Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 D4 MPG Improvement

Views : 5815

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2019, 09:36   #21
James77

My communte has increased from c23mpg to c26mpg
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:10   #22
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Drove from Glasgow to Southampton last week mostly using Pilot Assist and managed 51MPG according to the computer and in reality was closer to 46MPG measured against a fill up.

The return journey was 56MPG computer and 52 measured. Pretty good considering we were doing between 75 and 80 most of the way.
Wow, you were fortunate. The last time I went up that way from Portsmouth NCP had bought the M6 and were installing parking meters along the central reservation.

Seriously though, if you used the A34, unless you were travelling late at night, there is no way you could do 75+. Too many lorries, and trying to overtake each other.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:51   #23
mr rusty

Quote:
V90 D4 Momentum. But the thing is my average mpg is in the mid-high 30s
blimey - I have to drive like a loony to get that low a figure - I don't think I am a particularly slow driver either - my OH doesn't think so. I have never seen the trip mpg less than about 43 or so except in the first few miles when I reset and then have some stop-start town driving. On average I see it showing 47-49 and its not difficult to see 51-52 on a motorway run.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 10:53   #24
taylora

A34 was fine both ways, weekday afternoon outside 4-7 rush. Rarely went under 70. M6 had some slow traffic northbound around J14 but other than that 75-80 all the way, roadworks and 50 limit around Oxford excluded.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 21:50   #25
vman99
Estateman

Default Engine braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I believe that coasting in Eco mode is likely to actually use more fuel than when on the over-run with gears engaged in other modes. Not much but certainly not more economical.

Logically, when a modern petrol and Diesel engines are on the over-run, compression braking, no fuel whatsoever is injected. However when coasting, the engine must inject fuel to maintain idle speed, otherwise the engine would stop.
Hi Quacker, old thread but new to me.

Your statement above is correct for the BMW M47 2 litre engine and the Honda 2.2 diesel, but not so for the 1969cc Volvo D4.

On the over-run say in 4th gear the engine never runs below 1000 revs and therefore engine braking is reduced often resulting in having to use the brakes when in other diesel cars the engine brake would have been sufficient. If the clutch is disengaged at this point the revs drop to idle about 850 revs.

I asked "Clan" about this and he replied that it was done deliberately to protect the dual mass flywheel from drivers who use too few revs and causing transmission judder.

Personally I would prefer the old system and drive in sympathy with the car.

Cheers, Pete.
vman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 23:41   #26
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw1 View Post
Hi,
I'm four months into a very enjoyable ownership of a V90 D4 Momentum. But the thing is my average mpg is in the mid-high 30s. I appreciate that I live in the countryside (i.e. slow, tractor-ridden windy roads), but I had hoped for a bit better, e.g. low 40s!!
Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong/might do better?
Thanks!
Good to see another Shrewsbury Volvo owner on this thread........and I can totally agree with your comments on Shropshire roads/lanes which are not conducive to achieving good mpg data........unless you are on the M54.
In reality your mpg is not that unrealistic and will get better as the engine & drivetrain loosens up towards the 10,000 mile mark.
Remember you have a pretty large car powered by a 2L engine as well.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 00:10   #27
Boatie
Master Member

Happened to look today and mine's showing 46.8 over the last 2000 miles (V90 D4)
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 02:52   #28
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman99 View Post
Hi Quacker, old thread but new to me.

Your statement above is correct for the BMW M47 2 litre engine and the Honda 2.2 diesel, but not so for the 1969cc Volvo D4.

On the over-run say in 4th gear the engine never runs below 1000 revs and therefore engine braking is reduced often resulting in having to use the brakes when in other diesel cars the engine brake would have been sufficient. If the clutch is disengaged at this point the revs drop to idle about 850 revs.

I asked "Clan" about this and he replied that it was done deliberately to protect the dual mass flywheel from drivers who use too few revs and causing transmission judder.

Personally I would prefer the old system and drive in sympathy with the car.

Cheers, Pete.
Your source is dead wrong as proven by the basic fact that automatic cars do not have dual mass flywheels and fuel is shut off completely on over-run, but continues to be supplied when an engine idles, decoupled from the transmission.

If yours is a manual car, the same applies but it will have a dual mass flywheel which is there specifically to prevent shock damage to the transmission, not the other way about. Judder is caused by the engine being stressed and unbalanced under load at below its working range, which is why so many cars now have an idiot-guide to warn drivers to change down under 1500rpm in any gear while under even a slight load.

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 7th, 2019 at 02:58.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 02:56   #29
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
My communte has increased from c23mpg to c26mpg
...and you’re driving what, exactly...?!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 07:54   #30
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Your source is dead wrong as proven by the basic fact that automatic cars do not have dual mass flywheels and fuel is shut off completely on over-run, but continues to be supplied when an engine idles, decoupled from the transmission.

If yours is a manual car, the same applies but it will have a dual mass flywheel which is there specifically to prevent shock damage to the transmission, not the other way about. Judder is caused by the engine being stressed and unbalanced under load at below its working range, which is why so many cars now have an idiot-guide to warn drivers to change down under 1500rpm in any gear while under even a slight load.
Why do Volvo add the coasting feature to eco mode if it makes it less eco then quacker? Maybe you should contact them and let them know you can improve their cars?