Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

anyone else feel smug while refuelling???

Views : 5628

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2009, 21:30   #21
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have a V70 D5 and a T5 , the D5 always does over twice the mpg of the T5 no matter what the driving style ,( I have had up to 80mpg from the D5 and 37 mpg from the T5 but in both cases its just not a practical way to drive a car 25 and 55mpg are more realistic , ) and I thought that mpg on lpg is slightly worse than petrol so on this basis its not more economical than diesel even though its half the price . However doing it the way fatlad has done it makes sense to me and if I can find the bits for the same cost I will be doing the same to my T5 , it would turn it from its present gasguzzler status to a viable long distance car , would even consider gettting rid of the D5 as they seem to be going up in price again on the second hand market .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 23:15   #22
pacman67
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
A friend of mine must feel extremely smug, he's running his diesel Landrover on heating oil at 30p a litre (but maybe lpg is cheaper than that?)
Hope he,s not doing that on the road, as its illegal, and the fine is pretty damm big. plus heating oil is Kerosene isn,t it, does a a landrover run on that? Last time i bought heating oil it was more like 46p a litre.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:25   #23
Bernard333
Premier Member

Heating oil is kero and any diesel will run on it but it is illegal to use it on a public road . The police seem to turn a blind eye to tractors but even the basic plod around here know how to pull off the fuel pipe under the bonnet and check for red or green and when they stop a diesel car with no mot/tax/insurance they know they will have a good chance of finding its running on kero .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 21:48   #24
magneto

Default Smug in the rain too?

In 'Sun trap of the Midlands' Stoke on Trent we enjoy some of the cheapest gas around at about 38ppl. In my experience a lot of these sources are not under canopy, and personally standing in the wind/rain for ages while it fills isn't pleasant.
Would an entrepeneurial (took some spelling that - is it right?) member make a telescopic sprung stick with rubber 'feet' at each end that can be between car and button? No safety issue as it stops when full anyway.
I think it's only fair I get the first one free for this surefire moneyspinner.....

By the way I just love being referred to as 'Junior Member'. Just wish I had one, and of course somewhere to put it occasionally.

Last edited by magneto; Nov 6th, 2009 at 21:53.
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 17:14   #25
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
In 'Sun trap of the Midlands' Stoke on Trent we enjoy some of the cheapest gas around at about 38ppl. In my experience a lot of these sources are not under canopy, and personally standing in the wind/rain for ages while it fills isn't pleasant.
Would an entrepeneurial (took some spelling that - is it right?) member make a telescopic sprung stick with rubber 'feet' at each end that can be between car and button? No safety issue as it stops when full anyway.
I think it's only fair I get the first one free for this surefire moneyspinner.....

By the way I just love being referred to as 'Junior Member'. Just wish I had one, and of course somewhere to put it occasionally.
Where do you fill up for 38p? Even at gailey its 49 now!!
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:45   #26
magneto

Default Gas price

I have to admit there has been a price rise - paid 38.5p today... I use Autogas, Salem St., Etruria, Stoke on Trent. Satnav ST1 5PR. There is an adjacent gas supplier too but some time ago, prior to Autogas moving next door to them I popped in to ask about the price of their gas. It was about 10ppl more and the off hand, miserable git just walked off when I didn't want any (I was in a diesel on the day as it happens) muttering that their gas was accurately billed - intimating that the competitors metering was fiddled. His loss.
On my 240GLT trip 238 miles were showing and it cost £19.98 to fill up. It can do more as this included a bit of trailer towing and commuting. Actually, taking the trailer off is the most rewarding bit of tuning I've ever come across.
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 13:50   #27
James_N
VOC Member

wow that is cheap. if i manage to get my 740 estate back on the road, i'll bear that in mind! thanks
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:54   #28
FatLadZ

well ive just purchased a kit for my wifes alfa romeo
she drives 12,000 miles a year
but managed to get a full sequential kit for the front end for £195 delivered brand new
FatLadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:03   #29
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLadZ View Post
well ive just purchased a kit for my wifes alfa romeo
she drives 12,000 miles a year
but managed to get a full sequential kit for the front end for £195 delivered brand new
Hi
As a few no that my air box etc distroyed it self after a big back fire,
Well I have not been able to use golden juce for about almost 3 months , just finished just over 1500 mile hol with caravan in the West Country LPG most 60p ppl in the middle of nowhare tp 46ppl at Par , in Cornwall .
saved about 80 odd %.
That brings a smile every time
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 23:27   #30
kev ryder

dont get caught,illegal,no tax on heating oil
kev ryder is offline   Reply With Quote