Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Valve seat recession - questions

Views : 5066

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 21:35   #21
pistrix

Default Prins Valvecare

Hi Everyone,

I apologize but I just have to ask for an opinion again:

I have a 95 850 2.5 20V and I've decided to install Prins LPG system. The car has 270,000 kilometers and I plan to have it for at least 100,000 km more. Is it worth spending 300€ for the Valvecare system? The installer strongly recommends it but when I asked him if it is really necessary, he wasn't very convincing. His only argument was that it is better to have it, just in case...

Thank you.
pistrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 11:26   #22
volvobaggen

From what I understand after reading a lot on this topic, this is a "true" volvo engine with hardened valve seats that runs fine without any valvecare/flashlube.
volvobaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 12:51   #23
capt jack
VOC Member

Well my 1997 V70 2.5 10v has 263,000 miles, which is 423,000 km. It has been running on LPG since 53,000 miles, which is 85,000 km, so that is 338,000 km running on gas.

It has no valve lube system, and I guess that if one had been needed I'd have found out by now!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 19:12   #24
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

and at 300 euros you are getting ripped off. Should only be around 50-100 max for a non turbo engine.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 14:59   #25
pistrix

Thank you guys for your answers. I appreciate your help.

300€ because it is supposedly an advanced system with a high pressure pump (I don't know the details)... I don't care anymore.

fyi: http://www.prinsautogas.com/en/produ...valvecare.html
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:50   #26
pistrix

Default just converted

Hi guys,

as of last week, I drive on LPG (Prins without valve lube system). photo

At first, the engine ran quite rough on idle and the transition from the idle was also very jerky, especially when the engine was cold. However, thanks to this forum, I was prepared to take action: I installed fresh NGK BKR6ES sparks (will try Denso next time as suggested by capt jack on this forum), changed the ignition cables (previous were from 1995 and with a couple of cracks on suppressor connectors), I thoroughly cleaned the distributor cap and rotor (It is quite worn with a tiny crack on the rotor so I will install a new one today), I cleaned the idle air control valve, the throttle body and the flame trap tube (there was no flame trap). I've also visually checked the MAF sensor and it looked intact.

Now the engine runs almost perfectly on LPG and I almost can't tell the difference when driving on LPG or petrol. Although the transition from the idle improved significantly and is now better than it was on petrol before the conversion, the idle is still a little rough when the engine is warm and very rough during the first few minutes when the engine is cool. On petrol, the idle is also not as perfect as I suppose it should be (the RPM needle occasionally jumps down and up for about the width of the gauge needle) and it seems that LPG simply amplifies the issue, especially when the engine is cool.

Do you have any idea what else I should check/do/fix? As I said, I will change the distributor cap and rotor today but I have a feeling this is not the reason.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:32   #27
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Sounds like you have covered most of the possibles already.

The new cap and rotor may well make a differnce.

I would also run some injector cleaner through the petrol system.

After that and you are happy with how it runs on petrol go back to the installer and ask him to check the mapping.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 16:16   #28
capt jack
VOC Member

One more thing to try - have a look at the idle air control valve, give it a good clean and make sure that it works OK.

If it's sticking that will certainly mess up the idle.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 00:28   #29
volvobaggen

About spark plugs, I previously had Denso K20PR-U(came with the car when I purchased it 2 years ago), and changed to NGK BKR6ES because it was on the classicswede recommandation list.

Im probably just fooling myself, but I have a feeling the engine ran slightly better with the denso´s.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 05:21   #30
volvobaggen

Capt Jack, what spark plug gap did you use with your B5252S engine?

I didnt bother controlling the spark plug gap on the NGK´s, and thinking back, they might have been a little on the wide side from the box. Maybe it can explain why my engine is a bit jerky under load on low rpm.