Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wanted 940/ diesel tic estate. will have a very good life!!

Views : 3747

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2015, 20:04   #11
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willvg95 View Post
Hi everyone. I am after the above, i have always fancied a big old rwd volvo diesel box to drive up and down the country in every day, now the time has come for me to actively start looking for one. I would really like one as nice as can be but really i just want something thats as original as possible. If there are any 1 previous owner top spec cars with 50k on the clock that would do nicely.... see i have a sense of humour too ! Ha. I have a really bad case of falling in love with cars i own, and dont own for that matter. My job is looking after the collection at an accredited museum, and i promise ill do everything i can do keep it going for ever and ever !

Thankyou kindly, will vg

hope you can help me find this hens tooth!
If you want to drive up and down the country in a big RWD diesel estate and you would prefer to do it in a Volvo then you will get plenty of support from many on this forum. As you can probably tell already, the D24 always stirs up interest as it has many fans on here. There is also a wealth of technical knowledge from those that have run and maintained these engines.

And if ever there was a car that goes on for ever, then it's the 700/900 series. And the diesel versions go even further!

I'm sure we will help you find something lol!! But not with 50k on the clock!! You be very lucky to find anything with less than double that.

The lowest mileage one I know of is my father's 95 940 TD with 75k. No, it's not for sale because he loves it and he even says it will still be going long after he's gone lol!! And if it was for sale, I'd be first in the queue!!
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 20:38   #12
psl
Master Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-VO...item3f5518023d
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 02:37   #13
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
If you want to drive up and down the country in a big RWD diesel estate and you would prefer to do it in a Volvo then you will get plenty of support from many on this forum. As you can probably tell already, the D24 always stirs up interest as it has many fans on here. There is also a wealth of technical knowledge from those that have run and maintained these engines.

And if ever there was a car that goes on for ever, then it's the 700/900 series. And the diesel versions go even further!

I'm sure we will help you find something lol!! But not with 50k on the clock!! You be very lucky to find anything with less than double that.

The lowest mileage one I know of is my father's 95 940 TD with 75k. No, it's not for sale because he loves it and he even says it will still be going long after he's gone lol!! And if it was for sale, I'd be first in the queue!!
Thanks for the reply!. Yeah that is pretty much my thinking. there is just something about them that draws me to um. Yeah i understand the 50k thing. But like you say i have nothing to worry about in terms of high mileage. I drive a skoda fabia vrs at the min and that has just bedded in at 110k miles! Your fathers car certainly sounds like a car that deserves to be in museum somewhere ! Thats amazing!

Im actually mulling over the possibility of buying the aforementioned red estate with nasty wheel trims and a long term loss of coolant problem with the view of possible rebuilding the engine at some point anyway. Only problem being, if the head turns out to be cracked. Where the hell im going to get another head/engine !

Taaa will vg
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 02:44   #14
willvg95

I did notice this car. And the nissan 2.7 diesel is definitely a workhorse engine. Its also very heavy and not particularly powefull with no turbo. I just don't know how well this car would sit at 70mph ! That and the problem that being only 20. The good old insurance companies like to think that im someone who must want to nail a drainpipe under the car, cut the springs and fit tyres that are too small for the wheels that are fitted... sorry im ranting. Someone like that in a corsa cut me up only 15 mins ago... ****heads... what was the question again
Yeah i dont think that car is for me. Although it may be for the other chap who is after one ? how do you tag someone in the message thing ?

Taa will vg
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 14:08   #15
willvg95

Well the search is definitely still on. The one in dorset had been sold just as i rang back to say ill have it.
Bugger..
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 20:04   #16
psl
Master Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-Volvo...gAAOSw14xWImMk
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 15:24   #17
willvg95

Seen this one. Lack of intercooler puts me off on that, really a 760 would be the only 700 series for me !

Thanks a lot
The search goes on !
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 22:31   #18
willvg95

Well. Im really not having much luck with this hunt.

I had found one. She was a beauty, located in swindon, i found the day it came on ebay. It was perfect. Dark green, lowest mileage one i had seen at 109k was going to come with a full mot and the guy i was buying it off didnt quite realise that the diesel ones are extremely rare. Therefore under priced it at 900 quid. He got it as a package of three p/x cars. So im jumping up and down, contacted him on the Thursday, was picking it up today (Saturday)
There was a bit of confusion with the mot status on his part but no problem, he was mot'ing it that day (thursday)
I had even named it. Huldra (nordic female folklore character). So i went to sleep thursday night propperly exited. I had found my baby.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...305480&alt=web

Then it got bad...
i woke up to this...
Screenshot_2015-10-23-07-34-01.jpg

20151022_233532.jpg

Needless to say. I was gutted.
I have never had a car stolen. But i kind of know how it feels now and i dont wish it on anyone.
Some b***ards had stolen it from outside his house at 11pm that night. Then what looks like the corner of someones house jumped infront of them. Being a volvo im suprised the house is still up...

Typically if he had taken it for its mot it would have been at the mot station overnight. But they couldnt fit it in that day.
The search continues. And there is one less 940 diesel estate around. He scrapped it the next day.
Im so bloody gutted.
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 18:42   #19
rwdkev
VOC member

Really sorry to hear that story, especially if you had your heart set on the car. It could have been worse I guess if it had been stolen from you instead after you had paid for it!!

In the meantime, for those of you who are after a manual:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volv...tax/1139996461

Unfortunately, only one photo so no way of telling if it's any good.
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 00:11   #20
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Really sorry to hear that story, especially if you had your heart set on the car. It could have been worse I guess if it had been stolen from you instead after you had paid for it!!

In the meantime, for those of you who are after a manual:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/volv...tax/1139996461

Unfortunately, only one photo so no way of telling if it's any good.
I am indeed after a manual. I have contacted the bloke anout this one. I have a bad feeling its hot or something. He hasnt replied with any other information than what he has posted on the add. He wont give me his number and after 3 more emails asking of any other info he hasnt replied. That coupled with the fact you cant see the number plate to do a reg check doesnt add up to a good story

Tags
940, 960, diesel, estate, wanted