Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'99 V40 2.0T with (almost) all the goodies

Views : 1324

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:49   #1
Mav_UK

Default '99 V40 2.0T with (almost) all the goodies

Hey Guys,

Quick Question.

How well do the 2.0T's actually drive. The guy from Volvo was trying to fob me off with 'The're as quick accelerating and much more pleasent to drive as the T4 has too much power'. I didn't believe him, but what are the figures (0-60, top end and avg mpg).

Also it has:

70K km
Half Leather
ECC
Cruise Control
'Leccy windows all round, + mirrors
SIPS Bags
WHIPS seats
Double Airbags
He will change the steel wheels for Volvo 15" alloys

And they want 17000EUR.

I've gotta do some searching too see what the price is like (I think it's high for the UK but probably average for Holland. What should I be looking for? I wasn't going to get a new car just jet (was going to wait until I am on a permanent contract..) but it doesn't look too bad and has got me interested. One really nasty thing though. It's white.

Thanks in advance

Stu
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:02   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: '99 V70 2.0T with (almost) all the goodies

Hi Stu.

Do you mean a V40 or a V70? I have never heard of a V70 2.0T.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:03   #3
Mav_UK

Default RE: '99 V40 2.0T with (almost) all the goodies

V40 (my appologies!)

Stu
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:25   #4
Mike Clift

Stu

It is pretty rapid.

I had a loaner for two days. It was fine.

Only problem was it had no traction control and I found it very very very easy to break away and spin the front wheels - evev on the move dropping from fourth to third!!!!

Apart from that no problems. If I didn't have a T4 I'd be happy with the T.

Mike
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:23   #5
Mav_UK

Jut one other Q to add to the list:

Does anyone know the diff between a Volvo Selected Car and one they just sell. I don't know which this as they have only had the car a few days and not done anything to ti yet.

Stu
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:21   #6
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

mav

first off i've had the 2.0T for approx 8 months and i'm over the moon with it.

a little harsher ride than the missus 2.0 non turbo but not to hard.

as for the performance, it fast enough !!!

and as mike said, the front wheels spin spin and spin if your a little heavy footed off the line, but self control is the key here (as i had pointed out to myself).

as for the "select" program go to www.volvocars.co.uk form there click on "our products" and then the "select program", that should give you the info you are looking for.

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 14:09   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Stu.

As always, whether the price is good or not boils down to whether you are comfortable paying the asking price and receiving that car.

My 2.0T was very rapid. It is also easily and cheaply (don't read that as no technical knowledge needed however) tuned to about 180-190BHP with a simple device.
The 2.0T is sometimes looked upon as the poor relation to the T4, however it isn't. It is almost always the x40 that any press review recommends that you purchase, as having plenty of power but balancing that with supreme drivability and a flexible engine.
It accelerates very quickly, and if you are used to a non turbo-charged car then you will notice this straight away, but unlike the T4 it is deceptive in how it delivers this acceleration.
You can be doing 90mph in no time at all with the 2.0T, the T4 is much the same, EXCEPT that in the T4 the sensation is such that you may have scared yourself into letting off the throttle a bit before you get that fast. ;-)
If you are not into having to actually concentrate quite hard on keeping the car on the straight and narrow when you really want to have fun, then go for the 2.0T. If you like that little bit of fear everytime you floor it then a T4 is worth a look.
The 2.0T invokes the same sort of smile as the T4 but without the laundry bill! ;-)

Another benefit of the 2.0T is that it is designed to run on 95ron UL fuel. So in real world terms it is cheaper to have fun in the 2.0T
If you ever want more poke from it, then a simple bleed will do the trick, but as soon as you start modding you need to use 98ron fuel all the time. The T4 will run on normal UL too, but it is designed for 98ron or greater if you want it to perform to its full potential.

The only reason I changed to a T4 is that I wanted a higher base performance level upon which to base any mods I do.
Other than that I would still be in my 2.0T even now, it was a lovely car and drove like a dream.

Test drive it, you'll like it!!

Cheers,
Dan.
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 15:11   #8
Mav_UK

I think that I may have to bite the bullet and test this car. It has to do for both me and my other half - so less underwear moments would be good. I guess that I just have to live with the Spit for those. I have mechanical knowledge, but I'm guessing that modding to 180+ involves chipping, and whilst I can build a PC, cars are somewhat different.

The only down side is that it's white, but then I've checked the Dutch autotrader and it's 3K (euros) less than a comparable silver one of the same age / specs. If I can just get the 6K for my 440 now, and convince myself that the bank won't laugh at me when I apply for the loan. I'll let you know how it goes (but either way it looks like the T4 is going to be a 2.0T anyway whenever I change)

Stu
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 16:37   #9
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.

Being white is only a problem if you don't like the colour. ;-)

The 180+BHP doesn't involve chipping; it is a small device that you can get for a reasonable amount and it is installed in 5 mins.
I have the same one that I used on my 2T, on my T4. It is a fixed rate calibrated bleed that raises the boost curve and the ECU sortsd the rest out. I got it from a friendly Volvo service manager as it happens.
It alters nothing on the factory ECU, just changes the hardware parameters if you like. If you are feeling more brave you can tweak the wastegate as well, but that is a different thread.
I have a K&N panel filter too.

You will really enjoy the 2T if you get it. I went 130 in my old one (stock) no bother whatsoever, well fast enough for anyone.

Later,
Dan.
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 18:05   #10
Mike Clift

Dan

How would you say the bleed thing changes performance from stock settings on the T4. Top speed is not an issue but a bit quicker take up from about 50mph in top would be good especially if there was no need to kick down ( auto box ).

Mike