Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disabling Daylight running lights

Views : 23836

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 21:14   #1
mrgreen

Default Disabling Daylight running lights

Apologies if this is a well worn path- I suspect it might be. Have just acquired a V50 drivE which I'm very pleased with. I'd like to disable the DRL though. Can this only be done through a dealer? Thanks for any advice!
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 21:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

yes it can with a chargable software but why? Its a well proved safety device proved by voilvo over the last 34 years ,, you will need to tell your insurance too ...
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:20   #3
moggy82
Unknown

Dont bother, if you then turn your lights on which you will have to now your headlamp washers will go all the time, leaving it in DRL mode they dont go off and will save you the money in screenwash which you can then spend on bulbs and still make a saving
moggy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:27   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

DRL's will be mandatory from 2011 anyway.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:41   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

you should get an aveage of 2 years from the bulbs assuming you use the car a lot its no big hardship replacing both bulbs every 2 years , when your first bulb goes , go to the dealer and get 2 genuine volvo long life bulbs and change both . You will be ok for around 2 years then

If you go somewhere else and get standard bulbs you will change the faulty one , all ok ... then a month later the other one will go .. , then 6 monhs later the first one you changed will go , then 6 months later the second one you changed will go , and so on ... and you will be cursing that you are " always changing the headlamp bulbs " ....
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 01:37   #6
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

I have very bright cluster LEDs as sidelights, and those are sufficient as DRL's. I dont want my headlamps on 24 hours a day, as i spent time and effort with subtle tinting on my front lights, and this cannot be seen with my headlamps on.

Using dipped beam as DRL is just a bad design.

Those orange 'parking lights' on the side of volvo's are bright enough as DRL's. Add sidelights to the mix and people are going to see you. Add DRL dipped beam and its overkill.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:51   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Fenton, I quite agree with you here. A cluster of LED lights is all that is required as it serves the purpose of highlighting where you are to other drivers. Audi have got it spot on with their LED DRL. It looks great, it saves your dipped lights and it gives the range a signature.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:55   #8
andycallaghan
VOC Member

I drive with my lights on all the time.
It doesn't use more fuel, won't cause any problems with battery really, and will cost about £20 every couple of years on bulbs.
It's worth being seen, especially at this time of year.

Also, I'm sure that heaven forbid you were in an accident, it would prove favourable in your direction that you had headlights on (within reason of course).
andycallaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:33   #9
Volvo2B
On The Go

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgreen View Post
Apologies if this is a well worn path- I suspect it might be. Have just acquired a V50 drivE which I'm very pleased with. I'd like to disable the DRL though. Can this only be done through a dealer? Thanks for any advice!
Hi there, I had my S40 D5 DRLs disabled by the dealer, my view being I can't be seen in the summer driving with sunglasses whilst the lights are permanently on!! ;-)

A few years ago whilst I was in my V50, I was once asked in the summer by an Audi driver at the traffic lights to turn off my lights.....I return his kind suggestion with...."Its a Volvo!" Funny hey that Audi and most cars these days have adapted the DRL approach.

Regarding fuel economy, I have noticed losing a few MPG when running with DRLs. That may be due to the recent weather, but I look forward to running DRLs (with and without) on a tank full of fuel in better weather and see what range the car delivers.
Volvo2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 13:00   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2B View Post

A few years ago whilst I was in my V50, I was once asked in the summer by an Audi driver at the traffic lights to turn off my lights.....I return his kind suggestion with...."Its a Volvo!" Funny hey that Audi and most cars these days have adapted the DRL approach.

Regarding fuel economy, I have noticed losing a few MPG when running with DRLs. That may be due to the recent weather, but I look forward to running DRLs (with and without) on a tank full of fuel in better weather and see what range the car delivers.
I lose 3-5mpg in the winter on fuel economy so bear that in mind. You will get a better comparison from the Spring onwards.

I too am fed up with people telling me my lights are on. I knew before getting my Volvo that the lights are always on Swedish cars, Volvo & Saab, so why do sooooo many others not. There are also a load of other cars that do the same now. I don't object to the DRL but I do object to annoying people smugly telling me my lights are on. (this rant has not been helped by the desperate England score from SA, I am not calm)