Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC Compressor Not Starting (V50 24i)

Views : 521

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2022, 16:29   #1
eric19371
Clueless

Default AC Compressor Not Starting (V50 24i)

Good (very hot) day to you all,

The AC compressor in my V50 isn't starting, I am used to hearing the click on/off as the compressor starts but it seems to be doing absolutely nothing.

It was topped up in the summer before the first lockdown at the same time I took it in to have the shims on the compressor clutch adjusted and the engineer said that the condenser wasn't in great condition and might slowly lose refrigerant (he did some sort of test with some sort of green substance). This year when I started to use the car again this year there is no clicking of the compressor and certainly no cool air.

I have read in another forum that if there is low pressure in the system this could be the cause as the compressor won't start if there isn't. I will get a friend who is an AC engineer to pressure test it.

The fuse for AC is okay. No idea how to rest relay for same system. Happy to do the removal and fitting of new parts if needed.

Any ideas, information or suggestion that might help?

Last edited by eric19371; Jul 19th, 2022 at 16:31.
eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 17:10   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I had it go in a Cavalier and that was a hose some plank positioned across the exhaust manifold protected by a flimsy heat shielding made of bacofoil,

My Insignia it died in as well after about 8 years of age, I suspected the clutch as it wouldn't spin at all, I didn't chase it as it was beyond economic reasoning for me,

If you want to test the clutch it's on the pump at the bottom of the aux belt circuit, simply with the engine off try to turn the central part of the pulley, the part of the pulley the belt is on won't move it's the metal inner face you need to spin,

Another thing that stops it is the intercooler aka radiator, if this blocks up inside it trips the safety shutdown, however sometimes it's as simple as too many dead bugs blocking the fins and gentle cleaning can get it working again, the bugs stop it cooling properly and then the safety kicks in.

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 19th, 2022 at 17:15.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 14:23   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

by the compressor not starting, do you mean the ac clutch isnt engaging correctly?

These are common issues on this platform if it is, will either need some shims in to fill the gap or a new compressor.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 11:18   #4
eric19371
Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
by the compressor not starting, do you mean the ac clutch isnt engaging correctly?

These are common issues on this platform if it is, will either need some shims in to fill the gap or a new compressor.
No it wasn't starting at all. I had to have the shims done a few years ago.

I was able to get the system tested a couple of days ago. It has zero pressure and it looks like the condenser has a major leak so I will get that replaced as soon as time allows.

eric19371 is offline   Reply With Quote