Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel calculator

Views : 1559

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 15:38   #1
fma

I own a 2004 V50. The fuel computer must be inacurate. For example it will say 150 miles to run until empty tank when there is hardly any fuel left (low fuel light on) Even if i travelled at 20mph, I'm sure I wouldn't get 150 miles!
Is this a familiar story to anyone else?
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 00:57   #2
7050man
Master Member

Yes it is. You have to remember that the distance to empty figure will vary depending on how the car is being driven, so you may well get that kind of figure when the low fuel light is on.
One minute it may say 140 miles then if you get stuck in traffic or heavy with the right foot, figure may drop suddenly.
What engine have you got?
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:43   #3
fma

hi. it is the 2.0 litre diesel model
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:28   #4
7050man
Master Member

Me too. Got the E4 spec engine. It will go for miles with supposedly only a little amount of fuel in tank. What I have found is that even when guage is in red, you still cannot fill up the tank with as much fuel as you'd expect to get in.
This must mean that either the gauge reads on the low side (your not as empty as you think) or that there is some kind of air lock perhaps not allowing a full tank to be loaded loaded (unlikely).
My experience is that the guage reads on the low (very low) side as I regularly get between 450 and 500 miles out of a tank and still don't ever put more than about £43 in. Also I think that the fuel parameters in the computer err on the safety side.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 20:01   #5
paul g

Agreed,

At the moment I am showing 46.1 MPG with 90 miles left to go, but the needle is in the red. Quite often in my V40, if I drove steadily at say 60mph, the computer would start off saying I had 180 miles to go and then having completed a journey of 55 miles would then say I had 170 miles to go.

An old engineering friend said that owing to the fact that the car is not measuring 'linear' than it will not accurately reflect the 'real' amount of fuel. I suspect that whatever car you drive with or without consumption figs, one would never be able to put in the 'tank capacity' in terms of fuel
paul g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 20:29   #6
4 forty
VOC Member

Default iregular fuel gauge reading

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=34887

take a look at the above forum, which relates to the fuel gauge being out.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 22:36   #7
7050man
Master Member

Thanks for last post. A another piece in the puzzle perhaps.

Mention has been made of sensing system not being linear. What I suspect is not linear is the tank sender unit potentiometer(pot) as opposed to the gauge itself. Potentiometers are either linear or logarithmic (we've already established that from other posts).

What does this mean as far as we are concerned? Well, when the tank is full, a small movement of the float for a given amount of fuel used will not change the output voltage to the gauge by that much. However when the tank is almost empty, the same float travel will give a vastly different change in output voltage to the gauge because of the logarithmic rate of change of resistance of the potentiometer .

In real terms what we see when the tank is full, is full scale deflection of the gauge. The gauge does not appear to move that much in the first say 100 miles, but below half full reading, 100 miles may take it close on onto the red and move the needle by much more.

Most cars seem to have the pot wired this way round. An exception in my experience is the Renault Clio of a couple of years back. The rate of change of voltage output, seemed to be greater from full to half empty, than from half empty to empty.

Incidently, the temp and fuel gauges will not normally be set to work at full battery voltage due to fluctuations in charge. They normally run at a more stable 7 or 8 volts by use of a voltage regulator. I don't know specifically what voltage Volvos use.

What I don't know is how the driver info system dertermines distance to empty exactly. It must certainly receive instanteaneous data from the tank sender and also current load and fuel burn data from other engine sensors. Perhaps some one can shed a bit more light.

regards
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 22:53   #8
7050man
Master Member

Had a day in France today(booze cruise).
Owing to cheaper fuel, I didn't want to fill up here but I was showing only 50miles before empty, with the needle heading off the red on the wrong side.
I was sure I would be ok ( about 40 miles to Calais through tunnel from where I live), but I decided to put £5 in just to be sure.

First point. With guage reading this low and trip showing only a few miles before empty, £5 of diesel did not make the gauge or trip change. I've noticed this before at another time. Then I thought the pump had not dispensed any fuel.

Anyway due to slight tardiness and with train to catch, I had to blast down the M20, faster than I would normally have driven. At Ashford computer said I had 15 miles before empty and the needle was not even registering anything. At tunnel check in computer said I was emptywith _ _ _ in display. At this point I was abit nervous of stopping engine because I was not sure if engine management system woulld allow car to start if it thought that there was no fuel in it.
Second point: it did, several times with gauge not registering and trip saying I was empty.

Final point, when I did fill up, only managed to get in 43.47 ltrs.

No doubt that Volvo really don't want you to run out of fuel!