Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

phil w

Views : 1011

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2012, 18:31   #1
phil w

Default phil w

hello,
we have a '91 240 f/inj volvo 2.3. on cold, damp days it emits a huge amount of exhaust vapour. had it checked by experienced mechanic. no obvious problems. no oil or water loss. good fuel consumption. anyone experienced similar problem? is there a fault? is there a cure? any help greatly appreciated. phil w. p.s. i see no other 240's doing this in similar conditions- it really is a lot of vapour
phil w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 18:44   #2
stephend
Premier Member

My 740 is similar. If you're not losing coolant, then it can't be a head gasket problem. And if the engine is getting up to normal operating temperature, then everything should be ok.

My theory - though I'm probably completely wrong! - is that the exhaust pipe is so long on these cars that the exhaust has cooled enough for the water vapour to form steam at the tail-pipe. Also, I have a hunch that catalytic converters help to reduce the amount of steam at the tail-pipe, because of the temperature they run at, and we're so used to that now that the steam from a car without a cat (I'm guessing yours doesn't have one?) comes as a surprise.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5

Last edited by stephend; Dec 16th, 2012 at 18:46.
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 18:49   #3
Volvon
Master Member

My 240 used to do the same, although it was a carb model. Turned out it was running too rich (excess fuel makes grey smoke). I just dialed in the adjustment screw on the carb and it lessend the grey smoke not sure how you adjust the injection models. But fuel for thought....

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:25   #4
phil w

Default phil w - 240 vapour cloud problem

Many thanks Stephand & Volvon for your help. Our model does have a cat. and I'm wondering if there's problem with that and/or the Lamda sensor. There's no grey smoke, just huge clouds of vapour- enough to fill the rear view mirror! One other thing - on cold start-up it's fine, only when temp. rises does problem happen and it continues when engine is hot. Strange.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:28   #5
stephend
Premier Member

I suspect it's fine, especially if your mechanic has given it the thumbs-up - just keep an eye on it...
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:36   #6
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Could possibly be a lot of water collected in the silencer/back box.

Mike
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:40   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

Does it still throw steam out after a 100 mile blast down the Motorway as that should be enough to dry out the wadding in the silencers.
Moisture will build up in the exhaust especially if lots of short trips which never get the exhaust up to a hot enough temp to clear the water out - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 19:50   #8
phil w

Thanks Stephand & MikeGMT, I'll get the exhaust boxes checked. I'm not losing coolant so there must be water somewhere. Thanks again, Phil
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:22   #9
phil w

Thanks mike, I do a lot of short trips- sounds like there is a build-up of water in the exhaust. I' ll give her a blast down the M20 in the New Year ( might even take my fishing rod ). Thanks again to all of you for your help, Merry Christmas guys, Phil W
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:35   #10
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question

have a look at the water level is it going down if not then theres no water loss, the only other thing it could be if theres a turbo fitted would be a seal starting to fail.

in the winter my 940 is used on a lot of short trips and gives of a lot of white smoke or steam out the exhaust and has done for the last 10 years and as far as i know theres nothing wrong with it.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post: