Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For sale: Volvo 2.4d\d5 timing belt additional protection

Views : 40076

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2016, 22:54   #11
RM955I
Premier Member

I look at it this way:

1)I will (and do) keep on top of the maintenance in terms of belts and pulleys - I don't think anyone is suggesting that the guard is a substitute for that.

2)I regularly listen inside the engine bay for any for any obvious squeaks or grumbles as an early warning.

3)It is (reasonably widely) reported that the aux belt, if it lets go, will most likely take out the entire engine

4)£55 is not even a tank of juice these days

5) Can it do any harm? I think that working on the basis that if your aux belt lets go, you're most likely screwed anyhow, what's the worst that can happen?

In an ideal world, Volvo would recognise that the level of protection offered by the standard guard has been shown to be insufficient in the event of the aux belt letting go which does (if people are to be believed) happen even on fully maintained vehicles in accordance with the schedule...and as such they would provide a retro-fit part fully tested and approved.

In fairness to Element888 he is offering to source an item that some people, having weighted up the pros and cons, are prepared to pay for. As I said, the best solution would be a factory part which Volvo could no doubt destruction test, with the resources available to them: only their rationale for not doing so is understandable.

Motorcyclists regularly fit 'crash bungs' to bikes: they may save your bike from extensive fairing and frame damage; they may just bend the frame or snap an integral part of it...you pay your money and you take your choice.

Just my take on it.

Last edited by RM955I; Mar 6th, 2016 at 23:03.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 00:02   #12
Element888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Nobody is slagging you off. In theory it's a great idea, but changing your belts and tensioners when they're due is the best way to ensure that the aux belt doesn't snap and take out the timing belt.. £55 for a small piece of metal and a couple of screws is expensive, but if it was proven that it will definitely prevent the timing belt from getting taken out by a snapped aux belt, it would possibly be a good investment.
I will have to disagree on this. Changing your belts and tensioners will not protect you from this. Yes, I can proove this on my own engine. My belts, tensioners, alternator pulley were about 5k miles old - still alt belt snapped and took timing belt out.
I do agree - changing belts and tensioner will minimise chances of this happening, but will not exclude this. My theory is - either design of alt belt system/tension is wrong on D5 engines or this happens, when some dirt, small rocks get on belt and under tesioner, then belt snaps.
This extra protector will minimise changes of aux belt getting into timing belt area.
Also it will help if people use genuine Volvo belts. According to my Internet research Volvo belts tend to snap in one piece and just fall off. Other aftermarket belts for some reason snap in many pieces and tangle around timing belt. Again - this is not 100% proven.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Mar 15th, 2016 at 14:24. Reason: Pictures Added
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 00:25   #13
Element888

Default Pictures - How Timing Belt Guard Works

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Mar 15th, 2016 at 14:30.
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 01:03   #14
JRL
Master Member

Interested as has already been said £55 isn't even a tank full of go juice. Had my belts and tensioner all changed when I got the car nearly three years ago. Mileage then was 108.000, now 123.000.

All genuine Volvo but what concerns me is the basic design behind this. If one belt braking can take out another belt which then scraps the engine there is something badly wrong. And yes I know it isn't only Volvo but that really isn't the point. It's a Volvo that I drive now.

My own personal experience (not with Volvo) is that buying genuine does not always guarantee quality. So count me in.
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 10:00   #15
Element888

Hi folks.
So far I have received requests from 6 forum members.
Expected delivery is end of March, first week of April.
I will start collecting monies when items are with me.
Payment will be via Paypal with your postage details in notes.
If you are still interested in this item and would like to order one - leave your note on this thread or vai PM to me, but it will be delivered via next batch, which will probably be some time end of April.
The Following User Says Thank You to Element888 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 21:33   #16
RM955I
Premier Member

Yes, still interested. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2016, 23:57   #17
JRL
Master Member

Still interested.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 23:50   #18
Scooser

I'm interested. But I can't tell from your photos how it is supposed fully protect the cam belt. Some annotation would be useful to explain along with the photos how the guard you propose makes it unfeasible for an out of control and severed serpentine belt to interfere with the cam belt.

I think it needs a bit more technical explanation than just playing on any fears.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 07:35   #19
green van man
Premier Member

I am interested and PM sent, thanks.

I see it as cheap insurance, hopefully I never need it, if I do need it I have done all I can to protect my engine wether it works or not.

Yes I change my belts and tensioners early in milage terms but this has been an issue for 4 years of production, can the post 2012 covers be fitted to the earlier engines? As that is currently the only Volvo route.

Someone has learned from bitter experience that even 5k old belts can snap, has organised a solution and offered it to other owners, I say tthank you very much.

Why there is a gap in the Volvo gaurd I do not know but it is that gap that a snapped serpentine or air con belt gets into and wraps around the cam belt, the solution is to make a cover to fill that gap which is what this is. It is disappointing that Volvo have not done something similar but for them to do so would mean them addmiting there could be a problem and given the number of D4/D5 engines out there and the potential for litigation they are staying shtum. A bit like BMW with the 3 series diesels turbos and swirl flaps, just visit a BMW forum for details, when I did the page count on these issues stood at 104 and that was 2 years ago.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2016, 07:46   #20
spudd
Master Member

I recently did all belts, pulleys and tensioners on my xc90 d5.there is a Volvo guard but made of the flimsiest piece of plastic.i always use genuine where I can or gates .I had a gates auxiliary belt let go at about 2.5 k on wifes berlingo.no damage but very inconvenient as I had to let her drive my td5.

Put me down for one please.
spudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.4d engine, aux belt snapped, d5 engine, timing belt cover