Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 72967

Replies : 1345

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2023, 07:06   #131
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
Watch last night's Fifth Gear Recharge, three old EVS all with plenty left in the tank. Why not unless you are worried that you might see something that challenges your preconceptions?
I'll have a look for it as the show does actually focus on real world cars vs TG's everything we can't afford approach.

I know you think I'm reckless but I do actually take an interest in "what makes the world go round" I'm also although not a disciple of CC GW or whatever new name the suits want to give it this year I would if it was up to me start a program to replant the world with as many and as many species of trees as I possibly could because trees are our lungs as well. Having watched the ignorance of man in the past and his disposal techniques is why I'm not behind the lithium route, if new battery tech that doesn't involve (a) minerals that are obtained through others misery and (b) can be recycled fully or disposed of like water soluble hence why natural absorbents and filtration are the way forwards imo, granted there's always going to be some sort of "dirt" in anything we make and the making of somethings is as essential as avoiding creating the "dirt". If it hasn't already leaked we have to ask ourselves what we've ordered up for ourselves in the future with all the spent nuke fuel that's sitting in the deep trenches of the oceans in degrading barrels, if that gets out which it will the first things to potentially go will be the undersea farms and then the fish and how will we deal with Cod & Chips becoming Raddock & Chips, next will be the birds and as clouds form from the seas we'll be showering in Radioactive water eventually, maybe it's half life might not be as bad as first thought and Chernobyl & ***ushima studies may show instead of semi permanent wastelands the land either returns to harmless within 100 years or we adapt to be able to live healthy lives with enhanced levels of radiation.

I actually like the concept of EV's tbh, what I don't like is the half arsed effort to bring them in, the power has to come from a source where we're not just moving the bad effect to another area, the waste has to be negated and the creation also needs to "clean" up it's act. The future of an EV and it may come in time is there will be little or no batteries in them and your car will be powered by automatic inductive charging built into the road itself, this will mean the cars are lighter, there will be no cables or bumper car pick up dragging along the floor or overhead, it will also mean no downtime for the car and no range limits. So effectively the car will only carry enough batteries for a 30 mile range and all the motorways and dual carriageways will be inductive tarmac as such.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 11:10   #132
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

We need to cultivate algae as well as plant trees. Actually we need to stop chopping down forests to feed EVs with their energy. The ground roots and other matter in ancient forests absorb more co2 than the trees. They also help the water cycle, and water is a more significant greenhouse gas than co2.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 09:18   #133
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
We need to cultivate algae as well as plant trees. Actually we need to stop chopping down forests to feed EVs with their energy. The ground roots and other matter in ancient forests absorb more co2 than the trees. They also help the water cycle, and water is a more significant greenhouse gas than co2.
A lot of folks really don't realise how much we rely on mother nature to balance us out.

One of the biggest hoo ha's is McDonalds, I'm using them as an example but they aren't alone in this where poor people in places like the Amazon are clearing trees to create livestock area's, there are plenty of already clear area's around the world to do this but the one factor in it is price, McD's and others create these issues purely to make more profit and I'd hazard a guess and suggest the same thing happened in "ancient" Egypt long before the official version of events are set in.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 20:10   #134
Forg

With regenerative braking shouldn't the pads touch the discs LESS often, meaning pads & discs wear less quickly? I thought regenerative braking was done by using the axles as generators, no touching of surfaces required?
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 21:16   #135
Existential Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
With regenerative braking shouldn't the pads touch the discs LESS often, meaning pads & discs wear less quickly? I thought regenerative braking was done by using the axles as generators, no touching of surfaces required?
Away with your facts and logic. EVs are dangerous, pointless, soulless and expensive to repair, they also break down a lot and are akways running out of charge. Haven't you read ANYTHING about them? 🤣
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Existential Crisis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 22:17   #136
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
exactly ... so this may lead to higher corrosion rates than we are used to.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 05:30   #137
Forg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
exactly ... so this may lead to higher corrosion rates than we are used to.
I only use my 242 probably once every 6 weeks on average, and it's still on the original discs & pads I bought ready for first registration in 2005.
Yearly inspections with a brake-test too, so it's not just that I'm clueless about the brakes (not saying I'm not - but the mechanic I got to isn't ).

Daily or even weekly driven EV's therefore have their discs & pads used more regularly than my car uses it's brakes; so if mine haven't corroded, those EV's ones won't.

There are valid issues with EV's, but not many.
I may miss some, but the only ones which occur to me right now are:
(1) purchase price - they're no more exxy than an Audi, many people have the wherewithal to buy an Audi but many don't
(2) charge availability - this is an issue for some, not for all
(3) the content of current batteries - lithium for example & how it's obtained

Numbers 1 & 2 are improving all the time, and for many they're currently not a problem anyway. Really the only big current problem I see is number 3, and I don't think it's a small problem either ... hopefully it will go away as newer battery tech comes online (eg. "flow batteries"), but there's no solid guarantee that'll happen in the immediate future, I can't see it within 5 years for example.

Environmentally-speaking you're better off keeping your old ICE going than buying a new car of any sort; but a new EV isn't actually any WORSE for the environment than a new ICE vehicle, there're problems with them all.

Last edited by Forg; Jan 30th, 2023 at 06:13.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 14:24   #138
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
Away with your facts and logic. EVs are dangerous, pointless, soulless and expensive to repair, they also break down a lot and are akways running out of charge. Haven't you read ANYTHING about them? 🤣
I am so please to see you walk towards the light on this matter, I thought for a minute I'd have to really work on you to get you to see it but hey as if by magic "Shaaaaaazzzaam!" here you are ready to take on the great fight against evil in the war of electron propulsion.

I have this warm glowing feeling today and it's not because I put new brushes in the reactor cores.

Old Jan 31st, 2023, 09:20   #139
Forg

Ah here we are, a useful summary: https://about.bnef.com/blog/the-life...tric-vehicles/

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Thing I Linked From Bloomberg
27000km: break-even driving distance for equal 2020 BEV and ICE lifecycle CO2 emissions in the U.S.
1.5 years: estimated time to pay back EV manufacturing emissions from driving an EV in the U.S. today
The Following User Says Thank You to Forg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 13:53   #140
Fastpatsilents

A potential game changer

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/b...-b2272024.html
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote