Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 Coolant Problem

Views : 3341

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2016, 12:48   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Yes, excess oil caused by diesel dilution will bring on the Engine Mangement light. You need to have the oil drained.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 13:52   #12
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi is the garage that did you service a Volvo garage ? If not it sounds as if they have over filled it with oil this will cause the "engine service required" warning . Take it back and ask them to remove half a Liter of oil . The level can be checked manually with the small dipstick fitted at the bottom left of the crankcase just above the sump/crankcase joint. The level should be half way between the high and low marks for correct level. Once level has been corrected the light will reset after a 20 minute drive or the garage should be able to reset with their diagnostic gear. It's a common occurrence with non Volvo or garages unfamiliar with the model. As TT 82 says oil dilution during DPF regeneration can cause the same warning message but as you have just had a service I'd suspect it has been overfilled .Hope it helps.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Sep 5th, 2016 at 13:55.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 15:12   #13
green van man
Premier Member

Be aware that the electronic gauge can also lie. Mine was happily telling me that the oil level was 100% when in fact it was only just above the min mark on the dipstick. Good job I did a manual check before towing 450 miles to Scotland.
Half a litre of oil into it and electronic gauge still said 100% level.
Why put the damn thing there if it's not accurate. Dealer said they calibrate it every service, I asked that they calibrate it better in future, but I do not trust it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 18:12   #14
Raddish

Hi, I have a d5 auto xc70, when I brake heavy mine comes up that I have a low level, normal driving is fine and the level is normally fine. Year ago when I cam belt changed at 100000 miles, garage said that water pump was leaking slightly and changed my pump, this stopped my previous slight loss, not had a loss since, but does flash up under heavy braking
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 18:43   #15
fnaz

Default Similar experience

I had a similar experience with my 59 plate xc70. Turned out to be a break in the radiator side where plastic meets metal. Even technician called out on guarantee could not find a leak visually and it was only identified in dealers after pressure test. Radiator replaced under guarantee and I was told the fault is more common on xc60 models. Hope this helps a little.
fnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fnaz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 22:57   #16
M74

Default Update

Hi
Thanks for responses so far.
Garage did the sniff test and it was negative. They think it might, be something to do with the expansion tank and the return pipe.
Any thoughts as to what to do next?
Car is not overheating and the air fills the expansion tank on shorter journeys. I can drive on motorway for 100+ miles and the coolant low light does not come on but when I move to stop start commuter traffic the light comes on sometimes even just after a few miles.
FNAZ - were you losing coolant or were you just building up air in the expansion tank? I'm not losing any coolant at all.
M74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 13:43   #17
Konda

I'm also getting the intermittant coolant low warning for the last week or two (D5 2011). This developped when sat at 2.5k rpm on the motorway for about 2hrs. No loss of power or engine temp warnings. I pulled over at the services, worried when the light stayed on and wouldnt blink off again. Header tank was about 25mm under the min. line, I took the cap off to top up with a bit of water (that's all I had with me at the time) and the level jumped up to max, and stayed there for the rest of the trip.

I am getting some coolant loss, but not constant. I'll top it up, and it'll be fine for a couple of days then all of a sudden it will lose 250-500ml since the last time I checked it. (tends to be before every journey now)

Removing the cap when the engine is cold and I always get the pressure release and the level will typically rise about 25mm in the expansion tank.

Mine is an ex-police job sitting at 156k, and I'm not sure when the water pump got done. That's probably my next thing to check. I've not tried a garage yet, as I don't want to get slapped with a huge labour bill for what might be a simple fix.
Konda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 14:15   #18
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Sounds like you may have an air lock somewhere in the system. Have you tried bleeding the system to remove possible air from all the hoses? Perhaps you might completely drain the system and refill it, bleeding the air in the recommended fashion to ensure that it has all been removed. (This is not based on specific Volvo experience but on experience with the introduction of air into cooling systems on other cars.)
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 20:44   #19
Hasse53

I have the same problem as M74 with my sons 2011 D3 V70. No smell of exhaust in the expansion tank. The car runs perfectly but there is always a pressure in the coolant system even if the engine is cold. In summer the problem decreases and in winter it gets worse.
My theory is that the o-ring fitted to the coolant return pipe is bad. On engine warm up air is sucked into the coolant system.

An odd thing is that when I made the big service(cambelt and coolant pump) the spare part guy(at Volvo dealership) said that this o-ring should be replaced. I bought the o-ring but it is a real PITA to shange it because the EGR cooler has to be removed. However I will do it at next service.

Would be nice to have comments from Clan...
Hasse53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hasse53 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 20:54   #20
M74

Sounds the same as mine. Do you see a frothing in the expansion tank when the car is revved. It certainly looks like air is being drawn in from somewhere close to the expansion tank.
Other thought was if it was something to do with the water pump drawing in air.
M74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant level, v70 d5