Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Dampers and Springs Replacement

Views : 672

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 20:36   #1
brynmor530

Default Rear Dampers and Springs Replacement

I've been working on replacing the rear dampers and springs. The usual problems with removing bolts rusted into bushes but also problems with getting the right parts. Identifying the suspension spec was the first headache (sorted thanks to information I found on this forum) but in particular, the upper bushes (two per side) for the top of the dampers, have held me up.

My car was registered in December 2000 but is listed on the Volvo parts system as a 2001 spec V40. Not completely implausible as it could have been one of the first built to 2001 specs. According to the Volvo parts system, the top bush of the two upper bushes changed in 2001 (with me so far?) so the Volvo system insists my lowly XS spec, with comfort suspension, has the wrong bushes or must have Nivomat to have the bushes that are on it or at least, the bushes I have are compatible only with Nivomat suspension. The VIN plate suspension code of 3AV2AZ says otherwise (basic comfort suspension, not self-levelling) and the standard dampers/springs I have removed have part numbers and colour coded paint dabs that match up with the VIN plate suspension codes, confirming the Volvo parts system doesn't match my V40. If the Volvo system recognised my car as a 2000 spec, then it would list correctly the bushes, which are actually fitted to it.

By the way, I am certain the parts I have removed are all original.

Anyway, after a brief discussion with FRF Volvo, the correct bushes are on order at no extra cost and I will post back the incorrect ones so a big thank you to Mike at FRF for figuring it all out.

Sorry for the long post but in case it helps anyone, the bushes in question are in the attached photos.

[IMG] https://photos.app.goo.gl/GZx1ijV4VpGsB2Xd8 [/IMG]

Right-hand bush in the pics is the one, that according to the Volvo parts system, changes in 2001 and the one shown, is the earlier one, part number 30870376. The Volvo system will tell you the part number for the top bush is 30865276 but in my case, that was identical to the bush on the left of the photo (the lower of the two upper bushes when installed on the car) which is also part number 30874887. Yes, two part numbers for the same bush!

To confuse things more, I have seen photos on the internet showing the same upper damper bushes as installed on my car, on a 2002 model and indeed, the guide I downloaded from this forum for removing the rear dampers, shows the same bushes as mine on a 2002 V40. Of course, I am assuming they were original to the cars in question, which may not be the case.

Hopefully, all of the above waffle will help somebody else who finds they need to replace those upper rear damper bushes to identify what is installed and replace with like for like, without the trouble of the conflicting information on the Volvo parts system.

Next on my list is the much simpler job of replacing the rear callipers.

Last edited by brynmor530; Jan 23rd, 2019 at 20:50.
brynmor530 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brynmor530 For This Useful Post: