Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'95 854 T5 suspension

Views : 798

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 15:39   #1
RGM200

Hi, can anyone please help?

The rear suspension of my car, both sides, creakes as I get in and out of the car and if I push down on either of the rear wings. It sounds like creaking springs, very metallicy (for want of a better word) but the springs and struts look ok, well to look at, no leaks, although they are the original suspension for the car as far as I am aware.

I will be looking at changing the whole suspension in the not so near future and have already started saving (any advice on shocks and springs appreciated) but need a quick fix if possible.

Do the springs wear out? Is it something completely different like bushes?

Any help as always greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 18:58   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: '95 854 T5 suspension

The shock mounts are a common item that fails. Lift the carpet up in the boot and see if this is the case.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 23:22   #3
bobcat
Premier Member

you may also want to spray some wd40 etc on all the bushes and contact spots.

if you do find your rear mount has failed then you can get them from

www.partsforvolvosonline.com

for £12 each.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:35   #4
RGM200

Hi,

I lifted the carpet and checked the rear mounts, these both seem fine

I sprayed the rear bushes liberally with WD but this has still made no difference, I am still none the wiser

Any other ideas anyone or am I going to have to bite the bullet and take it into a garage?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 14:32   #5
bobcat
Premier Member

i wouldnt take it into the garage just for a few squeaks.

get someone else to bounce the car and then get under there and have a good listen.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 12:42   #6
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: '95 854 T5 suspension

Is this problem something that has just started and does it effect the handling? Suspensions do creak on cars from all the various joints/mounts, from the springs and the cups they sit in. However if its very loud then there is something wrong. The only solution is to inspect all the suspension.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 23:10   #7
bobcat
Premier Member

update:

having just changed all my springs and shocks, i found that my rear shocks actually make a squeaking/creaking noise when they are moved in and out so this maybe the cause of your noise.

not sure if you have ever seen those toys that are a tube with a plunger type thingy inside, you turn them upside down so the plunger falls to the bottom and these make a funny noise. the shocks make a similar noise to that.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:08   #8
RGM200

The creaking is really quite loud, but it is only when someone, normally myself, is getting in and out of the car, its that noticable that people hearing the noise whilst walking past will give a look, its quite embarrassing really.

It doesn't seem to effect the handling of the car, even though the handling on the standard suspension set up is a bit pants.

But the noise is noticeable over speed bumps and as I have said when someone is getting in or out of the car.

A friend of a friend has got a garage so may try and get the car up to him and see if he can get my car up high in the air so I can have a proper look.

Thanks for all the advice, it is very much appreciated.