Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speakers crackling, popping & banging

Views : 2400

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 12:29   #1
kiloran

Default Speakers crackling, popping & banging

This is the second minor issue with my new 940. Completely stock audio system (radio-cassette, '93 SE)

It would appear that the speakers are live even when the head unit is switched off and the key is out of the ignition. The car starts making random noises, like it's haunted (well, that's what I've told my 10yo ) - the sort of noise you get when you plug headphones in - pops, crackles, bangs. Only happens when they're not being fed from the head unit. First time it happened I thought the car was falling apart it was so loud. Workaround is to tune the head unit to an empty frequency and leave the volume on the lowest setting, they don't do it then. When I insert the key and move it to the position prior to start there's a noticeable hum, a bit like you'd get without the correct aerial suppressor.

What's the likely issue? Dodgy ground? Bare speaker wires shorting somewhere? Is it normal for the speakers to be live if the key's out of the ignition? I'm only concerned about battery drain if the car stands for a while, it's kind of appropriate a 27yo car should be haunted!
kiloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 00:04   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First question is does it have the separate amplifier or is it the integrally amplified head unit?

Before you answer that incorrectly with "It's the standard system so no amplifiers", on many cars Volvo fitted a separate amplifier.

This is a squarish black box with big fins on it, under the dashboard above the accelerator pedal.

It sounds (no pun intended) as if there is some sort of problem with the amplifier unit and it's causing noises as the capacitors inside discharge on power off.

That's my best guess at the moment but ned more nformation to make a better suggestion.

Meanwhile eject that Ghostbusters Soundtrack tape from the deck and call in the exorcist!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 15:46   #3
kiloran

I'll have a look next time I've got the kick panel off to check the HCV, thanks.
Good point re the caps, that would make sense as they'd retain charge after the key is out. Sound system is otherwise very good, very impressed with it given the size and age of the speakers. Nice warm sound and probably going to dust off my cassette library!
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2020, 19:05   #4
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
This is the second minor issue with my new 940. Completely stock audio system (radio-cassette, '93 SE)

It would appear that the speakers are live even when the head unit is switched off and the key is out of the ignition. The car starts making random noises, like it's haunted (well, that's what I've told my 10yo ) - the sort of noise you get when you plug headphones in - pops, crackles, bangs. Only happens when they're not being fed from the head unit. First time it happened I thought the car was falling apart it was so loud. Workaround is to tune the head unit to an empty frequency and leave the volume on the lowest setting, they don't do it then. When I insert the key and move it to the position prior to start there's a noticeable hum, a bit like you'd get without the correct aerial suppressor.

What's the likely issue? Dodgy ground? Bare speaker wires shorting somewhere? Is it normal for the speakers to be live if the key's out of the ignition? I'm only concerned about battery drain if the car stands for a while, it's kind of appropriate a 27yo car should be haunted!
For anyone with the same problem it turned out that the amp is permanently on. Haven't diagnosed exactly why because there's a simple workaround - just pull fuse 26 until you need tunes (from the driver's seat that's furthest fuse to the right on the bottom row in the fusebox). With the amp fuse out the dash panel speakers still work in all their tinny glory (but, conveniently, loud enough for sat nav)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloran For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2020, 19:53   #5
bob12
bob12

Depends on head unit model number which on the front. At '93 with cassette I would assume it still has an amp.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: