Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Service Due message - time based

Views : 3280

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 20:36   #11
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Service Indicator

Roy,

No, I don't think that was the root cause - although our experience has been that the engine has loosened up a great deal from around 12k. MPG has improved for example.

Our car was delivered to the dealer in November 2005. We bought it from stock in March 2006 although it wasn't pre-registered.

The service due indicator first came on in November 2006 (12mths after delivery to the dealer).

But, as I said in my earlier posting, the next warning message appeared spot on 18,000 miles later at 34k.

Well, that's what we've decided to believe anyway!

Best wishes, Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 21:27   #12
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Roy,

No, I don't think that was the root cause - although our experience has been that the engine has loosened up a great deal from around 12k. MPG has improved for example.

Our car was delivered to the dealer in November 2005. We bought it from stock in March 2006 although it wasn't pre-registered.

The service due indicator first came on in November 2006 (12mths after delivery to the dealer).

But, as I said in my earlier posting, the next warning message appeared spot on 18,000 miles later at 34k.

Well, that's what we've decided to believe anyway!

Best wishes, Arianne.
Slightly confused Arianne...The service indicator would come on at 12 months regardless of mileage if it was below 18,000 miles as it's time or oil quality related. In your first post you said it came on after 6 months at 12,500 miles though.

Am I misunderstanding something?

All the best.
Roy
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 22:55   #13
Arianne
Premier Member

Roy,

I think this is the sequence of events:

1. Car delivered to dealer in Nov '05 and clock starts ticking on the 12mth service reminder thingy;

2. We buy the car in March '06

3. In November '06 the service reminder message appears even though we've only covered 15,000 miles and have owned the car for just 7mths;

4. Presumption is that the service reminder had calculated that the car had been in existence for 12mths irrespective of our ownership duration;

5. Get it serviced at 15,800 miles in Nov '06

6. Next service warning appears at 33,800 miles in August '07;

7. we part with £351 to keep friendly Volvo dealer happy

Regards, Arianne
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 00:39   #14
Tezsan
Tez007

Default my2007 D5

I have the MY2007 D5 AWD and it has just been serviced at 12500miles,it says in the book every 12500miles.And it only cost me 381 euros
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:30   #15
Arianne
Premier Member

The 2.4 TD Euro III emission engine is serviced every 12,500 miles.

The 2.4 D5 Euro IV emission engine is serviced every 18,000 miles (that's ours).

In the UK, you can only by the XC90 as a Euro IV engine variant from about late 2005 onwards.

Perhaps in your country they still supply the older engine?

A good service price although I'd expect the 18,000 interval to be a little more expensive due to the higher rated oil and need for profit margin?

But then the UK is also expensive for all things auto related.

Regards, Arianne.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:33   #16
Arianne
Premier Member

Tezsan,

Why are German autobahn service stations so much better than those in the UK & cheaper for better quality food?

And the toilets - well for 50cents you make the UK look positively medieval.

Thanks for letting half of Europe trundle through your country as they try to reach their preferred holiday destination.

Arianne.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:52   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
The 2.4 TD Euro III emission engine is serviced every 12,500 miles.

The 2.4 D5 Euro IV emission engine is serviced every 18,000 miles (that's ours).

In the UK, you can only by the XC90 as a Euro IV engine variant from about late 2005 onwards.

Perhaps in your country they still supply the older engine?

A good service price although I'd expect the 18,000 interval to be a little more expensive due to the higher rated oil and need for profit margin?

But then the UK is also expensive for all things auto related.

Regards, Arianne.
I don't think it can be that Arianne because as far as I know it's mandatory in Europe for Volvo and all other car manufacturers to supply Euro IV engined cars. Only thing I can think is that it could be an old model the dealers had for a while but only just registered, or it's the wrong handbook. Slightly puzzled I must confess.

Or it's like VW who have two service settings, one is the standard 12,000 mile service and the other is the longlife 18,0000 mile service. Most come with the longlive service from the factory, but if you do a lot of town driving they reccomend having it reset it to the standard service timing interval at the first service. You can order a new VW set to the standard service interval it you are going to do mainly town driving.

Or they don't have the longlife oil in Belgium.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 22:59   #18
Arianne
Premier Member

A mystery then? Comiserations to our friend in Belgium.

Arianne
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:04   #19
DallasNichol

Hi All, I am new to this forum stuff so please excuse if I am interupting. I have a Volvo XC90 that I bought new in 2006. It is now due for its 12 month service. I intend to get this one done by my dealer. However the price difference between them and my trusted mechanic (over 20 years) is enormous. For future servicing I shall use my trusted mechanic. Does anyone know how one can reset the "Service Light"?
DallasNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 23:44   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perussell View Post
........which will explain why Volvo have been able to push the interval out to 18,000 miles. The key though is that you absolutely must use the right specification oil! Anything cheaper or sub-spec even if from one of the major brands will not hold the dirt etc. in suspension between drains and lead to engine fouling etc.
Hope your enjoying your new motor perussell. I just found out the new D5 engine is even more different than I thought.....from Automotive Engineer PLUS

Volvo's five cylinder diesel engine, which was first introduced in 2001, has been extensively improved and refined. This has resulted in an entirely new driving experience with considerably higher performance, and improved drivability. At the same time, there has been a sharp reduction in emissions.

The new engine is actually three different ones, all of which are turbocharged. The most powerful version, the D5, has been given an extra 22 hp and has a maximum output of 188 ps (137 kW). The increase provides excellent high-speed performance, with fast acceleration and efficient pulling power, even when driving up long, steep hills, with no need to change down.

Torque has also increased dramatically, from 340 to 400 Nm (250 and 295 lb ft). This provides extra power and considerably quicker response at both high and low rpm.

"We have improved nearly everything in the engine," says Jörgen Svensson, chief programme engineer. "The driver will perceive it as a lively petrol engine, only more powerful and more environmentally efficient."

Most of the increase in performance can be attributed to an upgraded air and exhaust gas exchange system, a new turbocharger, and an improved injection system. Most of the air and exhaust channels have been given increased volume and more gentle bends for more efficient gas-flow with low losses.

The new generation turbocharger has electronic control, resulting in fast and precise control of the charge pressure. A larger compressor wheel provides higher torque and output. Furthermore, the variable vanes have been cambered for a more efficient flow of gas at all settings, resulting in an increased level of turbo efficiency. The improvements contribute to both faster acceleration and better high-speed performance.

The turbo centre housing is now water-cooled, which is unusual in diesel engines. This is caused by the higher performance of the new engine and provides continued cooling of the turbo after the engine has been switched off. This is particularly beneficial during short stops after high-speed driving, such as when refuelling on the highway.

As was the case on the previous diesel powertrain, air swirls in the cylinders' combustion chambers. The use of a new electronically controlled multi-throttle system in the inlet ports allows for infinitely variable regulation of the swirl level, and combustion can be adjusted extremely accurately according to the driving situation and the current engine speed and load.

"We have also made the combustion chambers larger, thereby lowering compression," notes Svensson. "By doing so, we have gained two things: higher performance and lower emissions."

The injection system has been fitted with new injectors with seven finer nozzle openings as opposed to five in the previous engine. This results in a more finely atomized fuel mixture, and more efficient combustion. Injection takes place in three steps: pre-injection, primary injection, and post-injection. The last step is new and contributes not only to cleaner combustion but also to regeneration of the particulate filter.

A completely new, electronically regulated quick glow system results in considerably reduced glow times, also making it easier to start the engine in cold weather.

The new diesel engine has very low emissions, thanks to a number of new and refined functions. For example, emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) have been halved. A new-generation engine management system, with increased capacity and a greater number of sensors offers more accurate control of the engine’s functions. This includes electronic control of the throttle and the new, more powerful Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve for more precise regulation of the air supply and recirculation of exhaust gases.

"We also have a completely new EGR cooler," says Svensson. "This lowers the combustion temperature very efficiently, thereby reducing emissions."

The catalytic converter is now fitted close to the engine, not just on manual but also on automatic versions, to promote faster warming and thus faster start-up of the exhaust cleaning process. The catalytic converter is also larger than before. In addition it has been supplemented with an oxygen sensor that precisely regulates the fuel mixture and emissions.

All versions of the new diesel engine have a particulate filter as standard equipment. It very effectively removes soot particulates from the exhaust gases, with filtration efficiency above 95 per cent. The filter is a Coated Diesel Particulate Filter (CDPF), in which a special coating helps burn the particulates. Therefore, no additives are needed, and the filter requires no maintenance. Burning away soot particulates takes approximately 20 minutes and occurs automatically at 500 to 1000 km intervals, depending on driving conditions.

The new diesel engine is available in three versions, all with the same cylinder volume and common technology:

Engine Output ps/kW Torque Drive
D5 188/137 (previously 163/120) 400 Nm (previously 340) AWD/FWD
2.4D 165/121 (previously 130/96) 340 Nm (previously 280) FWD
D 127/94 (previously 116/85) 300 Nm (previously 280) FWD

In addition to the technical changes, the diesel engines' service interval has been extended from 20,000 till 30,000 km.