Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Half shaft bearing and seal - how difficult?

Views : 2209

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 18:49   #1
philvatho

Default 940 Half shaft bearing and seal - how difficult?

Was replacing the rear discs and pads on my 940SE (P/97 75,000 mls) today and when I took the near side apart was greeted to the sight of grease everywhere, inside the handbrake drum, on the disk, on the pads and shoes, and on the caliper. Yuk. It is obviously comming from the shaft, so I assume the grease seal has failed. There's no oil so I'm guessing the inner oil seal is OK (erm, or else the diff's empty!).

Question is, can anyone advise if replacing the grease seal (and bearing, as it has to come off I might as well replace it) is beyond the adventurous DIYer? Haynes manual suggests it's a main dealer jobbie, special tools etc. Can anyone offer advice?

Only positive thing is there's buggerall wear on the inner pad - can't think why! :)

Phil

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:46   #2
ivor940
Master Member

Default RE: 940 Half shaft bearing and seal - how difficult?

Hi, I have just changed both rear bearings on my 94 940 ( Live axle )as one was a bit overheated. The Haynes manual is correct in that the removal of the half shafts is easy, you need special tools to change the outer seal or the bearing. ( in work I have access to these tools ). The inner oil seal is a diy job to replace. ( make sure the seal is fitted as per diagram in haynes but this is not the seal which is letting oil out of the bearing onto the brake area. To change the bearing and outer seal, you need access to a Hydraulic press ( and a suitable bearing clamp tool like Snap-on sell ). Most local Engine re-conditioners or Machine shops will have these tools. They should be able to change the bearing for you. The following info appliea if you have access to a Hyd press. The removal of the bearing usually renders it u/s, so buy bearing kit from Nordic or other supplier before starting the job. The Hydraulic press is used to remove the bearing retainer ( looks like large metal ring ) and the bearing. The shaft is cleaned and the new seal is fitted first ( chk it is fitted the correct way as per cross section in Haynes ) The bearing is pressed on next ( ensure it is correct side out ). Finally the bearing retainer is pressed on. All these items were very tight to remove and refit. The newly assembled shaft is quite easy to fit, with the assembly of the handbrake springs the most awkward part of the job. Dont forget to fit the shoe retaining clips under the half shaft retainer bolts. If you do one side at a time, the oil in the diff does not come out as one side is jacked up. Hope this is helpful.

ivor940

Volvo 940 2.0 SE Turbo Estate 5 spd 157k

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivor940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 17:48   #3
purder

Default 940 rear axle oil seal

Hi phil, as you have oil in the brake drum, there will not be any wear on the inner pad as oil will prevent it from working, but at the same time oil will be wiped off the disc. I need to replace my bearing and seal due to end play. Regards Denis
purder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to purder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 20:26   #4
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by purder View Post
Hi phil, as you have oil in the brake drum, there will not be any wear on the inner pad as oil will prevent it from working, but at the same time oil will be wiped off the disc. I need to replace my bearing and seal due to end play. Regards Denis
Holy thread resurrection; this is 6 years old! I imagine he's fixed it by now........
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 09:25   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Another thread resurrection.

I’m about to replace the back plates on the rear brakes of my 1992 940. (220,000 miles.) Live rear axle. This means removing the half shafts. I was fairly confident as to what is involved but Ivor940’s post is very helpful. Thanks Ivor.
I will also be servicing the brakes and changing the diff. oil.

Last edited by Ian21401; Aug 17th, 2019 at 09:29. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: