Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric Fuel Pump

Views : 982

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2020, 15:18   #1
P1800Ray

Default Electric Fuel Pump

I’m considering adding an electric fuel pump to my P1800S. It has a new mechanical fuel pump but it takes quite a few attempts to start from cold if left for a week or so (I know, use it more &#128161. Would be nice to hear the ticking noise as the carbs are primed prior to turning over the engine

What bar pump should be used? Is there a preferred brand? I was looking to add it without removing the existing pump. My preference is to mount this under the bonnet rather than near the fuel tank.
Thanks
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 16:37   #2
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

.you need.............

1) a Filter King or some form of pressure regulator--you need this so you dont flood the carbs. Some will tell you that the regulator is not necessary...up to you but given that if the pressure is too high and your carbs cannot take it .... think Crazy World of Arthur Brown ,,google him if you dont know the dance he did. Try to get a regulator that has the inbuilt filter that you can clean out or replace. Some of the cheap sh%t does not have them.

2) A Facet fast road pump..or and equivilant solid state one. If you have SUs or Webers they will run happily. Get a couple of rubber bobbins to mount it and that cuts any noise right down ..if you go for rally type red top interrupter pumps they are noisy and you will pay over the odds for a thing you dont need

3) wiring for said pump to your ignition or a secret switch if you want security

4) finally an inertia fuel cut off switch...second hand will do any car ----just in case like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PUMP...oAAOSwbY5eB5fF but a Ford KA or any make really

5) finally finally a blanking plate where the old pump was on the side of the block..you can make one of those with a gasket

All available off flea bay ,,,if you did not live in an uncivilised place like the South of England I would do the job for you for beer.....and a curry

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"

Last edited by CLIVERALLY; Feb 28th, 2020 at 16:47.
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 17:41   #3
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default pump

My car also sits unused. The turning over of the idle engine is not such a bad thing, it pumps the oil round before firing up. With a good battery its no great shake. I prefer to live with it.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 17:46   #4
P1800Ray

Cliverally, I’ll stand you a curry and throw in a poppadom ;-))
The Following User Says Thank You to P1800Ray For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 21:21   #5
grumpydad

Hi
well you could go the modern boy racer way
or you could go the way Volvo would have gone
it they had wanted to fit a electric pump have a look hear

http://sucarb.co.uk/?SID=1rn2ojugdf2...o7&___store=su

ask them and they will make a recommendation for you
the pumps used on every thing from Morris minor to jag and Bentley
if it was me i would get one with points so in 20 years it dose not tick you just give it a gentle wack
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 21:34   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The pump only wants to be about 3psi

I do prefer a mechanical pump but with how quickly modern petrol evaporates there is sense in going electric
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 07:38   #7
CLIVERALLY
Master Member

Thanks Grumpydad..but hardly a " boy racer" set up. SU fuel pumps were hardly the last word in reliability.They are also cumbersome. But I guess its an option although,
The set up I have described barring the " inertia cut off" switch has been used for about 40 years. Facet small cubed solid state pumps have been proven to be reliable.
Sorry mate ,I cannot see the benefit of putting a SU fuel pump on at all , other than to take up space and costing twice the price.

"Lets turn up the juice and see what shakes loose"

Last edited by CLIVERALLY; Feb 29th, 2020 at 07:46.
CLIVERALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 10:27   #8
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I have another & much older classic car and this issue still comes up from time to time: ~ if the car is left then modern fuels seem to evaporate quickly from the pump. The general consensus is to keep the mechanical pump and I would agree-if it is in good condition then nothing wrong in terms of performance for these to include maintenance.
Some pumps had a hand primer on the older car I mention- very useful nowadays, a good point is also made by Volvo_133 regarding pre lubrication. Trust it helps Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 18:47   #9
P1800Ray

Having looked at some YouTube videos, it seems possible to use the electric pump on a momentary button switch so that it’s only operational when needing to prime the engine. Once the ticking is stopped and it’s primed, the button is released and you can start the car only using the mechanical pump.

Anyone see a problem with this approach? Presumably, the fuel will just flow through the electric pump when not activated.

Also seems a safer option.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 19:14   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Using the electric pump just to prime sounds like a sensible solution
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: