Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

07 xc90 headaches

Views : 1634

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2013, 20:21   #1
Dashi

Unhappy 07 xc90 headaches

hello guys, so this is the deal I have an 07 xc90 fwd 3.2 in my shop atm and I think ill be having nightmares for the next year. SO this car was bought at an auction so I'm going through and doing maintenance and fixing codes. As it sits now it has an insane amount of vacuum in the engine. If I let it run it squeals after a few minutes from it trying to suck air from any opening. It's giving me bank 1 system too lean and bank 2 system to lean codes. I made sure the lines from the fuel tank were clear, no kinks in any hoses, I thought it may be the pcv system clogged but this is the first year they used the 3.2 and I can't find it... I'm at a complete loss here, this is the first Volvo I've done work on and I'm not sure which way is up at this point. ANY help would be greatly appreciated I don't even have the all data info for this car because they generally don't come in....
Dashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 23:58   #2
enscjb

If it's running lean and sounds like its sucking air it sounds as if it could be an air leak somewhere after the throttle in the inlet manifold? Any air not going through the maf sensor will not be measured and so it will not inject enough fuel. It should self trim to a degree but maybe you have a big leak and it cant trim enough. If it's an air leak it will be less pronounced under load when inlet manifold pressure is higher, worst at high speed idle cos vacuum high in the manifold there. Sometimes will drive very roughly, juddering as you go from light to medium load as manifold pressure fluctuates the leak will fluctuate.

Just a thought
enscjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 00:48   #3
Dashi

Yea I'm just trying to pin point where it could possibly be... I know its got some major suction because the dipstick is HARD to pull and the oil cap is impossible to take off while the car is running... It idles around 700 rpms which is a little low but within acceptable limits but its idling really rough. I understand all engines have a certian amount of vacuum in them but this seems extremely high. Thank you for the reply though I need to fix this before we end up taking it back to the auction as is and lose money :/
Old Dec 20th, 2013, 23:05   #4
Dashi

Question

ok so i fixed the excessive vacuum issue by changing out the filter with one more suitable for my area... still getting the too lean codes though, tried cleaning the map sensor and there was no change.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 04:05   #5
KBB
Master Tech

Dashi,

You need to decide if this is a lean condition under load or at idle only. You will need a scan tool that's capable of displaying live data. Look at freeze frame data and look at the RPM value when the DTC was set this will tell you if its an Lean condition under load or lean condition under idle only condition. If you can get back with the above freeze frame data then I can give you a diagnostic path to sort this.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 18:15   #6
enscjb

Good advice, but I'm confused about his reports of a vacuum in the crankcase. Not sure i expect that
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 10:41   #7
KBB
Master Tech

vacuum in the crank case at idle is normal as this is when manifold vacuume is at it highest, I would be more concerned if the was pressure in the crank case at idle indicating a blocked PCV system. Any way as he stated the high vacuum he was experiencing (should be around 15-20Hg) at idle engine size dependant was down to a blocked intake air filter.

At cranking the vacuum should be almost zero with the throttle wide open.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 15:41   #8
enscjb

Ah so the breather joins the inlet after the throttle. Ok. He will still need to sort out the lean issue, could be inlet leak still, and that would have been made worse by a blocked air filter i guess although it would need to be very blocked to be restricting flow much at idle? Be surprised if it was running at all well....
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 16:22   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashi View Post
hello guys, so this is the deal I have an 07 xc90 fwd 3.2 in my shop atm and I think ill be having nightmares for the next year. SO this car was bought at an auction so I'm going through and doing maintenance and fixing codes. As it sits now it has an insane amount of vacuum in the engine. If I let it run it squeals after a few minutes from it trying to suck air from any opening. It's giving me bank 1 system too lean and bank 2 system to lean codes. I made sure the lines from the fuel tank were clear, no kinks in any hoses, I thought it may be the pcv system clogged but this is the first year they used the 3.2 and I can't find it... I'm at a complete loss here, this is the first Volvo I've done work on and I'm not sure which way is up at this point. ANY help would be greatly appreciated I don't even have the all data info for this car because they generally don't come in....
you need to change the breather/oilfilter housing assembly it has a vacuum regulator which seems to be stuck open ...