Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

244 Headlamp Adjusters

Views : 544

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 17:21   #1
Othen
Premier Member

Default 244 Headlamp Adjusters

Hi again,

My 1980 244 has the rectangular type headlamps, like this:

I have just recently acquired the car and had noticed the headlamps being a bit poor by modern standards. Everything checks out electrically, and the glass and reflectors seem fine, so I wondered whether it could just be poor alignment.

I had a look at the adjusters today, which was not a good news story. there seems to be just a single adjuster at the top, a sort of screw through a nylon block into a ball joint that pivots the light up or down a bit. On the left side the nylon block had sheered off some time ago, so the adjuster wasn't particularly doing anything useful:

I took it apart, removed the broken nylon collar and have sandwiched the bracket between two nuts on the existing screw to allow for some adjustment like this:

I think it will work, when it gets dark enough this eve I'll see what the light pattern looks like against the garage door. I suspect the alternative would be to buy a complete headlamp, which would seem a pity for a single adjuster screw.

In the right side the story is slightly different, the nylon part is complete, but the ball end of the adjuster screw seem to be rusted into its socket. I've soaked it in penetrating oil and will see if I can get it moving tomorrow:

... I'll report on progress... and if anyone knows a better way of doing this I'd really like to hear from them :-)
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote