cupar?
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 23:44   #27
byootox
Premier Member

You don't actually need Vadis to reset it, there's other tools like Autocom/Delphi, Launch etc that will do it.
Most garages should be able to put the light off for you.
The cheapo OBD tools won't work though you will need a tool a bit better.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 10:55   #28
richardbell556

Default ppc

Default BSR code reader

Product Description
Reset service indicator
Read all DTCs
Erase all DTCs
Handles all control units

The ultimate diagnostic tool for Volvo is here - PPC® Diagnostic System! The diagnostic tool is developed by BSR and it can both read and erase DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and it can also reset the service reminder lamp (SRL). Its compact format makes it easy to use and carry around. Trouble shooting is easy and quick via the diagnostic outlet of the car (OBDII).

All control units, all trouble codes

PPC® Diagnostic System is able to both read and erase all DTCs for all control systems on a Volvo car. In an ordinary Volvo S60 there are more than 10 different control units that control the engine, transmission, ABS, airbag, radio, air conditioner, electric windows etc. PPC® can handle all control systems in the car, and it’s able to perform fault diagnostics on nearly 40 different control units and more than 8000 DTCs.

Unique product

The possibility to perform fault diagnostics on all control systems in a Volvo car, together with a beneficial pricing, makes PPC® Diagnostic System to a unique product on the market. Before it was impossible for independent workshops to perform a complete fault finding for a reasonable price. PPC® Diagnostic System makes that possible!

For who?

When you’ve worked with a car - repaired something, exchanged some parts, or just cut out the current – the car can indicate several DTCs despite that there is nothing wrong with the car. To get these DTCs erased you often have to spend a lot of time and money. PPC® Diagnostic System solves the problem!

We can recommend our product to:
Volvo workshops looking for portable equipment.
Independent workshops
Sheet-metal workers and auto paint shops
Alarm- and stereo installation contractors
Companies with a large car fleet e.g. taxi and car dealers
Private persons fixing at home

Vehicle coverage

PPC® Diagnostic System works with all Volvo from 2001-2007 but there are exceptions to be aware of.

Exceptions:

* S80 1999-2006 works
* S80 D/D5/TDI 1999-2000 does not work
* C70 98-05 does not work
* S/V40 96-04 does not work
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 00:44   #29
petrohl34d

Just wanted to add my own experience of this from the last couple of days.

I transfered the leather seats from my old V70 into my new one a good while ago, and didn't realise that you had to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery beforehand, so I've been driving around with the SRS light on for such a long time now that I completely forgot about it the other day; and failed MOT as a result.

I then bought VIDA and DICE and got them running after a bit of fiddling.

Initially the DICE unit wouldn't turn on, even when connected to the OBD II port where it draws power from. I traced the reason for this back to the number 5, 15A fuse which shares the duty of climate control and diagnostics.

My AC pump is blown, and I've just bypassed it with a non-AC belt, but every time I put a new fuse in and turned the engine on, it would immediately blow the fuse. So I unplugged the electrical connector from the AC pump, replaced the fuse and hey presto, no more blown fuses.

So with VIDA/DICE up and running, I used this video to navigate through the process of wiping the fault (It's a bad quality vid, but the info you need is in there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSUi0EqFrlo&t=3s

Even after following this process, and then following the final instructions to turn ignition off, turn engine on and rev to 1500rpm, turn engine off, and then turn it on and let idle for 20 seconds, the SRS light was still coming on.

So I followed the process from a couple of posts back in this thread.
  1. Disconnected negative battery terminal
  2. Made sure all the leads were connected underneath the seats
  3. Erased the faults with VIDA/DICE, and then ran through the engine off/engine on process

Boom, no more SRS light.

Last edited by petrohl34d; Feb 7th, 2018 at 01:02.
petrohl34d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 23:20   #30
twostrokekid

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueCompanionv70R View Post
FYI- I went to Amazon.com and purchased the iCarsoft i906 for about $130.00 U.S. and had the fault read and cleared in 5 minutes. The most complicated part was downloading the software updates to my PC so that the unit would be up to date and that was a breeze.

Well worth the purchase as I now have the ability to access issues and their severity on my own! I am already enjoying the savings as my next service visit will now be almost $300.00 cheaper.

The fault stemmed from the installation of GROM Audio unit (I forgot to the disconnect the batt. ground). The dealership quoted me $200~$250 to do the install and I know they would've charged at least $100 to diagnose the fault and clear it AND the regular service reminder (which can be cleared w/o a DTC reader).

If you do get a DTC reader make SURE that it will be Volvo compatible. For $16 I discovered that the Autel MaxiScan MS300 is not, however it will work will lots of other vehicles like my Focus SVT.
Absolutely agree with this. I had a red light SRS code the other day and decided against taking it to a main dealer as they would impound the car until they had "fixed" it. I disconected the battery, cleaned up all the plugs and sockets underneath the seats and reset the code with the iCarsoft i906 that I got for £96. I've now got my SRS problem fixed at home and an excellent diagnostic tool for the future.
twostrokekid is offline   Reply With Quote