Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

STEAM FROM V70

Views : 1170

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 20:39   #1
Rck481

Does anyone have any idea why there is steam coming from my V70 Cross Country's exhaust?

It happens soon after start up, and disappears after about 5 minutes driving or so. It sometimes returns after idling for a while.

In 6000 miles, it hasnt got worse and I've not needed to top up the coolant.

I know it's steam and not smoke because if I put my spectacles near the exaust they steam up!

Rgds

Rick

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 00:44   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: STEAM FROM V70

When burnt in an engine 1 gallon of petrol will produce more than 1 gallon of water. It is part of the chemical reaction which releases power from the fuel. This is why exhaust systems (not Stainless Steel) always rot from the inside unless coated with an oily substance from the word go, (who remembers wet sacking over the end of the exhaust and Redex down the carburettor throat. Clouds of smoke so you had to go down a country lane to do it!).

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2002, 18:03   #3
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Would you still recommend that if your car was of a non-cat vintage Peter? Just for info.

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2002, 21:58   #4
sheerwater
Master Member

I remeber the old redex ''how much smoke can you create'' methods!!!
A bit of a con really as the smoke was meant to show you all the nasties in the engine being burnt off. In fact the redex treatment used correctly was to take out the plugs and pour the stuff into the engine to ungum the rings when left overnight. What about the italian decoke. Rev the engine and pour water slowly into the carb. Now that really did shift the coke etc but god knows what else it did to the engine!!!! Back to the original query. Big long exhausts take time to heat up so water condensates inside on start up and soakes into the fibreglass sound deadening. This produces a wonderful environment for rust. Cars which can start a journey which progresses swiftly (some hope these days) have exhausts which last a long time. The school run produces the opposite !!! Note how downpipes are often not included in exhaust kits as they get hot very quickly. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2002, 23:20   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

I wouldn't recommend it although it seemed to us to work OK. Perhaps it was our youthful enthusiasm for crackpot schemes that convinced us that it was the right thing to do. I would though quite happily recommend the use of "shots" with a non-cat car. These consisted of Redex or some other manufacturer's Upper Cylinder Lubricant ( we used to use pink hydraulic fluid in the RAF) administered at the rate of one shot per gallon of petrol at the filling station.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote