Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Amazon Model Kit!

Views : 8946

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 11:57   #1
222s
Amazoniste

Default Volvo Amazon Model Kit!

Made by Air Trax in Finland. 1:25 scale, made of resin, with a sheet of photo-etch parts. Body is moulded as a 2 door, but includes separate side window frames (so easy to convert to four door), photo-etched front & rear quarterlight frames for both 2 & 4 door, & additional doorhandles for conversion to four door (2 door panel lines would need to be filled and the 4 door ones scribed) and includes badging & grilles for early or late versions. Suspension, tyres, engine ancillaries and glass not included in the kit, so the builder will need to make the screens from acetate or similar.

Please note that this kit is intended for an experienced modeller, not for a beginner, as it will require some parts to be scratchbuilt. As a low volume resin kit, the parts will need cleaning up, flash trimming off etc prior to assembly.

A complete 1:24 MGB kit as a donor for suspension & wheel / tyres can be included if required - that would provide complete front suspension, rear axle, brakes, hubs, tyres etc (& wire wheels, although the kit does include the steel wheel fronts & hubcaps) as well as various other small parts such as rear view mirror, alternative set of headlights etc. Other kits may also be good sources for donor parts, however I've found that the MGB one is highly suitable for the P1800 that I'm building at the moment.

Originally cost me about £80 plus the p&p from Finland. For sale only as I have since bought the estate version of the kit (which wasn't released until quite a while after I bought the saloon one), so unlikely to get around to also building the saloon now.

£65 for just the Volvo kit, or £75 with an MGB donor kit included, plus p&p. Hoping to be at the National BKV (but not 100% certain yet), so could also bring it along for collection then.

Pics below, and also this is what a completed Amazon kit looks like, and also some pics of a built Airtrax P1800 here & here to show what a skilled modeller can achieve (these completed models are not mine).

If you have any questions, please ask
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 1.JPG (85.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 2.JPG (84.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 3.JPG (81.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 4.JPG (168.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 5.JPG (86.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 6.JPG (62.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 7.JPG (70.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Air Trax Amazon 8.JPG (68.2 KB, 48 views)

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Jun 7th, 2013 at 12:01.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 12:00   #2
222s
Amazoniste

Here's some info on the MGB donor kit. First pics show the suspension & axles on an MGB kit that I built a while back, and the rest show the same parts in situ on the P1800 kit that I'm currently building. The track doesn't need modifying, and the wire wheels shown are part of the MGB kit. The donor MGB that could be included with the Amazon kit is complete & unstarted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MGB Donor 1.JPG (110.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg MGB Donor 2.JPG (98.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MGB Donor in P1800 1.JPG (105.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg MGB Donor in P1800 2.JPG (87.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg MGB Donor in P1800 3.JPG (81.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MGB Donor in P1800 4.JPG (106.7 KB, 64 views)

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Jun 7th, 2013 at 13:31. Reason: typo & clarification
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 20:40   #3
gillberry
VOC Member

We have the estate version just need a good model maker to put it together

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 21:03   #4
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
We have the estate version just need a good model maker to put it together
Really looking forward to building mine! However, it's not going to be a simple job, so if you have a good friend who is an experienced model builder, may be worth asking if they would like to build your one, as it won't be cost effective to pay someone to build it. When I do get round to starting on my estate kit (won't be for quite a while though) I'll probably have a build thread on one of the car modelling forums, if that would be of interest.

When I first saw the saloon kit advertised, I asked Air Trax about an estate, but at that time they didn't know for certain whether there would be one so I bought the saloon with the intention of converting it myself. However, due to having expressed an interest in an estate, when they did start on the masters for the estate, we had quite a lot of correspondence e.g. about the differences in the rear chassis, and I was also sent quite a few work-in-progress photos for comments and feedback on the accuracy of the shape, which I think they have done a pretty good job of.

Tbh, if it doesn't sell, I'm now very tempted to convert this saloon kit into a Coune drophead...

The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 21:22   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

"Tbh, if it doesn't sell, I'm now very tempted to convert this saloon kit into a Coune drophead... "

Somewhere tucked away I have an unmade resin kit for a drop head. 1:43 though. Bought about 1990 from a Belgian company. From memory a bit on the crude side but a good shape. I'll have to have a think about where it is!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 22:03   #6
222s
Amazoniste

Hi Derek, I'd be very interested to see some pics when you do locate it! When googling for reference pics of the Coune car to remind myself of the visual differences compared to a standard 130, and thus what modifications would be needed, I think I saw some of a 1:43rd model, so that may have been a built up version of the kit you mentioned. Will have to see if I can find it again! Cheers

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 06:13   #7
michellle

Hi guys,

Really great pics of this Air Trax kits. Tapani makes indeed nice stuff.

I would also be interested in some pics of your older kit from that Belgian producer.

The only Amazon Coune model I'm aware off is this 1:43 scale kit : http://www.minivolvo.lu/6/post/2011/...le-sommer.html
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 20:54   #8
pez
VOC Member

Hi paul

As a fellow estate owner
I really fancy building one of the air trax kits.
I have the five different colours of the minichamps 1:43 scale estates.
But dont fancy pulling one apart to paint dark green!
Still waiting for revel to bring out a 1:18 scale one!

Wheres the best place to order an air trax kit?
Is there a uk supplier?
Or would i have to go direct to them?

Cheers
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 11:38   #9
222s
Amazoniste

Tbh, I reckon it would probably be easier to change the colour on one of your Minichamps models, than build the Air Trax kit! That P1800 shown above has taken a lot of work just to get it to the stage shown, and I'm not brave enough yet to start on the Amazon estate. If you'd like some pics of the estate kit, let me know. Regarding ordering one, PM me with your email address, and I'll send a copy of the latest pdf of Air Trax's product & price list (also includes their contact details for ordering directly from them).

Sadly I very much doubt that Revell will do the estate version of their 1:18 diecast Amazon two door as based on the rest of their diecast range, I haven't seen them do such major variations with other models. I have a few of the two door saloons, one of which is intended to be converted into an estate (hasn't gone beyond the stage of roughing out the templates to get the shape right), still with all opening panels. However like the Air Trax kits, it's a very long term project though!

Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 21:02   #10
222s
Amazoniste

Bump - still for sale.