Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

94 850t coolant system -

Views : 1101

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 17:58   #1
jwc850t 94

After having a new radiator installed at a dealer, I had severe overheating. I've flushed the coolant system and now have a lead on the driver's side on top of the engine. Does anyone have any suggestions on the source of this leak? I removed the air filter housing but couldn't see where the water was leaking from, but am sure it is on that side of the engine.

I've tried to replace the thermostat but could only losen one of the torx bolts. Does anyone have a suggestion to help losen these bolts, I really don't want to strip the trox fitting.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 19:37   #2
Simon McL

You might have tried this but to get a really good fit in the screw head you can get a socket with a TORX 40 bit fitted, this should help you use a bit more force ! I think they are about £2.99 in halfords.

good luck !

Si

850 GLT

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 00:24   #3
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: 94 850t coolant system -

I seem to remember that a couple of 3/8 extensions and a swivel and/or flexi were needed along with the correct torx driver, the access is almost impossible, maybe a hose or something can be removed to help a bit, but it is possible with the correct tools.

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2002, 19:50   #4
TAMC

hi get a good fitting tofx driver fit it into the screw fitting, hammer down on to the driver 6/7 times this helps break the seal that the screw gets, then loosen .you may only get one chance so make sure the driver your using is a tight fit.good luck.tc
Old Jul 1st, 2002, 15:48   #5
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: 94 850t coolant system -

>You might have tried this but to get a really good fit in
>the screw head you can get a socket with a TORX 40 bit
>fitted, this should help you use a bit more force ! I think
>they are about £2.99 in halfords.
>
>good luck !
>
>Si
>
>850 GLT

Hi ya,

I agree I have a Hal fords tool set with a 40 TORX in it. If you use a 1/2-size extension into a socket and press down firmly it will undo I promise as I did mine a few months back, you don't need any else.

When you take the top of the t-stat make sure you see which way the ARROW is pointing on it. I mad the mistake of checking. I changed the coolant, pipes and the t-stat and put it all back together. On that night I realised I had put the t-stat back to front, so it was a quick impresarios to flip it round and top up with what I had left over from my mix.

As I side note I use Volvo antifreeze with distilled water 50/50 with no probs.

Also if you are suffering possible leaks I would replace the hoses and clamps as I did they were over 8 years old and 160k plus on them!

Hope this helps,

Mark.
94 850glt 2l 20v 176k...
markas is offline   Reply With Quote