Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exhaust problem on a T6 engine

Views : 93

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 18:17   #1
330hp Wagon

Default Exhaust problem on a T6 engine

I recently bought a 2014 v60 3.0 T6 with 170.000km (105.000miles) and its been great, apart from a exhaust /undiagnosed problem (mostly likely exhaust related). On cold starts, from the middle of a car/ what feels like right under the driver, (not under the bonnet, and its not a belt squeak also it cant be as I changed the accesory belt, the one and only belt on these T6's, last month) there is always only on cold starts, a squeak for 2-3 seconds and then it dissapears. On warm starts there is nothing, and on hard acceleration or over 150-200kph (90-120mph) (German Autobahn for the win) there is a horrible very apperent burning smell. And 2 times I got a P0420 error (those times it came on when the car wasnt being driven hard) I happen to believe that the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking and as it warms up it seals the gap as it expands, but what doesnt make sense to me is how can it instantly warm up in 2-3 seconds on a 1 degree weather on a cold start. Also if it warms up and seals up the gap, then why is is leaking when driven hard.

Another theary is that the Catalytic converter or the Muffler or both are blocked with sooth that the exhaust gasses have no where to go but couldnt be sure. I was thinking also this theory due to how dark the exhaust tips inside was. Normal blacking is acceptable on a petrol car but complete dark black sooth like stuff, I dont think so. (dont think its burnt oil, I just changed the oil a month ago as well and the level seems fine to me and these engines generally dont have a tendency, I believe, to burn oil)

Since the T6 is known for having not the best emissions, I wanted to ask if this is a one time occurance or happened to some people and maybe have an idea on what I can do? Because I have been driving like this for 2 months nearly and performance is fine and fuel economy is, well... bad but thats whats to be expected from these engines, (around 14liters/100km)

I have seen on youtube for 3.2's how hard it is to change the manifold gasket so before I start solving this problem with the most expensive/challenging solution, I wanted to ask if anyone have any ideas.
330hp Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust manifold gasket, exhaust noise, exhaust system, v60 t6