Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 145S Estate

Views : 6381

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2013, 19:03   #11
andyschest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 244T View Post
Preston....

The other day I saw a 145 heading South from Preston, in a white colour too, I was traveling in the other direction so not sure if it was an "S"
That was probably me in my white 74 145dl auto
andyschest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andyschest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 02:15   #12
Colin145Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by D200VOO View Post
I thought I'd share my own early 145 with you - sorry for the poor i-phone pic.

It's also used as a regular car; carrying whatever needs carrying in the back and hooning around the lanes.

It started life as a single carb auto but is now twin carb and M41 'box.

I've got some "S" wing badges to fit this weekend.

There's another 1970 145 in Cheshire in white with the same blue interior as mine.

Toodle Pip

Simon

*Wolf Whistle* Looks really nice

Anyyyyway, sorry its been so long but i got some pics and a run down of this cars history!!

So, the car is a 1970 Volvo 145S Estate, 1 owner from new up to 2006 when it went to a bodyshop had 2 new wings and rear arches and both sides resprayed... Theres a HUGE amount of history and reciepts, currently at 193,000 miles and it had 2 engine rebuilts. and a brake overhaul in the south of france.

So every since dad owned it, 2008 at Anglia Car Auction (The auction Top Gear went to in Kings Lynn) he paid £1300!! and its 1 of 3 left in the UK! it had a water leak coming from the screen so my dad being a windscreen fitter pull it out cleaned up and reseal the screen it... Also It would running on, pinking and generally not right but would always carry on and this summer he decided enough is enough and took the head off to find this

A damaged valve seat!! So much for 2 engine rebuilts!!!

So a new head(from a 240 i believe, ground in valve seats, new gaskets & also a new clutch this thing drives like a dream!! Serious even me (a 21 year old lad) can drive it easily! The orignally 2 litre engine (was bored out in its first rebuilt) really does pull, my dad is calm when driving this but on the occasion when he hustles it along it really does move.. I call it the 'sleeper' a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Anyways enough talking, its time i show some pics. The paint isnt the best and gets affected by hard water so, we cracked out the machine polisher!!

Engine

My Dad, and the green machine!

Before

After

Nice reflection

Who doesnt love a horizontal speedo??

Anyways thought it was about time i let you gentleman catch up with the Volvo

Just in case anyones interested about my set of wheels, im not a classic car owner yet but i so want a maad volvo to tool around in.. My current set of wheels is this, picture from my home made camera rig. Mk4 1.3 Fiesta, very clean and loads of OEM mods ive done myself Please dont hate :/

Cheers Rob
Colin145Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Colin145Estate For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 13:25   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Looks like they tried to rescue that valve seat by fitting an insert. Not a very good job! New head unlikely to be from a 240 as that model only got the B20 for '75 and only, I think, for the USA market.

Nice car, look after it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2013, 14:52   #14
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
Reason they're weak at the front end is the 140/160 series have crumple zones. Wonder if Volvo ever considered a four spring system like Peugeot estates had. The Pugs had much higher load capacity (though they rusted away a bit quicker!)
Ah yes, the infamous 504.
Or P Jo, as the Africans call them.
My dad had a curious attraction to the beastly things, inflicting on us kids the smelly cheap French vinyl seats that were purgatory on hot days, plus the small piles of rust they left everywhere when slamming a door.the night before my O levels was spent doing a head gasket on one!
They did have a huge load area. and a usefully high roof, though thankfully we never tested the mediocre crash protection of this French/African icon.
Of course, they are practically extinct now, and justly unloved.

The 145S, however, is different.
Dad also had one, a 1970 LHD American spec(pre smog junk), white with blue seats and tinted glass.
Went like the clappers, on Five star just as it was becoming extinct,and I remember collecting an Allen Scythe in it with ease.
He sold it to an ex pat Iranian antique dealer in Brighton, about 1978.

I know which I'd prefer now!
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 03:10   #15
guitarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Ah yes, the infamous 504.
Or P Jo, as the Africans call them.
My dad had a curious attraction to the beastly things, inflicting on us kids the smelly cheap French vinyl seats that were purgatory on hot days, plus the small piles of rust they left everywhere when slamming a door.the night before my O levels was spent doing a head gasket on one!
They did have a huge load area. and a usefully high roof, though thankfully we never tested the mediocre crash protection of this French/African icon.
Of course, they are practically extinct now, and justly unloved.

