Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash cover removal

Views : 9295

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:47   #1
Dylan144GT

Question Dash cover removal

Hi everybody

Does anyone know how to remove a dash cover from the dash unit? The plastic part of the dash in other words. Stupidly I cracked it and wish to repair it. Can this be done with out removing the whole dash unit?

Thanks

Dylan
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 14:56   #2
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan144GT View Post
Hi everybody

Does anyone know how to remove a dash cover from the dash unit? The plastic part of the dash in other words. Stupidly I cracked it and wish to repair it. Can this be done with out removing the whole dash unit?

Thanks

Dylan
As far as I recall (when I removed the dashboard from my 144) it came out as one unit. Unfortunately I didn't look too closely at the rear of it so can't really comment. I do know, however, that anything like clocks (instruments) removal has to be attacked from the rear, so even if the plastic cover is removeable I think you're gonna have to get the whole unit out to access the rear. Having done it for the resto on my 144 I never want to do it again.

Regards, C.A.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:20   #3
Dylan144GT

Cool

Hi All

I've neglected this thread for a while, sorry.

Ok, I'm planning a session with the dash. The crack has really got to me now. It must be gone! I am going to DIY it as funds are limmited but just out of interest, are there any firms out there that make a replacement for the '68 - '70 models? I'm looking for the RHD? Anyone?

Dylan
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:45   #4
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default Dash cover removal

Dylan
If you are talking about the plastic insert with silver trim that runs from Passenger side to the instruement panel I am certain you remove passenger grab handle lights and fan switches and possibly couple of other nuts up behind the main panel and it comes out. I have mine to do having messed up when increasing the apeture for the radio. I suggest the best source is from car being scrapped. How have you got on with elecric fan
Nigel
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 08:59   #5
Dylan144GT

Hi Nigel

No, that is the dash plate you speak of and is made of aluminium. I am talking about the dash padding that surrounds the dash plate and instruments and covers the top of the dash. I cracked it trying to mount a 2" tacho and neglected to take the effect of the sun for the last 40 years into account. I could kick myself.

As far as the electric fan goes, I'm affraid I have not fully pursued it as yet. Time has been very short lately and the resources are not as evident here in SA. One needs to dig a little before you find exactly what will work and that is what takes the time. I say this in light of the thermostat switch arrangement. But I will be getting there soon hopefully. I was chatting to a friend over the weekend who has done the conversion to his '72 V8 El Chamino and highly reccomends it! I must just ask him how he connected up and solved the thermostat switch problem and where he sourced his parts.

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Feb 12th, 2009 at 09:01.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 22:05   #6
renpri
renpri

Default dash cover removal

hello,

i also want to dismount the dash cover, because i have to replace the defect speaker and the clock. is there anyone who can explain how to do this, or has a drawing on pdf format
renpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 18:44   #7
john h
VOC Member

Wink

Hi Dylan,

This type of dash, yes?

If so, I think the padding is symetrical, so if you need to look outside SA to get one in good condition, a LHD dash may do the job for you.

I've never removed an old type dash, but if it's any indication, the later type (as in my '73 164) needs the dash out to remove the top padding. (It might in theory be possible to remove with the dash in situ, but it would be so awkward that it would actually be quicker to remove the dash). And the old type looks harder because the padding surrounds the dash.

The good news is that removing the dashboard is not the horrific job that it is on a modern car. Just work methodically and label wiring and you should be fine.

A rev-counter suggestion: in my '69 164 I fitted a Triumph rev-counter into the main dashboard. It was the right diameter to fit neatly between the upper an lower padding in a hole cut next to the speedo binnacle (with the switches moved along a bit).

The font looks Volvo-ish so it looked much more like a "factory" installation than a pod mounted tach would. This one's in a Stag, but they also exist in 4 and 6 cyl versions.

It looked good alongside the strip speedo; pretty sporty. I don't have any photos and I can't do photoshop! The nearest approximation I can find is this OE Rover P6 dash

Anyway, pls let us know how you get on with the dashboard! If you need me to look in the UK give me a shout, but shipping might be prohibitive.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 20:46   #8
Dylan144GT

John

Thanks for the input. The problem with the older dash is that it isn't symetrical for LHD and RHD vehicles. There is a cut out where the steering columb intersects with the dash padding. Which is a serious pity! I don't think I'll be importing at the moment, budgets are a little tight at the moment. As is the case for most I guess. My temporary solution is to remove the dash cover and to fibre glass it straight. then to cover it in a sythetic dark grey suede. I know this is a bit far from original but I really like the look of it, and its quite sporty too! I'll source an original when I have money because I can imagine these don't come cheap! But I suspect this will only be in a while!

I have figured out how to remove it, and unfortunately the dash must be removed. It is simply bolted to the firewall and sides. Then to remove the dash pad; there are metal strips that have been moulded into the support foam and slots cut into the face of the vertical dash strcuture behind the dash plate. The metal strips slide into these slots and are then twisted to keep them there. A really secure solution but a nightmare to try and remove without removing the dash itself.

In order to save a bit of time I'll probably remove the one for my 142, because it needs the same treatment, and do the alteration on there and then swop the dashes when it goes back in! And the do the second one when it comes out of my 144. In this order because the 144 is my daily commuter.

Will definately let you know how it comes along. Just back at varsity at the moment so time is a little hard to come by! But we'll soldier on!

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Mar 4th, 2009 at 20:49.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 21:09   #9
john h
VOC Member

Before removing the dash to try fibre-glass, try a local repair with car-bond (e.g. sikaflex)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIKAFLEX-221-B...1%7C240%3A1318

This is not the same as silicon sealant (which just fills holes), this is a very good adhesive and sets like hard black rubber.

If you can find a way to keep the dash flat and level either side of the crack while this sets, it will hold it and also fill any holes (trim it level with a sharp blade when it's part set).

Do it carefully and the repair will be very inconspicuous.

BTW, what are you studying?

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 21:16   #10
Dylan144GT

John

Thanks for that, I will definately consider it and do some research. We do get the sikaflex range here in SA so I'll go have a look.

I am studying Mechanical Engineering ... is it that much of a surprise?

Dylan

Tags
dash cover removal