Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why do people buy new cars??

Views : 6135

Replies : 89

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 11:27   #1
675rrr

Default Why do people buy new cars??

I can undersatnd if its a company car but I can never understand why anyone buys a brand new car only to lose 50 percent of its value within 3 years???

Surely its financially better to buy a 6 month old car or older for a lot less money and have more options on it???

Now sure some people will come back and say well its guaranteed with constructors warranty, but even if the engine fails costing 8000 pounds its still better than 100 percent losing 15 or 20 K over the 3 years?

Discuss.???
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 11:39   #2
volvo145
Premier Member

Most of the people that I know with new cars just have an agreement.They just lease it or have similar type of thing for a set period and then return them for another one .Some people just buy it at the end of the term.But it is often cheaper to lease than buy now if you work out the figures.
Personally I would rather have my own vehicle paid for regardless of age but it all depends on peoples individual circumstances.
When you run a business now that is a different ball game.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 11:50   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

I've always leased (contract hire) for that reason

If you looked at What car depreciation guide on their website the time to buy would possibly closer to 3 years old when it has lost as you say around 50% or more.

What I found with Volvo (first time for me) this time is the finance on used is 10.9% but less than half that on new, plus with a very large discount (first years depreciation?) and a car Im happy to keep for a very long time (5K worth of options added nothing to the GFV!) was a new car for close to the monthly cost of a second hand one or a contract hire. Better mpg and I get to keep the car after I've paid for all the options on it rather than hand it back.

Last edited by Considered1; Feb 14th, 2014 at 11:55.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:01   #4
andymcp
Premier Member

Put simply, because the near-new cars save me a little on sticker price, but miss options I want and will cost me a few thousand more over the life of my ownership compared to the brand new cost I have signed up for.

Second hand (even ex-demo) just made no sense at all.
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:07   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

I used to get the wife brand new Clio's £149 deposit then £149 a month.
So no capital outlay for a brand new, nice spec, warranted car for the daily cost of a Big Mac Meal.
Didn't pay for servicing as they were two year intervals and we changed after two years.
I did this with 3 Clio's and it suited us perfectly at the time.
When people use reliability as a reason, I don't agree. For the 3,4or £500 pounds a month they shell out, I could guarantee the reliability of my 12 year old S60 many times over.
I sold new and used cars for 6 years and the reasons for other people's decisions are endless. It could be anything from vanity, spite, tradition, love, guilt, impulse, even grief.
It was mostly vanity though
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:15   #6
675rrr

Good debate this.

So 149 pounds a month for 24 months afterwards you have nothing?
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:24   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675rrr View Post
Not nothing. I had a happy wife, which was worth a lot back then
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:35   #8
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675rrr View Post
Good debate this.

True you might have nothing at the end but you would have had less than nothing if you were buying most of the time.
It might have cost you £5976 but how much would you have lost on depreciation?
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:39   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Originally I bought second hand, minimum 3yrs old, as I could not afford new. I have leased a company car for the last 10yrs or so. I do understand why people buy new. It is a lovely treat for one thing, it is also the car exactly as you want it. Perhaps it is more phsycological than rational but we spend a lot of time in cars and the luxury of having one that no one else has been in is a nice one.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 12:54   #10
andymcp
Premier Member

If it is of any interest, my calculations went like this:

What I wanted - V60 D4 VEA (for the low tax and running costs). I get an allowance every month from work for a car, but it comes with certain conditions. So no running out to buy an F-type, for example. But mostly, the car is a tool and apart from lugging loads on the occasional family holiday, it's used to get me from A to B over 20-25,000 miles a year for work. Ultimately, I expect to pay for a car and then hopefully roughly break even on the running costs for a few years.

When I settled on a Volvo, I took a look at near-new ones on the market. I might want the D4, but if an ex-demo D5 could work then why not? The one I settled on using as a comparison was a 63 plate D5 SE Lux Auto, sticker £28k. The total invoice value for my own order is just over £32k. From what I could gather at the time, the D5 should be good for about 40mpg average without too much effort, the D4 for about 50.

So price comparisons:
New D4 SE Lux Auto, all my preferred option packs, plus the accessories I need (towbar, spare, roof bars, guard, mats etc plus servicing pack) - £32k.

Used D5 SE Lux Auto, £28k. Add £1400 for the accessories I want. Nothing I can do about the 3 options I'd have chosen but can't add as they're factory fit. Servicing I don't know what normal prices are but I assumed 5 @ £250? Plus £600 more on road tax. Fuel difference over my mileage works out at £3,200. Total cost now £32,800.

I realise there are deals to be done on sticker price, I realise I could have bought older and reduced the second hand price. But equally I had a £26k starting price for the new car, the only reason it ended at £32 was because I decided that given all the hours I spend driving I wanted the nice-to-haves. With the current discounts and savings on running costs, fuel, servicing etc on offer, it really was a no brainer.

Equally, compared to any finance offer (apart from 0% over 2 years), there was no benefit in leasing....

So maybe I've been duped, but I'm happy with my choice to be a cash buyer of a brand new car spec'd how I want it and counting down the weeks to delivery.
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post: