Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it a myth or do CNG V70 Volvo really exist?!

Views : 6657

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 08:44   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Is it a myth or do CNG V70 Volvo really exist?!

I'm new to this forum and have been trying to buy a CNG 60, 70 or 80. Preferably a V70 estate. I've a home fill set-up used now for my Land rover and reckon on getting a CNG Volvo.

But... can I find one? Not ever. I know these are rarer than rocking-horse poo, but does anyone know how many came into the country?

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENC...NG-Biofuel.htm

I can get the LPG model easily enough, but it's CNG I want. Can you hear my frustration? I've been trying to get one one for nearly six months.

Please, anyone know. Anyone wnat to sell me theirs?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 31st, 2012 at 08:47.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 12:23   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

They do exist, but they're very rare. There are two factory Bi-Fuel S60s on eBay at the moment. If memory serves correctly, they were all 2.4 140bhp models.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 13:14   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes I've been watching Ebay, and Autotrader, as for the Bifuel, I don't think they're too rare, far from it, there's more available than anyone would need, until you say you want Bifuel CNG.
Aside for Googling once a week, and checking Autotrader, and Ebay, I'm not sure where else to look. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 15:30   #4
reggit
Premier Member

The CNG ones are rare - I saw one once on autotrader, can't remember if it was a S60 or V70 through.

It's out of date now, but here was one that was once for sale

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/4sale/...vo-cng-v70.htm

Last edited by reggit; Aug 31st, 2012 at 15:33.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 17:50   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

The problem with CNG was, unless you had the facility at home, that there were precious few filling stations that sold the stuff!

So that I guess meant that very few cars were ever sold new, hence now they are as rare as hens teeth.

Why not look at getting a standard car converted?

http://www.cngvehicles.co.uk/volvo-c...n-details.html

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 18:08   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

How many CNG fill up points are there in the UK as I can't see I have ever noticed one?

What is the attraction of CNG vs LPG

Only asking out of interest - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 21:45   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
How many CNG fill up points are there in the UK as I can't see I have ever noticed one?

What is the attraction of CNG vs LPG

Only asking out of interest - Mike
I think it might be as many as a dozen..........

As for advantages of CNG over LPG my guess is that there aren't any - presumably that's why LPG is a fairly common alternative fuel, and CNG isn't.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:36   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

You ask, how many CNG filling stations? Some suggested 12, no I don't think it is not as much as that.

LPG is very expensive, I run a 1960s Land rover on CNG and converted it myself. A simple conversion on a simple engine. Any half-capable buffoon could do it, I did. But a modern engine?? I think not. It works. LPG would be far more expensive. As i said, I have Home-fill.

Why not convert a Volvo to CNG? Firstly, I spent my money on a Homefill. A conversion does make sense, but not when you can buy it aleady done for not much more than a petrol model. To concvvert would cost a £1400+ so the numbers don't add, unless you are forced to it. Also, I don't want to try and better the R&D of V with a home or back-street conversion when I can buy a CNG modle, done properly with proper tanks located so as not to affect load space and proper everything else. Why re-invent the wheel etc.

But I've heard mixed opinions on the factory LPG, so maybe the same afflicts the CNG, which I suspect it does, when I get one... so for all my blarny, my logic for getting a CNG V may be very up the swanny!

You all seem to be converting your Vs rahter thatn buying factory fit LPG. There has to be a logic to it, or maybe you're all doing it, well... for the same reason I play with my Land rover, hang the logic, do it because you can. And there is nothing wrong in that. Question: Why do you do it that way, is the Volvo factory fit suspect?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Sep 2nd, 2012 at 09:49.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:25   #9
Bernard333
Premier Member

I got a V70 D5 in 2003 , I initially tried to order a CNG V70 in 2002 availing of the powershift grant which was so difficult to get that eventually I gave up which with hindsight was the right decision for me as mains gas is not available in most parts of Ireland and I dont even know of one filling station with CNG although there are a few places where LPG cars can fill up. The incompetance of the government in severely rationing the powershift grants a decade ago is part of the reason there are so few CNG/LPG cars around now , they promised so much at the time and then failed to deliver as usual .

How long does your home station take to fill an empty tank , in 2002 I was told it took 7 to 8 hours for each fill which is possibly another reason there are not many cars running on it but I know some local councils have equipment that works much quicker .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 23:27   #10
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I heard about the so called tax advantages at the time for CNG. So if I have this right, buying the car (then) was not the issue, but getting the tax break was?

filling mine seems to take about 8 hours, but that seems to depnd on its mood. I think 9-10 hours is all i bother with, but 20 odd from empty, but it's done over night, so no matter. I just have to be sure to hook it up, which I'll admit is a pain, but it works for me. Don't forget this is no Volvo, Its an old Land Rover so 15-18 mpg.
I have far larger tanks than most, 2 x 50 L + 1 x 40L (if I rember right) and I need them to get any real range.

There are others in this parish that have the CNG model, but they don't seem to post much about their cars.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for a CNG V, preferably a V70 estate?

Local councils ahve bulk storage, so I can't see why it would take too much longer than LPG to fill

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Sep 2nd, 2012 at 23:32.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: