Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SE vs R-design

Views : 3563

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 18:54   #21
The Painter

Not the greatest picture of mine but may be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (131.4 KB, 43 views)
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 18:59   #22
Luke.S70R

driven both and I must say the R-design is a nicer plate to be. it's a comfortable to drive as the SE buit has a better all round look and feel inside and out. looks like second hand values are up on that of the SE too.
Luke.S70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 19:23   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Monkey View Post
Thanks for all of the advice guys - sounds like the SE with the smaller whells for me. Which of the alloy options are most recessed from the tyre edge (i.e. scuff proof) - 18" camulus, 18" situla or 17" neptune. Also, any suggestions for SatNavs which can be permanently mounted (including power) other than the list option (which I think is very overpriced).
I don't know if it applies to all tyres but my Vredstien Wintrac 4 Extreme's have rim protection detailing. You'd have to be seriously determine to mark the rims with them fitted.

Don't forget a set of 17" tyres is considerably cheaper than the same set in the 18" size.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 08:45   #24
XC60Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
Not the greatest picture of mine but may be helpful.
Those certainly look very kerbable! - will be going for the 17" I think. Anyone have any experience with the Volvo Garmin satnav - I'm tempted to choose this over the factory fitted option?
XC60Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 10:24   #25
artwilliam

Also not that easy to see but there's plenty of tyre to protect the wheel from kerbing (R-Design)

artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 12:52   #26
Karoshio

Anyone has pictures of the stock 20' rims?
Karoshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 18:43   #27
volvocamper
Master Member

XC60Monkey - yes I hv the Volvo Garmin (765) sat nav/bracket and like it. However if I was buying now not sure I wd go for it but may go for a more up to date garmin unit with the Garmin demountable ball holder which you could fit yourself to the 'false' speaker grille and hv (I understand) TV on latest Garmin units but as mount is easily demountable could still be removed from view. The volvo unit is nice in so much as the bracket is 'fed' from beneath so no trailing wires and is of reasonable quality although I took it off and mounted an additional strengthening plate on the underside of the speaker grille to offer a bit more rigidity (also the Volvo tech had not fitted it correctly I discovered and had removed too much of the plastic framework beneath so good job I sorted it anyway). One point though, it does reflect slightly in the screen at night which is why the factory fit nav screen is at such a strange angle (to prevent this reflection) however I couldnt hv lived with the angle hence I didnt go with the factory unit (you could of course tilt the Garmin unit to get rid of the reflection if you wished). This unit was about £450 when I bought it in Dec 09, not sure how much it is now? it is something you could fit yourself if you were so inclined and think i hv seen instructions on a listing on here of fitting instructions for Volvo accessories. The 765 nav unit is good enough, comes up with Volvo logo on start up and has all dealerships pre-programmed apart from that is standard 765 unit. Remember if you hv it fitted at time of delivery this accessory is covered by the 3 yr Volvo warranty which may be useful in due course.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 18:55   #28
Wally911

I have got the 18" and tyre is high enough to prevent wheel damage...up till now and still comfy over uneven roads.
The garmin sat nav is expensive, good although a bit of a small screen. There are better aftermarket systems for that price.

Wally911
Wally911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 19:39   #29
t5hull

you should get a good price for your xc60 as prices are very kind to sellers at the moment, my local dealer does'nt have any used in stock so im sure they would slightly over pay to get hold as customers are waiting for used stock, anyway ill stop babbling i think the volvo fitted garmin is way overpriced from the dealer ive used garmin before and was well annoyed at it so went back to tomtom much easier to use and more interactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Monkey View Post
Those certainly look very kerbable! - will be going for the 17" I think. Anyone have any experience with the Volvo Garmin satnav - I'm tempted to choose this over the factory fitted option?

Amazing............
t5hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 20:11   #30
volvocamper
Master Member

Yep, dont disagree is over priced and I too had Tomtom in previous car and agree possibly more user friendly, what sold it to me however was the neat docking solution for the Garmin offering full functionality, v.little vibration and easy to use without using a windscreen mount of some kind or clamp on bracket which seemed only fixing solutions for Tomtom when I was in market......unless anyone knows different now?
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote