Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS light always on

Views : 1277

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 28th, 2020, 12:23   #1
zchael6

Default ABS light always on

Hi there!

So i went to move the car last night and when i started it up the ABS light stayed on. I went to go to post office today and the light came on again on starting the car and never went off while i was driving it.

As your maybe aware I rebuilt the front brake calipers about 500 miles ago and bled the system. I capped off the front brake lines while i was rebuilding them and had no problems until now. Especially as im meant to be driving the hire van and my partner is driving the car on her own in convoy.

The brakes still work well. I havent managed to stab the brake pedal hard enough to engage the ABS and never have locked the wheels up in my 1100 miles of ownership so im not sure whether the ABS works.

This has all come two days before we move to cornwall for my new job at the hospital in Truro so im a bit worried about driving it all that way now!

Im not sure where to start looking to solve this issue. I dont really want to starting taking things apart as you can imagine as we are busy packing. just wondered whether there was any easy fix or where you think its still safe to drive all that way.

Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2020, 14:43   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Remind me which car you've got Will - model and year?

Is it just the ABS light or are there other lights on with it, e.g. low washer fluid, battery charge etc?

When you're not using the car, pull the brake light fuse and wedge the pedal down. A broom through the steering wheel with the head on the head restraint and the top of the handle on the brake pedal works well, push the brake pedal down as far as it will go then adjust the backrest of the seat until the headrestraint is holding the broom tightly between it and the depressed brake pedal.

Does the speedo still work?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 15:46   #3
zchael6

It’s a 1998 2.3lpt celebration 940 estate

Speedo still works

No other dash lights

Everything seems to be working normally it’s just the ABS light is on.

Ok I’ll wedge the pedal down and see if the speedo still works

Last edited by zchael6; May 28th, 2020 at 15:54.
zchael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 15:58   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Normally this is just a sensor issue. either filled with rust (if you've been cleaning the struts in your overhaul) or a sensor has just broken.

They are hard to replace but easy to test. Just unplug and check for an open circuit. If you have a flashy code reader it might tell you which one, but esasy enough to test yourself anyway.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 19:33   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
It’s a 1998 2.3lpt celebration 940 estate

Speedo still works

No other dash lights

Everything seems to be working normally it’s just the ABS light is on.

Ok I’ll wedge the pedal down and see if the speedo still works
Do the following test for me please :

Start the car and observe the ABS warning light. Don't move the car yet though.

Wait about 30 seconds then drive off gently, keeping the speed below 8mph then after about 30 seconds, bring the speed up slowly to more than 8mph and keep an eye on the ABS light.

Does it stay off until after about 30 seconds or does it come on straightaway or only once you're up to about 8-10mph?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 20:37   #6
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Do the following test for me please :

Start the car and observe the ABS warning light. Don't move the car yet though.

Wait about 30 seconds then drive off gently, keeping the speed below 8mph then after about 30 seconds, bring the speed up slowly to more than 8mph and keep an eye on the ABS light.

Does it stay off until after about 30 seconds or does it come on straightaway or only once you're up to about 8-10mph?
It is on as soon as you start the car, stayed on throughout that test..

Thanks Dave
Old May 28th, 2020, 21:19   #7
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

I would bet on one of the front sensors
Good luck, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; May 28th, 2020 at 21:21.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 22:05   #8
J liddy

Hi my And started just coming on again
I have noticed when i turn ignition for all dash lights to come on when the fault is there the ABS light glows brighter than all other dash lights then turn engine on ABS Light stuck on ! Then another time i turn dash lights on all dash lights same glow including ABS light i turn engine on and ABS LIGHT GOES off with all dash lights
This is strange to me !
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 00:05   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
It is on as soon as you start the car, stayed on throughout that test..

Thanks Dave
Just to be cerratin, it doesn't flicker off momentarily when the engine first catches before the alternator puts the charge light completely out?

I'd check the fuses, also check the earth on the ABS modulator under the bonnet, if that goes that will bring the ABS light on permanently.

I'll try and find out which fuses you need to check but there should be two in your fusebox marked for ABS.

Usually unless a sensor has gone short circuit (rare) it takes until you're moving to show up a fault on a sensor on the ABS-2E system. If the warning light is on permanenlty, it's failing the initial self test which means fuses normally.
I'm not sure on yours if you'll have the over-voltage relay hooked on the side of the ABS ECU, there's a fuse on that as well if so.

It could be the ABS ECU as well but it's unusual they fail. I have a late 940 ABS ECU sat here, bought in error and was working when i got it. Not tried it as it has different connections to mine (same plugs but different pin out so wouldn't have worked) if you get stuck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:02   #10
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Just to be cerratin, it doesn't flicker off momentarily when the engine first catches before the alternator puts the charge light completely out?

I'd check the fuses, also check the earth on the ABS modulator under the bonnet, if that goes that will bring the ABS light on permanently.

I'll try and find out which fuses you need to check but there should be two in your fusebox marked for ABS.

Usually unless a sensor has gone short circuit (rare) it takes until you're moving to show up a fault on a sensor on the ABS-2E system. If the warning light is on permanenlty, it's failing the initial self test which means fuses normally.
I'm not sure on yours if you'll have the over-voltage relay hooked on the side of the ABS ECU, there's a fuse on that as well if so.

It could be the ABS ECU as well but it's unusual they fail. I have a late 940 ABS ECU sat here, bought in error and was working when i got it. Not tried it as it has different connections to mine (same plugs but different pin out so wouldn't have worked) if you get stuck.
This is great info thank a lot. On the move today picking up things for the move in a van but will check the fuses when I get home. As the car is would you drive it?