The 145S, however, is different.
Dad also had one, a 1970 LHD American spec(pre smog junk), white with blue seats and tinted glass.
Went like the clappers, on Five star just as it was becoming extinct,and I remember collecting an Allen Scythe in it with ease.
He sold it to an ex pat Iranian antique dealer in Brighton, about 1978.

I know which I'd prefer now!
Ouch! Many Francophiles would vehemently disagree with you-
Can't comment on the smell of the vinyl but they were very comfortable and the fuel inj versions were quite brisk. Plus they made diesels, shame Volvo didn't as Im sure it would have been done well.
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2013, 22:19   #16
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Ouch! Many Francophiles would vehemently disagree with you-
Can't comment on the smell of the vinyl but they were very comfortable and the fuel inj versions were quite brisk. Plus they made diesels, shame Volvo didn't as Im sure it would have been done well.
Each to his own, but few decent classic motors have emanated from Gaul.
(Yes , they were comfortable, we travelled in a 504 taxi in Ghana on dirt roads, but, nah!).
No offence intended to all you closet Francophiles!
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 02:05   #17
guitarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Each to his own, but few decent classic motors have emanated from Gaul.
(Yes , they were comfortable, we travelled in a 504 taxi in Ghana on dirt roads, but, nah!).
No offence intended to all you closet Francophiles!
Ouch! Bugattis (all of em) Delahaye , Delage, Panhards, DS, SM, Traction, M35, CX, all the Alpines, various Matras, anything Gordini, peugeots 404 (esp the wonderful convertible),
504 coupe, Salmsons, several Hotchkiss, Simca coupes (very cute) to name a few- so the French have knocked up one or two half decent cars- plus a massive motor racing heritage .
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:43   #18
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Quote:
Ouch! Bugattis (all of em) Delahaye , Delage, Panhards, DS, SM, Traction, M35, CX, all the Alpines, various Matras, anything Gordini, peugeots 404 (esp the wonderful convertible),
504 coupe, Salmsons, several Hotchkiss, Simca coupes (very cute) to name a few- so the French have knocked up one or two half decent cars- plus a massive motor racing heritage .
I had a Citreon Ami 6 before my 144 and to compare to a Volvo would be silly....French cars are generally wonderful to drive, extremely light (un-powered) steering, very responsive, excellent in board brakes BUT rot as soon as they come off the production line.....great shame as they are often the most beautiful of cars....plus, and this was the main reason I sold mine, I simply would not put my family in one. Side impacts - you'd be very lucky to get away with a shattered pelvis!!!

Mate has a DS - again fantastic looking and handling but even the roofs rot away!!!

Love the Panhards too - seen one in thsi country ever!!

Love the 504s too - and the coupes

I love French cars but they are so flimsy. Swedish build quality with French quirk is my idea of car utopia!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 13:27   #19
heckflosse
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Billy Smalls;1443663]I had a Citreon Ami 6 before my 144 and to compare to a Volvo would be silly....French cars are generally wonderful to drive, extremely light (un-powered) steering, very responsive, excellent in board brakes BUT rot as soon as they come off the production line.....great shame as they are often the most beautiful of cars....plus, and this was the main reason I sold mine, I simply would not put my family in one. Side impacts - you'd be very lucky to get away with a shattered pelvis!!!

Mate has a DS - again fantastic looking and handling but even the roofs rot away!!!

Love the Panhards too - seen one in thsi country ever!!

Love the 504s too - and the coupes

I love French cars but they are so flimsy. Swedish build quality with French quirk is my idea of car utopia!

Saab V4? pretty quirky, and they could often survive a roll over and keep going, a la Blomqvist/Carllson etc.

Try that in a Simca 1000 or a citroen GS

But, all this is very much tongue in cheek.
For too long the classic world has been stuck in a leather and walnut bubble, it is great to see other old vehicles being loved, and now the ones that get noticed at shows or in the supermarket carpark are not the Shiny MGs , but Datsuns and forgotten family cars of the seventies and later.

Still prefer the Volvo to a 504 though,
or a Rover2000, or a Triumph 2000, or a Victor, a....the list goes on
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 13:55   #20
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Totally tongue in cheek !!! it's great to chat about though....

Yes, Saab V4 - especially the estate version are very quirky....and very nice, did toy with the idea

definitely not into English classics, with a few exceptions....

Tatra T603 anyone??? air-cooled rear mounted V8

totally bonkers!!!!