Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1997 V70R / Saffron / Manual / 2wd

Views : 1505

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2016, 12:11   #1
Turbodave
VOC Member

Default 1997 V70R / Saffron / Manual / 2wd

1997 (P)
Volvo V70R
Front wheel drive
Manual gearbox
170,000 miles
HPI clear
MOT to 18.11.2016

Upgrades…
4 x Khumo Ecsta tyres (Front 5mm / Rear 7mm)
Ferodo DS2500 front pads
Volvo strut brace
Powerflow Cat back exhaust

Where to start… basically, I’ve wanted one of these since Jesus was a boy and having had an S70R, 850R’s and a T5-R, a Saffron V70R was always the one that hadn’t been ticked off the list. Few weeks back I decided I needed to change my beloved V70 T5 with something more frugal and a bit newer and somehow, I ended up buying this. I had intended on then selling my T5 but I just can’t part with it and truth be told, I’m just not really bonding with this. 55 series tyres and an auto box are more suited to my life… tragic!

So, basically I bought the car a few weeks ago and brought it to Scotland and then set about righting a few wrongs:
Brakes stripped, cleaned and greased
Standard CD player fitted
Boost gauge removed / centre vents reinstated
Rear boot rim panels replaced
Front indicators replaced
Mudflaps replaced
Inner arc liners replaced
All vacuum pipes replaced, including the hard to reach ones… skinned knuckles testify that.
N/S mirror body replaced

Nothing to exactly write home about but every little helps. I drove the car for a couple of weeks, took it up to the Highlands camping and her ladyship commented it was a bit louder and a bit bumpier than the T5 and then pointed out that really, what was the point of buying it… and sadly, I agree with her. I tried, I ticked the box but it’s not going to be a replacement for my old T5.

Now, it’s a presentable big bus and it starts, drives and stops fine and has plenty power… more so now that all the vacuums have been replaced thus it’s idles properly now and holds boost well. It’s also a 19 year old Volvo that’s done 170,000 miles (ish) and so I would say it will, like most of them… need a bit TLC to make it perfect.

Extenally, it has seen paint at some stage… however the finish is very good but there are a few stone chips and marks, there’s a minor dent in the tailgate and the front and rear bumpers have scuffs and a bit paint flaking. Christ knows how nobody can park a V70 without hitting stuff. A blow over of the bumpers would see it looking spot on again. The wheels… there’s five of them, all with matching Ecsta tyres and they are all round and balanced but again, usual wear and tear on the rims and a bit paint flaking on a couple of spokes. If you’re a perfectionist, they need a refurbish. That said, it does polish up and present very well.

Internally, it has the lovely beige / camel arse interior with the alcantara centres and that love it or hate it light plastic wood veneer. Driver’s seat bolsters is thin but not holed and the bolsters are good. Almost everything works including, by some minor miracle, the air con. Electric sunroof, windows, locks and seats are all working. The cruise control however, it doesn’t work as I write this however I shall investigate that one. Rear load area is good, carpets are tidy, it has four genuine R mats. The gear knob is tatty and the gate emblem is missing – trying to locate one.

Mechanically, the engine is good and strong and I’m lead to believe that the PCV system and cam belt were recently replaced but sadly I have no proof of this but they do look fresh and the car doesn’t breath heavily through the dip stick. The coolant is fresh and again, no overheating issues or pressure build up. HT system looks fairly recent, air filter is new and the oil is quite clean so it’s clearly been well looked after. I did replace the vacuums but aside for that, engine wise it wants for nothing. The gearbox is quite tight, clutch bite is good and there’s no grinding but 5th gear has a little whine at high speeds, not intrusive but it is there if you listen. I’m picky.

Brakes are good, the front benefitting from recent discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads. Rear brake discs are showing wear and some corrosion but perfectly serviceable and the handbrake, again by some miracle, is the best I’ve experienced on a V70. Suspension, it’s a bit of an unknown to be fair but having checked, the springs look fresh and there’s no leaking dampers or excess clunks. The top mounts are ok but perhaps starting to show a little lift, something I’d be attending to if I was holding on to it but for now it’s all ok. Steering… it works… it drives well but has the obligatory slight play. I’ve had a look and it’s difficult to ascertain where it originates from as there is no obviously worn single parts therefore I concluded that a general overhaul would be beneficial.

So, that’s it basically… on the whole the car is very presentable and is mechanically sounds but I’ll be the first to point out there are a few niggles that would need attention to take it from good to great, but there’s nothing that isn’t standard issue old Volvo stuff and to be fair, it really depends on how particular you are. I’m quite particular but I’m also sitting with a V70R and a V70 T5, both the same age, same miles and as lovely as that is, it’s just not practical. Sadly, I bought the R with my heart, not my head… I had set out to buy a V50 Sport or an A4 Avant but clearly, I missed!

I’ll take and add more images later, but also happy to forward any specifics via email.

Price wise, I’ll chuck it in at £2750.00

Perhaps more a guideline than a rule so happy to discuss it like gentlemen as long as it's realistic – hopefully I’ve been pretty honest about the car and the reasons behind it being put up for sale… I don’t want to be one of those hen pecked husbands and say “She hates it” but that’s also a factor, she ain’t loving the gay gold estate sadly.

The car is located near Dunfermline in Fife – we have great road, rail and air links (20mins from Edinburgh airport)

Usual rules apply; no test drive without insurance, no test pilots, no IOU’s, no ‘swapz’ but would consider a phase 2 V70 D5 or a V50?

Cheers chaps
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 12:02   #2
Turbodave
VOC Member

Now on good old Gumtree for £2500.00

Cue the "Wots yer best price m8" based texts at 2am!
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 13:14   #3
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Wish I'd the money for it, but like you , it has too many pedals for me lol

Good luck!!

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 16:06   #4
Turbodave
VOC Member

Cheers.

It's a decent enough car, like them all... bit TLC in some areas depending on your standards but I've kinda let my heart rule my heart as I now have two T5 powered V70 estates, both of which could happily swallow up my money and time. Not good given I set out to get rid of the one I had and instead, ended up with two of the bloody things.

That said, have this out today and it is a lovely thing... granted not something I'd drive daily (would get too much abuse / bikes thrown in etc) but it is a bit of an occasion driving it, however I need to accept that it wasn't my greatest decision... fueled by the fact her ladyship isn't a huge fan of driving the V70 and so having set out to get something newer, slightly less tanker-esque... I somehow managed to add a second V70 to the fleet.

As said, looking to sell however I do like the V50 estates so long shot but would consider a part exchange for a Sport in any engine or perhaps a T5 or indeed something similar... maybe a phase 2 V70 D5.

Either way, needs to be an estate as my bike doesn't fit in a saloon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 08:21   #5
Turbodave
VOC Member

Car has now been sold.

Thanks for the interest.

Tags
estate, saffron, v70r