Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Built-in internet access on the Faroe Islands

Views : 634

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2024, 14:18   #1
vonRypp

Default Built-in internet access on the Faroe Islands

Hi,

I am planning to go to the Faroe Islands with my AAOS car, however I couldn’t find any information whether my car would have access to the internet and navigation (GMaps).

Is there any way to pre-download the map for a specific region I am currently not in?
Old May 12th, 2024, 16:19   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Using google maps on my android tablet and phone I can download maps of areas I require, I would think it would be the same on the app in the car, open google maps and then settings in the app.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2024, 20:05   #3
Hadajag

Surely this will depend on whether the provider of the Volvo SIM card (Vodafone?) has a reciprocal ddata agreement with a network provider in the Faroe Islands. I think you may be surprised at the 4g or even 5g coverage in such remote countries.
Old May 13th, 2024, 12:44   #4
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

There is an option to download offline maps within the maps on the car, go into the maps, then settings and offline maps and select your offline maps
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2024, 21:59   #5
vonRypp

Thanks all for the replies. I remembered there was an iption to download maps in Google Maps but I wasn’t sure if it was available for any region or only the one you are currently in (I am away from the car currently and cannot check). I would be happier if I could simply check at Volvo’s whether my car has roaming or not. By the way my service provider is Deutsche Telekom.
Old May 15th, 2024, 09:23   #6
Fibrous

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonRypp View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I remembered there was an iption to download maps in Google Maps but I wasn’t sure if it was available for any region or only the one you are currently in (I am away from the car currently and cannot check). I would be happier if I could simply check at Volvo’s whether my car has roaming or not. By the way my service provider is Deutsche Telekom.
You should certainly be able to check with Volvo what connectivity services are available in the Faroe Islands for your car.
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2024, 10:14   #7
vonRypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrous View Post
You should certainly be able to check with Volvo what connectivity services are available in the Faroe Islands for your car.
I talked to Telekom Hotspot Drive customer service and they forwarded me to my profile landing page for the coverage but I couldn’t find the information there, but I chekced the site on mobile phone, so the desktop version might be more informative (request desktop version didn’t work). I will check on my computer later.
Old May 15th, 2024, 11:17   #8
Tony Gathercole

Couple of thoughts if the built-in SIM doesn't have coverage in the Faroes ...

You could consider equiping yourself with a cheap mobile hotspot (UK prices range from about GBP 20 up for a basic 4G/LTE model) and a local Faroe Islands SIM (Assuming such things are available as pre-loaded data, short-term contract or PAYG). Some mobile phones might also offer multiple SIM/eSIM slots and hotspot provider capability - but watch out for possible impacts on the ability to also make and recieve phone calls. Either could link in the car to the Wifi AAOS capability.

Or, and this might depend on the ability of Google Maps to cache enough coverage of the islands, connecting to a fixed Wifi hotspot from the car when you arrive there might download enough - but this obviously wouldn't give you on-the-road internet connectivity.
Old May 15th, 2024, 12:52   #9
vonRypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gathercole View Post
Couple of thoughts if the built-in SIM doesn't have coverage in the Faroes ...

You could consider equiping yourself with a cheap mobile hotspot (UK prices range from about GBP 20 up for a basic 4G/LTE model) and a local Faroe Islands SIM (Assuming such things are available as pre-loaded data, short-term contract or PAYG). Some mobile phones might also offer multiple SIM/eSIM slots and hotspot provider capability - but watch out for possible impacts on the ability to also make and recieve phone calls. Either could link in the car to the Wifi AAOS capability.

Or, and this might depend on the ability of Google Maps to cache enough coverage of the islands, connecting to a fixed Wifi hotspot from the car when you arrive there might download enough - but this obviously wouldn't give you on-the-road internet connectivity.
Yes that’s plan B as I would need to purchase a mobile data prepaid SIM anyway, because Faroes are not part of the EU roaming agreement so I won’t be able to use my mobile phone subscription.
Old May 15th, 2024, 13:10   #10
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

https://www.telekom.hotspotdrive.com...oductcontracts

"With HotSpot Drive there are no boundaries to the high-speed connectivity in your car, even when you cross national borders: your vehicles’ free volume is valid within the entire EU, Switzerland, Norway and the UK."

Not sure if Faroe Islands would be covered under EU.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote