Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.0d poor running

Views : 4634

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 13:47   #1
bircham

Unhappy V50 2.0d poor running

My wife's 2006 MY V502.0d (euro IV compliant) is also suffering from poor running and idling. It only has 4000 miles on the clock and has lumpy idle and sends out clouds of blue smoke on start up. Her previous 2004 S402.0d wa freat - smooth and quiet, but this new engine seems to be noisier and at times reminds me of an old traansit diesel! It has been to the dealer twice in two weeks and each time they have found faults via the computer, say that the fault codes are gone and that the car is ok - which it isn't. Last time (Wed 22nd) I had a mechanic in the car in withme and he agreed that it was not running properly. I spoke to the service guy and he tried to tell me that this was normal for the new euro IV engine.
has anyone got any ideas what this might be - I had a euro IV engined 2.0d courtesy car and it was smooth and wuiet with no hint of any roughness - I really feel like rejecting the vehicle if they can't fix it.

Thanks for any help,

Jon
bircham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 21:43   #2
7050man
Master Member

Should be smooth, so if running badly then something's not quite right I should think.
Did you ask the service desk what specifically the software had flagged up and then what they had done by way of investigation?
Remember that there will be error codes generated by the car that should point the technician in the direction of any failing component.
The problem may be difficult to fix, especially if the fault is intermittent and there is no failing component at the time but there should be some investigation, using the error code as a start point.
Other option is the possibility of a false error code. In my experience, electrical noise, faulty connections (intermittent) or just flakey software can all give false codes. Just resetting the software will not stop the code being generated in the first place.
Thing is, if you ask the right questions, the service guy will either have to lie through his teeth or get more involved with a diagnosis.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Jez
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 16:31   #3
bircham

Thanks for the info Jez,
I have spoken to the dealership since and they have agreed to look at the car. It is really bad, clouds of blue smoke on start up and irregular running. I totally agree that a fault code must be created by a fault and to any normal person you can see the car is not running correctly. It is so frustrating that it is taking so long to get sorted!
The car was meant to have been picked up last night but the dealership called to cancel as the service manager was ill. I now have to rearrange to get the car seen at a differnt time.
Do you think I should just let them take the car and say that we don't want it back until it is sorted?
Another thing, the blue smoke - is it likely to be damaging the catalyst everytime that smoke comes out through the exhaust?

Thanks again,
Jon
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 22:30   #4
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bircham
Thanks for the info Jez,
I have spoken to the dealership since and they have agreed to look at the car. It is really bad, clouds of blue smoke on start up and irregular running. I totally agree that a fault code must be created by a fault and to any normal person you can see the car is not running correctly. It is so frustrating that it is taking so long to get sorted!
The car was meant to have been picked up last night but the dealership called to cancel as the service manager was ill. I now have to rearrange to get the car seen at a differnt time.
Do you think I should just let them take the car and say that we don't want it back until it is sorted?
Another thing, the blue smoke - is it likely to be damaging the catalyst everytime that smoke comes out through the exhaust?

Thanks again,
Jon
Hmm, a bit strange that they can't look at your car "because the service manager is ill". Does the dealership close the complete service dept. because he's not in? I doubt it. They must be stalling for some reason.
If you feel that you are being fobbed off by this dealer, then maybe you should either talk to Volvo directly or perhaps try another dealer.
You need to be firm but polite in your dealings. Ask them specifically what they think the problem is and get them to decide a course of action that should resolve it. If they are not sure, then ask them what happens next, ie leave the ball firmly in their court and demand an answer.
Regarding leaving the car with them, I don't think I would do this unless it had comletely failed and you couldn't use it. They'll just leave it in the corner and carry on with more lucrative service work on other vehicles. Only do this as a last resort.
The blue smoke from the exhaust is interesting. It may be that you have a problem with the regeneration of the catalytic filter. I've heard of this before with Saabs that have E4 engines and cat filters. I should say at this point that I am not a Volvo or Saab technician and can only speak as one who takes a n interest in technical matters. I am not an expert.
With Volvo, I have been told by a tech at my dealer, that every so often, fluid is sprayed onto the cat filter to "regenerate" or burn off any deposits. This allows the surface to do it's job ie neutralise harmful emmission. THis I think occurrs after certain intervals and when the fuel tank has been filled. If the tank is run half full, then this regeneration may never occurr. To add, if you only do local stop start journeys under this condition, then the cat may never regenerate. HOw this produces blue smoke, I'm not sure, but if any of this relevent, then your dealer should ask these type of questions and investigate.
Finally, my last car was a Saab 95 3.0TiD estate. Brilliant car and I never had any problems with it. Some did though as there were some serious problems with some of the engines. Have a look at this link about a guy that had his engine fail within 30 miles of driving the car home from the dealer. YOU may find it useful.
http://www.saabscene.
com/saabforum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/430879/page/0/fpart/all/vc/1

Good luck and keep us posted. Jez
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 09:48   #5
7050man
Master Member

Sorry but the link I gave in last post won't work as I think you have to be a member of the forum (could always join I suppose). Any way www.saabscene.com will get you to the main page and then look in the 9-5 technical section. The chap that had problem was Big JJ and his post was entitled "3.0 V6 TiD blows out his coolant" . I think he posted around April 2005.
Jez
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 14:15   #6
the great one

it will need a new egr valve
the great one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 19:04   #7
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the great one
it will need a new egr valve
Why is the egr valve giving this symptom?
I should add that I'm not disagreeing with your comment as there are well documented know issues on E4 engines having problems with them. My suspicions were with it, but as I am not a Volvo or Ford technician I didn't want to offer something that I couldn't fully justify.
I'm just curious to know what the egr valve does, how it does it and why if it fails you get blue smoke.
Regards
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 19:35   #8
the great one

egr common fault at the mo symptons - poor starting, rough running lumpy idle ,lack of power and smoking. all this happens whens the egr valve is stuck open. quick test for this is remove the engine cover then start the engine have a feel of the chrome pipe on the right hand side of the engine your find it starts getting hot straight away cause the egr valve is stuck open.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 21:17   #9
bircham

Thanks for the info re the poor running of our V50. The garage are picking up the car tomorrow evening and I will mention the egr to them. It is infuriating that a problem that is weel known on this engine has not been mentioned by them at all. The car is a pain to drive with the poor running and starting as well.
Do you know if this would effect the fuel consumption? At the mo the average is 38.0 according to the computer, whereas the official combined is 50 mpg!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 21:33   #10
the great one

yes it will affect the mpg for the worse